Hornby TT gauge is announced

Started by Bob G, October 10, 2022, 12:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: Gwalton on October 25, 2022, 10:43:14 AM
Someone on here said the couplings look too big on a catalogue photo, on the video they look ok.

They can be changed. The NEM coupling pockets are the same size as on N gauge.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

mark100

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on October 25, 2022, 06:13:22 PM
Quote from: Gwalton on October 25, 2022, 10:43:14 AM
Someone on here said the couplings look too big on a catalogue photo, on the video they look ok.

They can be changed. The NEM coupling pockets are the same size as on N gauge.
Thank you, that is handy to know.  :)
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

mark100

Quote from: ntpntpntp on October 25, 2022, 10:52:49 AM
Quote from: mrobs2002 on October 25, 2022, 10:17:12 AM
When the track becomes available I'll order a small quantity to build a tiny plank (or maybe a box file? Hmmm . . .). Waiting for more wagons to be made available, and 1st-gen DMU would be nice (but that's not been mentioned at all so far).

The Peco TT:120 code 55 flexitrack and medium points are already available.  I bought some in advance so I could try my old TT3 stuff on it just for fun whilst waiting for the Hornby set to arrive in due course :)  I've had to widen the wheel back-to-backs by about 0.5mm and then yes it will run through the frogs. I'm seeing a very slight spark where the wide metal loco wheels are bridging the frog V just beyond the Unifrog, but nothing major that can't be dealt with with a bit of varnish or convert the Unifrog to be more like Electrofrog.  I'm expecting the Hornby points to be the usual "train set" power routing insulated frog type.

I have some TT track by Peco, it doesn't look to bad, I have been looking at another range by Tillig because they do various points including 3 way, its code 83 or 85 (I can't remember) but looks a bit of a job to get the 2 makes to join together unless you do some cutting and soldering.
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

mojo

Has anyone who signed up for the Club received a free catalogue yet?

Maurice C

njee20

They said it was a couple of weeks off as they were still finalising it when I spoke to them.

nobby

I have been through all the forums on this over the last few weeks and sat through watching the SK interviews. the less said about those the better, promoting a new product while slating your existing products is never a good thing and the same old tired thoughts about N gauge just start grating after a while.  i am still none the wiser who the brand-new market for this scale is or for. that said i will properly sign up to the club next january before the deadline just in case these new models are so much more highly detailed and such superb runners for a cheaper price compared to N that i have to sell everything and move up 20% in size, so i don t need glasses to put things on the track.

Skyline2uk

I have not seen the announcement directly from them, but the statement is from the same retailer who commented on Heljan pulling out, so no reason not to believe it.

James Trains have said they are "sad to learn that Gaugemaster will not be producing U.K. TT locos".

So that's another one out.

The Hornby / Peco show?

And on the latter, can anybody confirm their range of track is separate from Hornby's?

Skyline2uk

woodbury22uk

Quote from: woodbury22uk on October 22, 2022, 03:27:04 PM
Gaugemaster have now decided not to develop a British range in TT:120.

"Following Hornby's news that they have developed an expansive range of TT:120 products which they intend to supply exclusively via their own website, it makes little or no commercial sense for us to develop a complimentary range of products in this scale.

Gaugemaster are committed to supporting our crucial network of UK model and hobby retailers, who continue to be the backbone of our industry and an essential resource to the modelling community.  It is difficult for us to see why UK dealers would want to stock a range of British TT products when nearly all the reward in this scale would be beyond their reach.  We will continue to offer the large range of European TT products from brands such as Herpa, Noch, Piko, Preiser, Roco and Viessmann which have always been available for dealers to order, or to buy direct from ourselves.

Instead, we will continue to work independently and with partner brands across the more established scales such as OO, N and O to develop widely available new products.  We will share details of these with you over the coming weeks.

Everyone here wishes our friends at Hornby all the very best of luck with their new venture and as modellers, we look forward to seeing their huge number of newly-announced TT:120 models emerge over the coming years."
@Skyline2uk
The Gaugemaster statement is in this post from last week.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

davidinyork

Sounds like Hornby trying to grab as much of the pie as possible at the outset has put off other suppliers!

Skyline2uk

@woodbury22uk

Thanks and sorry I missed that

Skyline2uk

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Skyline2uk on October 26, 2022, 10:34:46 AM
... can anybody confirm [Peco]s] range of track is separate from Hornby's?

Peco's TT:120 track is code 55 and Unifrog points (I have some already to play with :) )   When my Hornby TT:120 set arrives I'll find out what the Hornby track is like but I'm assuming it'll be code 80 (ish)  like the Tillig stuff.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Skyline2uk

Quote from: ntpntpntp on October 26, 2022, 12:47:45 PM
Quote from: Skyline2uk on October 26, 2022, 10:34:46 AM
... can anybody confirm [Peco]s] range of track is separate from Hornby's?

Peco's TT:120 track is code 55 and Unifrog points (I have some already to play with :) )   When my Hornby TT:120 set arrives I'll find out what the Hornby track is like but I'm assuming it'll be code 80 (ish)  like the Tillig stuff.

Thank you

I have had it confirmed elsewhere that Hornby are making their own track. My original reason for asking this question has now also been addressed;  namely it is unlikely Peco will follow others and pull out of TT because they can still cater to the rest of the world with their track and are therefore not as impacted by Hornby market dominance (if it comes to pass) in the U.K. market.

Should have thought of that myself in fairness!

Skyline2uk

woodbury22uk

Size comparison on Bedford OB coaches.

Top is Oxford 1/148 over Oxford 1/120 over Corgi 1/76.

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

woodbury22uk

Four of the 6 Oxford TT:120 vehicles - Dennis pump escape, Bedford OB, Austin LL Taxi, Morris Minor van.

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

gc4946

If I took the plunge into TT I'll buy Tillig's pre-ballasted track. I've experience of similar Fleischmann's and Kato's products in various scales.
Having said that Hornby will give 1:120 TT a huge shot in the arm if they succeed.
If Hornby brought out Terriers and other rolling stock to make a representation of the Hayling Island branch I'd be interested!
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations