!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Happy thread  (Read 384346 times)

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: Happy thread
« Reply #4515 on: May 19, 2020, 08:35:30 AM »
Look at it this way, George. Road tar and granite chippings make a damn good under seal.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #4516 on: May 19, 2020, 08:42:59 AM »
Thanks, David. It's the quick, cheap and easy way of doing it. One of the blokes in the photographs asked me, "Is everything ok, sir? Can I help you?"

I almost said, "I don't think so, I want to get me 'effin car out" but thought better of it.

On a truly happy note, I presume that is your name on page 83 of NGSJ 2/2020, and that is the model you first showed on this forum?  :thumbsup: :beers:

Congratulations!

Malc: Maybe, but when the chippings fall off, you're looking at rust spots.  >:(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline steve836

• N Gauge Society Number: 22948
    • Awards
« Reply #4517 on: May 19, 2020, 08:43:57 AM »
I know the feeling George. That method is how the majority of roads round here are done - tar, chippings, tar, chippings. Nobody comes back to sweep up the loose chippings, so every time another car drives past you, you get 'peppered' with the loose chippings  >:(. Plus, as you say, the chippings get stuck to the car and, what is worse I think, the tyre treads get full of the chippings!

Look on the bright side at least you get studded tyres for winter :laugh:
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #4518 on: May 19, 2020, 08:52:44 AM »
@Bealman  Yes, that is me George, (my very first published article  :):thankyousign:

@steve836 That is very true, but I have had quite a few punctures because the chips have such sharp edges. Two of the punctures still had a chip embedded in the rubber!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #4519 on: May 19, 2020, 11:08:42 AM »
Hope your bus stop survived George ?

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #4520 on: May 19, 2020, 11:21:46 AM »
Ha ha, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Actually, with the covid 19 situation, I haven't been there for months!!  ;)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4521 on: May 21, 2020, 04:03:03 PM »
A glorious afternoon so I stuck 2 fingers up to the rest of the world and went for a 30 mile ride on my motorsickle (we are legally allowed to providing we maintain social distancing). I'm not insured for pillions and the last thing I want is someone hollering in my ear/prodding me in the back! Just a circular ride without stopping anywhere other than road furniture. Apart from having to wear heavy protective clothing it was such a treat :) :)

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+36)
    • Awards
« Reply #4522 on: May 21, 2020, 04:53:01 PM »
 Apart from having to wear heavy protective clothing

better not say to much about that ...

or the village people will be round  :smiley-laughing:
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline TrevL

• N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
« Reply #4523 on: May 21, 2020, 05:14:04 PM »
A glorious afternoon so I stuck 2 fingers up to the rest of the world and went for a 30 mile ride on my motorsickle (we are legally allowed to providing we maintain social distancing). I'm not insured for pillions and the last thing I want is someone hollering in my ear/prodding me in the back! Just a circular ride without stopping anywhere other than road furniture. Apart from having to wear heavy protective clothing it was such a treat :) :)

You lucky b***** :thumbsup: :thumbsup:, sadly I had to give up when the arthritis in my neck stopped me doing lifesavers over my right shoulder, especially when looking through the letterbox of a full face helmet :thumbsdown: :'(.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+36)
    • Awards
« Reply #4524 on: May 21, 2020, 05:20:07 PM »
thought that was what mirrors were for  :smiley-laughing:
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4525 on: May 21, 2020, 08:02:35 PM »
thought that was what mirrors were for  :smiley-laughing:

Sadly they don't catch every idiot who does something completely 'out of the box' and they're the ones likely to put you in the hospital (or worse).

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4526 on: May 21, 2020, 08:09:04 PM »
I'm pleased you could ride out and have some air without the thought of blue lights or any other idiot. Glad you enjoyed the ride

Offline 37214

• Awards
« Reply #4527 on: May 23, 2020, 10:31:43 PM »
Feeling happy today; as previously reported, I have a few Poole era Farish locos that have been in storage for over 20 years. I tried to get a few to run recently but no joy, not unexpected after so long in storage. After reading about servicing locos on this forum and watching some videos on line, I decided to give it a go.

The “sacrificial lamb” chosen to undergo my first attempt at stripping and cleaning was a blue Class 08 shunter, a freebie from a friend who was getting rid of n-gauge to move into O-gauge.

I followed the advice gleaned from these pages and took photos at each stage as I took it apart and cleaned all the wheels, contacts and gears. A little light oil and grease using Labelle products and I’m delighted to say that it ran successfully.

Now re-assembled and back in the box and I’m feeling “chuffed” to say the least. Next up, the class 33 that was bought secondhand to donate the chassis to a CJM 26 kit.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed their advice which enabled my success.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:33:27 PM by 37214 »

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #4528 on: May 23, 2020, 11:04:31 PM »
Well done! Great result with the shunter!

Now I'd be very interested to hear of your Class 33 exploits, as I also have a dead one.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:06:03 PM by Bealman »

Offline 37214

• Awards
« Reply #4529 on: Yesterday at 06:11:32 PM »
Well done! Great result with the shunter!

Now I'd be very interested to hear of your Class 33 exploits, as I also have a dead one.  :thumbsup:

@Bealman Thanks. I took the 33 apart this afternoon, I had a suspicion that it might be split gears causing my problems after reading descriptions on this forum and because it jumped forward a couple of millimetres on the track when power was applied and then stopped. Sure enough, 3 split gears on one bogie truck (is that the correct word) and at least 1 on the other.

The gears are tiny though; had to view them with a magnifying glass to be able to see that they were split. Getting the contacts back onto the bogies is going to be a fiddle as is getting the spring and brush back into place, the parts are just so small.

The good news is that the armature cleaned up ok and the motor gears look clean and free from lint and hair.

I feel that I have made good progress, will have to buy some replacement gears and try and get everything back into place but I’m learning loads of things about loco assembly; really pleased that I don’t work in a factory making these things! I’d be no good if my pay depended on how many I assembled in a day.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal