Layout names

Started by PeteW, March 23, 2017, 05:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Portpatrick

My new contemporary layout is Allanbrae.  Located somewhere around Lock Lomond, Bridge of Allan is within a modest distance.  And Brae is a term for a slope or brow of a hill.  (Tannochbrae of Dr Finlay fame?)

However there is a double meaning. 2 operators who have given me considerable assistance with Portpatrick Town are Alan and Ray.

marco neri

:hellosign:
My layout I called it Narnia....from famous fantasy novels by C.S. Lewis "Chronicles of Narnia"... and Narni is my actual living small town

Name   Edit
The name Narnia is based on Narni, Italy, written in Latin as Narnia. Lancelyn Green wrote:

When Walter Hooper asked [C. S. Lewis] where he found the word 'Narnia', Lewis showed him Murray's Small Classical Atlas, ed. G.B. Grundy (1904), which he acquired when he was reading the classics with Mr Kirkpatrick at Great Bookham [1914–1917]. On plate 8 of the Atlas is a map of ancient Italy. Lewis had underscored the name of a little town called Narnia, simply because he liked the sound of it. Narnia — or 'Narni' in Italian — is in Umbria, halfway between Rome and Assisi.[11]

p.s. a little clarification.....Narnia is the "vulgus" name of Narni ("vulgus language , spoken in tne middleage, marks the passage from latin to actual italian language....Narniae is the real latin name of Narni.

Greetings from Narnia :D

Marco
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

cjdodd

I have 'Colworth Hill' a totally made up name with no relationship to anything

And I have 'Billybrook Yard' now this one does have a meaning, its built on Ikea billy bookcase shelves so it's modular, and it's got a little stream on it.

Trainfish

Quote from: cjdodd on March 31, 2017, 11:55:33 PM
I have 'Colworth Hill' a totally made up name with no relationship to anything

And I have 'Billybrook Yard' now this one does have a meaning, its built on Ikea billy bookcase shelves so it's modular, and it's got a little stream on it.

And how long is Billybrook Yard? About 3 feet I'd guess  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

cjdodd

At the moment it's just two shelves but could be expanded if need be

There is a forum thread about it here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=22114

joe cassidy

Quote from: marco neri on March 31, 2017, 10:30:26 PM
:hellosign:
My layout I called it Narnia....from famous fantasy novels by C.S. Lewis "Chronicles of Narnia"... and Narni is my actual living small town

Name   Edit
The name Narnia is based on Narni, Italy, written in Latin as Narnia. Lancelyn Green wrote:

When Walter Hooper asked [C. S. Lewis] where he found the word 'Narnia', Lewis showed him Murray's Small Classical Atlas, ed. G.B. Grundy (1904), which he acquired when he was reading the classics with Mr Kirkpatrick at Great Bookham [1914–1917]. On plate 8 of the Atlas is a map of ancient Italy. Lewis had underscored the name of a little town called Narnia, simply because he liked the sound of it. Narnia — or 'Narni' in Italian — is in Umbria, halfway between Rome and Assisi.[11]

p.s. a little clarification.....Narnia is the "vulgus" name of Narni ("vulgus language , spoken in tne middleage, marks the passage from latin to actual italian language....Narniae is the real latin name of Narni.

Greetings from Narnia :D

Marco

Thanks for the explanation Marco. I'd always wondered whether the name of your layout was connected to the C.S. Lewis book.

Is Narni a good place to visit for tourists ?

Best regards,

Joe

marco neri

Hi Joe,
Yes, is a typical medieval small town in centre of Italy....with many traces about that ages as castles, typical houses and ways, ...foods  :D, churchs, Franciscan hermitage and the annual folklore hisotric reenactment "Ring's trophy" from 24th of April to 14th of May...

Greetings from Narnia

Marco
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

The Q

I believe there are several models based on the W.C.& P. which makes a better name for a layout than a station.

Weston, Clevedon And Portisheadrailway

cjdodd

And what's wrong with calling a layout Clevedon

(Chris from Clevedon)

The Q

What's funny /clever about using the name Clevedon?  :no:

Or Weston Super- Mud  near where i used to live...... :(

The Model railway I've inherited, is called Scarnish which is based on the name of Scarinish where the builder lived. The only Railway as far as I know, on the island is less than 50yards long that goes into the water to recover boats!!

It's not a funny name, but if you type it Scarn-ish it is more appropriate

cjdodd

Sorry I thought you meant don't name a layout after a station. Misunderstood your post.

The Q

Quote from: cjdodd on April 12, 2017, 08:22:21 AM
Sorry I thought you meant don't name a layout after a station. Misunderstood your post.

Oh you can name a layout anything you like, that definately comes under Rule 1.

The Inherited Layout i've got is called Tiree, and has 2 stations on it, I could call the layout after the Island, either of the stations or even Type 80, after the radar that was nearly built there, unlike any railway.

My home layout is Called "Ludgershall change for Tidworth" since that is what it said on the station signs.

cjdodd

The Q

Ok did you know? or was it a premonition?

In this month's railway modeller a model railway based on the WC&P at Clevedon!!!

steve836

Quote from: The Q on April 12, 2017, 08:30:12 AM
[

My home layout is Called "Ludgershall change for Tidworth" since that is what it said on the station signs.

Totally off topic but a memory brought on by your post.
As a child I , along with my mum was on a tube train and, when it stopped at a station, a porter came along calling "All change". A lady in our carriage asked him in a rather posh voice "Is this Aldgate East?" quick as a flash he replied in a cockney accent "nah luv all get aght!"
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations