Metcalf Station in Stone & other useful modelling tips

Started by Tdm, October 20, 2014, 07:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

Someone on here recently asked about giving a Metcalfe Station a stone effect in keeping with their layout, but I can't remember which thread it was in to post a reply.

In searching the Web for something else I came across this site which shows how someone else did so. Hope it might be useful to whoever asked the question.

http://brianfordtrains.blogspot.com.es/2012_01_01_archive.html

NeMo

My first impression was that it looks really good. My second though was that the fine sand would be more like boulders in N scale, so is probably far too rough to be authentic. But then my final thought was, it still looks really good!

Definitely one for the memory banks. Have that building sitting about, and while it looks good, I've sort of gone off Metcalfe buildings a bit as too smooth and shiny-looking for my style of modelling.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

cjdodd

It does look really good, if you are worried about the sand then use chinchilla sand, that's very fine.

rhysapthomas

It does look good
The problem often with N is that if items where the exact scale size they would not be visible or would be impossible to make

Dorsetmike

I think I'd be inclined to use a fine grade sand or glass paper or "wet and dry" to cover the building and paint whatever colour suits the building, probably easier and less messy. Different grades could give some variety. Must have a play!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

silly moo

A very useful link, I've bookmarked the blog for future reference.

:thankyousign:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations