Spreadsheet for stock. Help required please!

Started by Cooper, September 08, 2015, 10:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooper

I'm creating a spreadsheet for my stock using Microsoft Excel on Windows 7 Professional. How do I put a picture of the stock item against each entry in the spreadsheet?

Do I have to have an individual picture of each item in a folder and create a hyperlink? Or put the pictures into a PowerPoint and link to a page per photo? I'm a bit Luddite when it comes to computers as I was self taught. I need some help please! :goggleeyes:

Cooper

I knew it must be easier than I thought! Thanks mate!

Cooper

Still struggling, it won't let me move the picture out of the picture or document window it's in when I left click. I can drag and drop it within the window, but not outside of it to the spreadsheet to allow me to drop it into a box. What am I missing?

Greybeema

Click on the image. CTRL and C to copy the image.  Go to your spreadsheet click in a cell - CTRL and V to paste - the resize til you hearts content..
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Cooper

Not for me! It toots at me with that derisory note that says you've done something stupid when trying the control C and V option. Only Me's option doesn't work for me either. I can take the directory picture as far as the open window but it disappears when I get to the spreadsheet leaving me with a cursor arrow and a small box with a cross in it. I'm still doing something wrong or my computer is up the spout?

mickster04

hmm, that is odd, can you click on the cell you want to put the pictures, then go to edit > insert > image from file.

or something like that. then you should be presented with a new little window that will let you find the pictures you want to insert.... what happens when you try that way?

cjdodd

I'm not sure what version of excel you are using, but in 2013, you go to 'Insert' on the ribbon bar and then select picture.

Newportnobby

Quote from: cjdodd on September 09, 2015, 07:18:57 AM
I'm not sure what version of excel you are using, but in 2013, you go to 'Insert' on the ribbon bar and then select picture.

That's what I would have suggested as you can 'Insert' a message, a pic or whatever :hmmm:

Bealman

Mods and offended members please delete or complain about this post....

Always thought a spreadsheet was something that someone approaching senior years like meself embarrassingly throws over the bed  :worried:

Seriously,  let's sort this out and get pics onto that spreadsheet.... I  am no help, unfortunately!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

msr

I have discovered that with large numbers of entries the spreadsheet becomes unstable.

For small spreadsheets the insert picture function as described in earlier posts works fine but beware if you have lots of stock entries.

More reliable is to use the comment facility:
Right-mouse click on a cell
  Insert Comment

Then click on the border of the Comment box and right-mouse click:
Format Comment
  Colors and Lines
     click on dropdown box by Fill Color and select Fill Effects
         Select the picture you want to display
            Enable the Lock Picture Aspect box if you want to resize the photo and prevent it getting distroted
               OK OK

Hopefully you picture will now be displayed.

Cooper

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I won't be able to try any of them before tomorrow evening. I'll be back in touch!

MikeDunn

Without knowing how/what you're doing, I'd suspect the issue to be more on your sheet than using a spreadsheet in general ...  I have seen absolutely massive spreadsheets with multiple tabs etc, and they have been very stable.

Are you putting large-sized images in ?  By that I don't necessarily mean the pixels but the file size (although more pixels = larger file).  For something like this, a small image (say 200x200 pixels) would be best, and keeps the sheet file size down.  Remember, it needs to fit into the computer memory, and if your system doesn't have a lot ...

Cooper

Quote from: msr on September 09, 2015, 02:41:10 PM
I have discovered that with large numbers of entries the spreadsheet becomes unstable.

For small spreadsheets the insert picture function as described in earlier posts works fine but beware if you have lots of stock entries.

More reliable is to use the comment facility:
Right-mouse click on a cell
  Insert Comment

Then click on the border of the Comment box and right-mouse click:
Format Comment
  Colors and Lines
     click on dropdown box by Fill Color and select Fill Effects
         Select the picture you want to display
            Enable the Lock Picture Aspect box if you want to resize the photo and prevent it getting distroted
               OK OK

Hopefully you picture will now be displayed.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Here are my findings:

Clicking on the box and using the insert option only gave me add/remove cell type options.

Insert from the ribbon bar works but gives me a huge picture to edit.

The above option from msr gave me a small picture added to the box by hovering the mouse over the red triangle generated in the corner of the box and works for me! 👍 I will have to resize all the images I use using Irfan I guess as the file will become large, but so far there is only a small amount of text and one photo in the spreadsheet so this cannot be the reason for the trouble I experienced.

Once again thank you for all the help and suggestions, this forum always has an answer!  :NGF:

austinbob

Just to put the cat among the pigeons I gave up trying to use a spreadsheet and went for 'Model Train catalogue which allows you to do everything you want, including the pictures, with no hassle. http://www.modeltraincatalogue.com/ cost £10.99 - problem solved. - Just my opinion - works well for me!!
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations