!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Northfleet Station - North Kent Line  (Read 13001 times)

Offline Greybeema

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
Northfleet Station - North Kent Line
« on: March 31, 2013, 05:04:35 pm »
Just put a new album up of my new layout build (I think) - IOts going to take a while - so we'll see how it goes..  Think the photos should talk for themselves..

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=398

Hope you enjoy it...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: Northfleet Station - North Kent Line
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 05:22:41 pm »
Really, really looking forward to seeing this sparky layout develop and seeing those Southeastern Networkers on the track.

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Greybeema

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 05:25:18 pm »
Still only built the first one Pengy - but I have plans for more...

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Online darve

• N Gauge Society Number: 21716
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 01:31:01 pm »
Looking forward to seeing this develop. I grew up in Gravesend so am very familiar with the area (my own layout - with it's own dust covered thread here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=5717.msg63751#msg63751 - is located there so i try to go back to see my mum (and disappear into the loft) every couple of weeks.)

I'm also a supporter of Ebbsfleet United so use Northfleet quite a lot (and Ebbsfleet) - presume you wont be modelling Stonebridge Rd  :D :no:

Offline Greybeema

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:22:54 pm »
Have been doing some work on Northfleet whilst on holiday which basically consisted of laying the track and doing the wiring.  This has been largely successful but obviously there is the usual fettling to do - especially around the board joints where the track gap is less than satisfactory.

I also have a problem with the power supply to the point vee on one of the points leading towards Northfleet Cement Works (off scene).  Its easily fixable but is dependent on me gaining possesion of the Dining Room table to set up the layout..

The other issue I have is that when the DCC locos motors start to rotate it looks like the torque somehow manages to lift the wheels from the track and break the connection thus stalling the loco.  Need to look at this much more closely and see if I can figure it out.  It might just be a case of a good track and wheel clean but it is frustrating.  It seems to effect the Class 66's more (bogie length?) and then not all of them.  I'll get it figured (also wondering if its due to the number of locos (3), size of the layout 9' X2'9" and power output of the NCE Powercab (droppers about every 3').

Anyway as I said the first test session was relatively successful.  Obviously there is no scenic treatment yet.  Just the bare boards.  I thought I would put a video of the test and you can have a look for yourself.

I am sorry about the quality of the video but to explain the view might help.  The first part of the video was filmed as if you were standing on Northfleet Up platform and you are looking east towards Gravesend.  Northfleet Station Building (still the original building) is on the left.  The Sidings on the right are for Northfleet Yard leading down towards the Cement Works.  In reality this line loops under the mainline North towards the works..  The Line down the left is the staging area (no screening in place yet..

Enough wittering on..  Video below...

http://youtu.be/s3q0aZpOlJU

Hope you enjoy it...

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 07:16:09 am »
Hope you enjoy it...

Enjoy it? What an understatement! ;D

Nice long trains, mixture of diesels and MUs, and superelevated curves unless I'm much mistaken? ;)

Excellent video, will be watching your progress 8)

Paul

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 06:47:06 pm »
Love the video and the trains!  :thankyousign:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Greybeema

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 06:52:44 pm »

Nice long trains, mixture of diesels and MUs, and superelevated curves unless I'm much mistaken? ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for responding Paul.

Yes I have elevated the curves.  It was a bit of an experiment as, until the train runs over it, it is difficult to tell if it is right but it seems to have worked. 

More fettling to do on the running - but I'll get that sorted.

I need to figure out how to build some removable scenery.  I think I'll build the embankment sides on permanently on to the board but the section between the enbankment and staging area which is mainly housing and increases in height to the back (higher at the station end) will need to be removable for when I store the layout in the attic.  I should be able to disguise the join..

If you have a look on GoogleEarth you can compare to the real thing..

Offline Mr chapman

• N Gauge Society Number: 21988
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 11:15:33 pm »
Nice to see another layout based in kent :) And a belter too! The elevated curves are a nice touch and not oftern modelled. I like the vid  :claphappy: I could watch the 66 marshal wagons wagons all day, especially with the CEP in the background. I also like the clickety clack a lot that you get from your track.  :thankyousign:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:57:31 pm by Mr chapman »
DCC southern modeller

Offline Greybeema

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 08:17:30 am »
The "Clickerty, Clack" is do to poor track joints I'm afraid.  I am hoping its just where I bolted the boards together rather than a mid alignment.  Also the issue with DCC needs to be sorted. 

I have joined the droppers to the bus wires by choc block type joiners - I am wondering if I should go back with solder tags….

Any thoughts?  Would the above behaviour be caused by voltage drop? 

Offline Greybeema

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 05:31:01 pm »
Got the hump with it today...  Nothing I do seems to makes a difference....

Got the DCC running ok...  Worked well for half an hour then started playing up...  Locos stalling imediately on start up..

My Dapol 66 has decided it doesn't like the tight curves for the cement works.  The bogie swings well enough but I think it might be swinging beyond the limit of the pick up on the bogie/chassis mount as the loco just goes dead - once on the straight - then no problem...

Yard point now working again   :bounce: but the Farish Class 66 has decided that its going to short it on the way through.. ??? - it didn't short last week!!!

So I have done the sensible thing - Disassembled it for travel - and put it upstairs.  Next weekend maybe...

Offline Mr chapman

• N Gauge Society Number: 21988
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 06:50:05 pm »
Ive never had a problem with choc blocks, I use them on most jobs. Perhaps you could try running two trains and see if this improves things? Dapol 66 locos will run on 9 inch curves so the track should be fine. I wonder if the elevation could be causing problems? Have you got any flat setrack you could test them on?
DCC southern modeller

Offline Belated

• Sadly Passed Away
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21061
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 10:35:58 pm »
I know nuffin!!!

But, the problem with bogies stalling and lifting sounds more like the gears jamming to me.  Look for foreign material in the gears or if the gears are not sitting together properly, sometimes caused by the first problem (foreign material) or not sitting in the bogies right - worn or misshaped sockets for the axles, perhaps?

Just a suggestion.

John
John

Offline Greybeema

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 05:02:26 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. 

I think I'll take Mr C's advice and relay the curve - I will need some major civil engineering but think it would be the right way to do it. 

To get around the shorting problem I think I'll install a small length of check rail and test that..

Not sure I have a gear binding problem but I'll take another look.

All of that is for the weekend though when I can set up the layout (on the dining table).  I'll let you know how I get on…

Offline moogle

• N Gauge Society Number: 5694
  • Mad as a hatter and proud!
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 08:20:22 pm »
Nice to see this in action!  :thumbsup:
The staggered platforms at Northfleet would make this an interesting set up, presuming your modelling them.
And of course the rusty open wagon that sat at the end of one of the sidings for over a decade!  :laugh:
Being a Gravesend escapee I'll keep an eye on this layout for sure!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here