What is your favourite British Steam Locomotive of all time?

Started by SymonC, May 24, 2011, 08:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengi

I'm not a great steam fan either but mine would be Bittern.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Pendy on May 04, 2012, 09:23:16 PM

Thats ok until your model one breaks - would you order a replacement ? After all once Bittern twice shy

.. rapid exit ->
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

OwL

Quote from: EtchedPixels on May 05, 2012, 12:20:11 AM

Thats ok until your model one breaks - would you order a replacement ? After all once Bittern twice shy

.. rapid exit ->
:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

davieb

.. rapid exit ->

my, my, my  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  ;D

dave  :thumbsup:

upnick

The lines of The Union  Of South  Africa  make  her my  favorite British   steamer   ;)

Sandvika

No contest, since 6220 Coronation was not preserved. It's Duchess of Hamilton, as she was new and is again now.

MattJ

.. rapid exit ->

I think you've Bittern off more than you can chew...

(I think we need more rail puns... another thread if need be!)
They're there for their tea.

GerryB

I have two favourite loco's, both Great Western. Either a 44xx class Small Prairie, or a Small Metro, both are equally beautiful little tank loco's and I would struggle to choose between the two.  :hmmm:

Gerry 

port perran

I have many favourites but 47XX 2-8-0s looked absolutely magnificent to me.
As a GW fan anything western is good but I also loved the Bullied Pacifics (rebuilt) - especially at speed and the 9Fs.
Bit of a fan of the S&D 7Fs as well.
I could go on..........................
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

Greybeema

I model modern but:-

Diffinately the Schools..  Definately BoB/WC/MNs both unre-built and built and Q1's...

Is there a theme forming?
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

MikeDunn

Not surprised to see so many streamliners listed ... I am (pleasantly so  :)) re the original P1 ! 
But I note that no-one has mentioned any of the three classes that had the A4 casings added ...

For me - it would have to be the Hush-Hush (original guise, not the W1 revamp).  Gorgeous engine, too ahead of her day.  Her steam plant got a lot of blame - but it lasted a hellova long time !  Shame they didn't take more time to sort out the bugs when fitted  :(

Mike

4x2

S&D 7F - I rode behind No88 on the West Somerset Railway last year... It was wet, the train was empty and it's mostly up hill out of Minehead - The driver opened her right up (25 mph my butt !  :-X) and the noise was incredible, every chuff felt like the air was being torn out of my lungs and i was in the first coach leaning out as you do... IT WAS AWESOME !

Anyway, that trip has stuck with me and every time this subject comes up i'll be chanting 7F, 7F, 7F etc... :heart2:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Plainline.

Well for me, it's definately a 9F, followed by an A4 in Garter Blue!

the old man

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%