A Prototypical Space Saving Idea called a Sliding Platform Bridge

Started by Bob G, July 01, 2023, 09:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

While perusing Flickr I came across this very wierd access arrangement onto a platform from a station building.

Can't imagine that it is still there!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johndedman/7256224176/in/photostream/

stevewalker

The link is one photo out for me. Going back one finds it.

I assume that it is simply to move equipment in and out of the building, giving a flat and level route for it to be rolled on a trolley. A simple and effective solution.

Bob G

Dorsetmike

Brockenhurst, between the parcels office and the platform, linked to the signal box to ensure it is not operated when the line is in use.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

martyn

I'm pretty sure one of the East Suffolk line stations had a platform which could be swung across the lines for road access.

Martyn

Tank

From what I read online some months back, the bridge is locked to the platform, and the rail removed by NR after maintenance. 

Hector Lawn

I also came across a similar bridge on the internet recently, not something I've seen before. I wonder how common these were?

You'd want to be sure no expresses were due though when using it though!!
Anyone know where this was?

Hector

Safety Engineer

Central London Rly had a sort of pivoted platform end at Wood Lane Stn before the Central Line was extended to West Ruislip.

Bob Tidbury

Yes Martyn you are quite right it was Halesworth station the swing out sections were still there when we went last  though they are not used any more the road has been diverted now .
Bob Tidbury .

Roy L S

Quote from: martyn on July 01, 2023, 12:43:09 PM
I'm pretty sure one of the East Suffolk line stations had a platform which could be swung across the lines for road access.

Martyn

Halesworth had a movable platform section, I believe it is still there albeit immobilised, it may even be listed, I think Lewes station has or had similar bridges over a disused platform bereft of track albeit not movable.

Roy L S

Quote from: Hector Lawn on July 01, 2023, 12:45:42 PM
I also came across a similar bridge on the internet recently, not something I've seen before. I wonder how common these were?

Hector

I think that may be Beccles, also in Suffolk.

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

martyn

Quote from: Roy L S on July 01, 2023, 02:48:01 PM
Quote from: Hector Lawn on July 01, 2023, 12:45:42 PM

Hector

I think that may be Beccles, also in Suffolk.

Correct, Roy. Also on the East Suffolk line; this line is the one curving to the right, on the left was the platform and line to Beccles (Waveney Valley line).

Martyn

Richard Taylor

Malton, on the York-Scarborough line, also had a slide-out bridge to connect the down platform (station entrance & booking office) with the otherwise isolated up platform. The bridge was, IIRC, interlocked with the signalbox.  The up platform has now been demolished and stopping trains in both directions use the old down platform.  (The up line is still in place for non-stop trains.)

Richard

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%