Sporting loyalties

Started by MinZaPint, December 08, 2022, 01:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinZaPint

Not sure why it came up in the angry thread but there was a short discussion about when you moved your support from your native country to your adopted one. My favourite on this topic was a T-shirt I saw in NZ which read I support 2 teams, New Zealand and whoever's playing Australia, I've regretted not buying one ever since!  :laugh:

Cogito Sumere potum alterum

LASteve

There's a similar sentiment regarding Man United in the Premier League - The phalanx of "ABU" fans - Anyone But United.

Personally, I find it impossible to root for the England football team as it means putting club allegience aside. I can wish Mason Mount and Raheem Sterling well on international duty (and hope they don't get injured), but there's no way I have the same sentiment for Pickford, Dier, Maguire, Kane et al. I want them all to have a shocker.

I don't root for my adopted country's national team either, so it means that I can pick my favorite at international tourneys based on nothing but the way they play.

joe cassidy

So you're supporting Morocco Steve ?

jpendle

Quote from: LASteve on December 08, 2022, 08:26:52 PM
Personally, I find it impossible to root for the England football team as it means putting club allegience aside. I can wish Mason Mount and Raheem Sterling well on international duty (and hope they don't get injured), but there's no way I have the same sentiment for Pickford, Dier, Maguire, Kane et al. I want them all to have a shocker.

See, if you supported your local club, Winchester City FC I believe, pride of the Southern Football League Division One South and West  :D
then you wouldn't have a problem.

I'm quite happy to support England cos none of the players will have any impact on how well Bolton do this year.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

The Q

Not watched professional sport on TV since Botham gave it some Humpty.
Well just the odd bit of sailing grudgingly shown on TV about the Olympics.

The only league match I was dragged to was Andover Town back in about 1969.

Team loyalty.. I have none, England , Scotland , Northern Ireland , Wales, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, America, I have relatives in All..
I'm especially not interested in 22 over paid men kicking a ball around on plastic.

LASteve

Quote from: jpendle on December 08, 2022, 10:49:49 PM
See, if you supported your local club, Winchester City FC I believe, pride of the Southern Football League Division One South and West  :D
then you wouldn't have a problem.
I did used to go watch them at Airlie Road in the 70's. They lost the lease on the ground in the early 80's and have been up and down the divisions since. The ground was very posh - it was flat, there was a white-painted rail to lean on all the way around the pitch and the goals had real nets. Luxury!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%