Useful Tablet / Phone Apps - Android and Apple

Started by Flakmunky, August 16, 2012, 01:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flakmunky

Hi,

I am always interested in finding new, useful apps for my mobile devices and word-of-mouth is a great way of finding new gems...

So why not a thread to highlight useful / cool apps?

Here are some of my most used apps:

Evernote (Free):

A multi-platform cloud based note taking app. iOS, Android, Windows phone, MacOS, Windows and browser specific clients as well as a web based interface. You can take photos on your mobile, annotate them and they are automatically synced with the cloud and therefore all of your other devices. You can also take audio notes...

The paid version is reasonablly priced and adds shared notebooks, more monthly bandwidth and OCR for .pdf documents making them searchable.

Dropbox (Free):

A cloud based storage system with multiple platform clients, on a PC the Dropbox appears as a folder in 'my documents'. Anything saved / copied / moved into this folder is uploaded to the cloud and is available to all of your other devices. Take a phot with your mobile and it is synced automatically to the cloud. Supports shared folders as well. Only have 2 gb storage but this can go up to 8gb via referrals.

These are my favourite apps. I use them every day!

I'd be really interested to hear of your favourite apps...

red_death

I've never really understood the point of Evernote despite it regularly being recommended, but that is likely just me!

Some favourites:

Engine driver (Android) or WithrottleLite (iOS) - DCC controller for controlling a JMRI installation
Box or Google Drive - similar to Dropbox
Nationa Rail Enquiries
Chess.com
Mapmyrun
Starwalk (iOS) or Google's Android equivalent
Hill Lists for my geeky recording of Munros I have climbed...
Kindle app

Cheers, Mike

EtchedPixels

EngineDriver
K-9 for *proper* mail on Android
gstrings for tuning stuff
ebay
google+
google maps
compass (I find it unbelievably useful when you've not got phone coverage or just  need to get directions)
Smart Measure/Smart Distance (for scaling and checking distances for model making)
Llama
Firefox + adblock for advert free browsing on a phone

plus various tech stuff (secure shell, vnc, etc)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Oldman

WEB2PDF for converting web pages to pdf
Severall car specific apps that link in to an OBD code reader
All on android
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Flakmunky

+1 for K-9 mail on Android

Also, I would recommend Swype keyboard. You need to sign up at http://beta.swype.com/ and access the download from your Android browser but it is well worth it!

Toilet Finder for Android is useful when you are out and about in strange towns!

Any more recommendations?

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%