Sad News

Started by Calnefoxile, October 12, 2012, 10:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calnefoxile

For anyone who is remotely interested in Aircraft and those of us of a certain age who remember these things in action, this is sad news indeed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-19926464

No more of that fabulous noise as they take off........

Lets hope a very rich benefactor turns up or I win the lottery soon and fund it myself  ;) ;)

Regards

Neal.

upnick

Willl  be a great shame to see the Vulcan  Grounded Neal   .....  what about the  148 million  pound lottery winners & the likes of  Bernie Ecclestone  with his vast wealth  funding  the aircraft.

StufromEGDL

Hi Gang;

Sadly, it looks like wing fatigue and engine availability will ultimately spell the demise of this wonderful beast.  I have had the privelege of being up close and personal with 558 on several occasions...( my name is inside it somewhere!!)...but the laws of metallurgy cannot be beaten.....a re-spar is not too dauntingly expensive...but then they said the Scotsman overhaul was  less than a million!!!!

Despite my sadness at the passing of the V-Bomber, I wish it a graceful retirement...and I do not have to despair further at the mismanagement sadly evident in the upper echelons of the VTTS mob.

Per Ardua ad Astra
STU from EGDL
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

sdwillsmvr

It will be a great shame to see nature take is course with this wonderful aircraft. Brilliant aircraft for the era and it will be greatly missed flying, great shame about the wings and engines!  :'(

Tank

Oh no, that's terrible.  Such an iconic British aircraft.  :(  I hadn't realised it had such a short time. :thumbsdown:  I first saw the Vulcan in 1989 at SouthEnd.  The loudest thing I'd ever heard as a seven year old!!!!!

MikeDunn

Fantastic and accurate reporting in that link ...

Quote from: BBC
The bomber retired from service in 1993 and is the only one left of the 134 that were built for the Royal Air Force.
Hmmm, no-one tell the owners of the other 19 that they have fakes ...

Skyline2uk

QuoteFantastic and accurate reporting in that link ...

Quote from: BBC

The bomber retired from service in 1993 and is the only one left of the 134 that were built for the Royal Air Force.

Hmmm, no-one tell the owners of the other 19 that they have fakes ...

Having seen the one at Duxford at a young age (only stood under her, don't know when XJ824 last flew?) I really think the BBC should have added "only one left flying". Quality journalism there from the noble BBC.

Skyline2uk

longbridge

A magnificent Aircraft, when I was a kid I used to visit my Nan and she lived near an RAF base, the Vulcan's used to fly so low over her house that the entire back garden was in shade, also remember the haring a plane break the sound barrier in the mid 1950s but I cant remember what it was ?
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Agrippa

I saw the Vulcan at Leuchars airshow last year, a great flying display
flown almost as if it was a fighter, it was a design from the heyday
of the British aircraft industry, like the Hunter, Canberra , Viscount
and Harrier, though in the same era due to government bumbling and
longwinded development many aircraft like the VC10, Lightning and
Trident were not as good as their contemporaries and did not
achieve much export success.

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Newportnobby

Very sad to hear this superb aircraft won't be airborne again :(
Maybe the Trust will have to change its name now :scowl:

daveg

A truly awesome aircraft. Heartbreaking but it sounds like metal fatigue is gnawing its way through her vittals and with no more engines to canabalise, a tough decision had to be made. :(

Dave G

scottishlocos

Hi all

I have followed the progress of XH558 for many years and have seen her at Leuchars the past few years this is not the end she will fly again funding provided but next year will be the last year she will be able to fly due to the issues outlined in the report.

These i think are similar issues as when XH558 was withdrawn in the early 1990's I am not a member of VTTS however I would hope that after next year they would keep XH558 in ready to fly state so she could fly again if money comes in it may take 10 or 20 years but could happen.

kind regards

Dave

dr deltic

Seen her 3 times this year, total icon and hard to accept next year will be the last.
Monumental screw up killed two engines earlier this year when they tried to start them with something still in place that should not have been there but these guys have given us 6 years we would not have had.

Maybe someone will come up with the required, never say never!

jonclox

Ive seen i pass overhead of us as its aproched and left F/bro airshowthe last few times and will miss its unique looks and sound.
Very sad news indeed
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP