Mrs Biggs on ITV

Started by hairygit, September 05, 2012, 11:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairygit

Anybody else watch this tonight? It's been advertised for weeks as ITV's great new drama mini series. I was shouting at the TV in the first 10 minutes for inaccuracies :uneasy: A scene set in 1957 showed people boarding a train pulled by a class 47 :confused1:, they didn't hit the rails until 1962 :confusedsign:, then it arrived at the terminus alongside a class 52 "Western", but worse still, the 52 was in B.R. Blue!!!!!! :pleasesign: I can't understand why production companies think we're all total idiots, there are plenty of preserved steam locos out there they could have used, at least it would have been more historically accurate >:( And then, one of the characters  referred to the train they were planning to rob being hauled by an "English Electric Type 3000", never heard of a class 40 being called that! Needless to say, I won't bother watching the remaining episodes :veryangry:
Male children never grow up, we just get older and our toys become more expensive!

Rob H

Don't wish to sound rude - but really, get a life !!
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

EtchedPixels

It does amaze me how sloppy some film and TV people are with cars, trains, buildings and a lot more. Crap TV has its uses though, The Professionals is dire TV but it's got a lot of good rail blue shots and some handy material shot around several yards including various grouping era parcels wagons  :bounce:
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

longbridge

I think we have to remember that shows like this and others are made for the general public that have no real idea of the history or time line of the incident covered, I guess we could point things out that are wrong from the 6pm news to documentaries and other things but most people wouldn't notice or care.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

moogle

Quote from: EtchedPixels on September 06, 2012, 11:07:30 AM
It does amaze me how sloppy some film and TV people are with cars, trains, buildings and a lot more. Crap TV has its uses though, The Professionals is dire TV but it's got a lot of good rail blue shots and some handy material shot around several yards including various grouping era parcels wagons  :bounce:

Absolutely.
The Sweeney is good for reference like that too, plus shots of the old docklands before it was all yuppyised!  :laugh:
I have both on DVD box sets, fantastic escapism viewing.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: oldrailbug on September 06, 2012, 11:09:53 AM
I think we have to remember that shows like this and others are made for the general public that have no real idea of the history or time line of the incident covered, I guess we could point things out that are wrong from the 6pm news to documentaries and other things but most people wouldn't notice or care.

That is very true but it does sound like they skipped doing any research on this one.
Or maybe they only used Wikipedia...     :smiley-laughing:

Quote from: hairygit on September 05, 2012, 11:09:08 PM
Anybody else watch this tonight? It's been advertised for weeks as ITV's great new drama mini series. I was shouting at the TV in the first 10 minutes for inaccuracies :uneasy: A scene set in 1957 showed people boarding a train pulled by a class 47 :confused1:, they didn't hit the rails until 1962 :confusedsign:, then it arrived at the terminus alongside a class 52 "Western", but worse still, the 52 was in B.R. Blue!!!!!! :pleasesign: I can't understand why production companies think we're all total idiots, there are plenty of preserved steam locos out there they could have used, at least it would have been more historically accurate >:( And then, one of the characters  referred to the train they were planning to rob being hauled by an "English Electric Type 3000", never heard of a class 40 being called that! Needless to say, I won't bother watching the remaining episodes :veryangry:

Your second sentence gave you the answer.  :o ITV's quality has suffered greatly over the last decade.
If it had been made by the BBC I've no doubt it would all be spot on.  ;)

BTW, I don't have a telly, just my laptop and I only watch tv progs on catch up services like iPlayer.
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Kipper

Considering the efforts made by railway modellers to get the details on their railways right (including the correct number of rivets!), I would have thought we all would get annoyed at obvious mistakes. One of my pet hates is the use of the police caution (You are not obliged etc), which is usually mangled and is never followed by the obligatory "do you understand". If the suspect does not understand the caution, and statement they make may be inadmissible. Having used the caution on a daily basis for many years, that one really bugs me.

EtchedPixels

I'm not sure it matters for fictional stuff so much - Midsomer murders prides itself on the complete inaccuracy of the police processes shown 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Sprintex

The clue was in the first line -

Quote from: hairygit on September 05, 2012, 11:09:08 PM
. . . ITV's great new drama mini series.

It's entertainment, not a factual documentary. Yes I noticed the same inaccuracies, but just enjoyed the moment of watching green 47s on TV  ;)

Paul

Newportnobby

Quote from: EtchedPixels on September 06, 2012, 12:22:13 PM
I'm not sure it matters for fictional stuff so much - Midsomer murders prides itself on the complete inaccuracy of the police processes shown 8)

Ahhh - Midsomer Murders - 2 hours of adverts with snippets of a detective programme inserted at annoying intervals :veryangry:

Sorry - gone off topic here.......... :-[

Jerry Howlett

The downside of Italian life is, come the cold wet winters you find yourself looking forward to Midsomer Murders as it passes the time between the evening dog walk and dinner. Its either that or another  :beers: that just leads to  :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

silly moo

You'd probably find lots of other inaccuracies in many programmes. My husband always notices if the cars and pop music are wrong and he always manages to spot errors in continuity.

My favourite is shooting railway scenes that are supposed to be set in another country, in Britain and not really making much of an attempt to disguise the loco or coaches.

There's a really silly scene in an old film starring Frank Sinatra called Von Ryan's Express where the loco comes to a complete stop within the space a few feet.

:NGaugersRule:

Pengi

There was a classic on the BBC breakfast regarding Damon Albarn's Africa express. The presenters got their facts wrong about the train and someone emailed them to correct it. Then the guy on the video didn't do his homework about the driver.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-19487585
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

trainsdownunder

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on September 06, 2012, 02:21:22 PM
The downside of Italian life is, come the cold wet winters you find yourself looking forward to Midsomer Murders as it passes the time between the evening dog walk and dinner. Its either that or another  :beers: that just leads to  :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Not much better out here

bbdave

I have just watched it and quite enjoyed it

Dave

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations