Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jivebunny

Quote from: Dr Al on May 19, 2015, 08:05:22 PM
There is no track/controller - it's only a train pack, not a full set.

Didn't realise that, even better then! Cheers for the info.

gc4946

Beside my Fisherlea collection, I also own a small collection of stock named G--- C--- (my initials) or which could have worked over ex-GCR lines.
For future use, I own a Scenecraft GCR Loughborough signalbox.

However, I jumped at the chance to own a model of an ex-GCR loco at a reasonable price  :thumbsup:

This is a Union Mills D11/1 Director 62663 Prince Albert, bought secondhand from a non-auction site source. Once unpacked, it ran well on my layout.

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

port perran

Lovely model.
If that's your first Union Mills model you won't be disappointed.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

railsquid

More bargain 2nd-hand anthropomorphically decorated stock  :D

mickster04

Thanks to wickness models, I have an influx of new motive power. All ebay specials, I sent them directly to him for DCC conversion and then he shipped them on downunder (NZ, not Oz!) A superb way to start my wednesday!

[smg id=25006 type=preview align=center caption="the new collection"]

from right to left,
47 834 Firefly intercity swallow
47 612 Titan interCity  (the number has been broken by the panorama effect)
47 306 The Sapper Railfreight Distro
33 205 nameless Railfreight Distro
31 285 Railfreight red stripe

Extremely good service complete with his videos :D An absolute boon to those of us a bit out of reach :D

railsquid

Quote from: Dr Al on May 19, 2015, 03:22:19 PM
The whole 'face' of the old 47 is a bit stretched vertically, but you don't notice so much until placed next to the  current more accurate model.
From certain angles it looks distinctly odd to me, even when well away from the current model. Like I said, the yellow ends seem to highlight the cab windows much more, whereas they don't stand out noticeably on the two-tone green version. Anyway it's not like I bought it for its looks ;).

I wonder if the pre-DCC BachFar bodyshell is based off the same moulding? They look very similar, except the BachFar version seems to have slightly improved cab windows.

Quote from: Dr Al on May 19, 2015, 03:22:19 PMLooks too like the roof grilles next to the fan grilles have been given a black wash as well by a previous owner.

That's entirely possible, certainly makes the grills look more realistic without excessive "weathering".

Quote from: Dr Al on May 19, 2015, 03:22:19 PMElectrical smell implies it hasn't been used for a bit and/or needs a decent overhaul.
Certainly the latter, possibly the former. Giving it a run around the layout to see what happens, but both will probably go back into their boxes until I have time to take a closer look.

Dr Al

Quote from: railsquid on May 20, 2015, 03:10:43 AM
I wonder if the pre-DCC BachFar bodyshell is based off the same moulding? They look very similar, except the BachFar version seems to have slightly improved cab windows.

Yes it's the same tooling (minor internal mods, but I think externally the same). I believe from what I've read that Bachmann ran the old Farish tooling at higher pressures and therefore this might be the reason for better definition of the cab windows on their runs.

Quote from: railsquid on May 20, 2015, 03:10:43 AM
Certainly the latter, possibly the former. Giving it a run around the layout to see what happens, but both will probably go back into their boxes until I have time to take a closer look.

Yes, a run will help a lot assuming there's nothing deeper amiss inside, but keep an eye on the current if you can - if it's high and there's smell then this is bad (motor running very hot generally), and running should be minimised until it's sorted out.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

mickster04

I assume the anti-grav is a new dcc function?

talisman56

They've cured the 'runs upside down' problem that the old ones had? Great!!  :smiley-laughing:
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

cjdodd

I think this allows you to create a track on roof of the tunnel scene like Men in Black. Better check my z21 system has an icon for antigravity.

Greybeema

A little known fact that the aerodynamics on the Class 47 generated so much down force at a moderate speed that you could actually run them upside down on the tunnel roof... :doh:
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Tdm

Diana Ross
                        "Upside down your turning me...round and round your turning me......"

PS. Just noticed - this is my 666th post - isn't that a demonic number in some circles, perhaps I'll get my head turned upside down - by the way did you know that your brain is 80% water!

mickster04

Not n scale, but z scale! just got it on a whim, might set up a tiny circle on my work desk :D[smg id=25119 type=preview align=center caption="Z scale loco"]

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

scottmitchell74

Cool, I've toyed with the idea of a Z-Scale layout...
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations