Hornby TT gauge is announced

Started by Bob G, October 10, 2022, 12:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntpntpntp

How secret was it though?  I can't believe Peco, Heljan, Gaugemaster would have embarked on anything without an inkling of something coming from a large manufacturer such as Hornby.  Even if not the details of models.  You'd think Hornby would let something out to try and gain traction having other brands join in.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bob G

I'd like to see Simon Kohler play "Truth or dare"  :uneasy:

elmo

I have just read on-line (Rails of Sheffield) that Heljan have pulled out of tt120 due to duplication and the hit on the high street model shop.

Bob G

Quote from: elmo on October 13, 2022, 05:05:44 PM
I have just read on-line (Rails of Sheffield) that Heljan have pulled out of tt120 due to duplication and the hit on the high street model shop.
See reply #83 above

njee20

I've just read that Heljan are pulli... kidding. ;D

That's an interesting development. Their release certainly reads as a bit of a dig, a comment about supporting the dealer network who don't get a look in with Hornby.

I'm certainly interested to see where this goes, but I'm not sure that's a positive announcement for anyone involved.

Nigel Cliffe

And there's me thinking I'd finally got a use for a Lima 4F - just needs regauging slightly.....

Bob G

When I started this thread, I thought the bulk of the discussion would be on direct sales vs sales via dealers, particularly as Hornby has been known to grade their dealers, and also to limit dealer stock in OO to get more through their own website.

We seem to have had no problem with Revolution initially selling pre-orders and shop stock items direct from their web page (now they use pre-orders to scope the production size but also sell through retailers), and I wanted to see what folk thought of Hornby scoping pre-orders through their own website with what is in effect a new scale for UK modellers.

I had no idea this would run to seven pages, and I expect it will now run and run. And it is not even N gauge!

njee20

Steady on Bob, it's only 4 pages so far!

Bob G

Quote from: njee20 on October 13, 2022, 06:09:27 PM
Why is it seven on my screen then?

OK how about 100 posts instead?

Bob

zwilnik

Quote from: Bob G on October 13, 2022, 06:05:51 PM
When I started this thread, I thought the bulk of the discussion would be on direct sales vs sales via dealers, particularly as Hornby has been known to grade their dealers, and also to limit dealer stock in OO to get more through their own website.

We seem to have had no problem with Revolution initially selling pre-orders and shop stock items direct from their web page (now they use pre-orders to scope the production size but also sell through retailers), and I wanted to see what folk thought of Hornby scoping pre-orders through their own website with what is in effect a new scale for UK modellers.

I had no idea this would run to seven pages, and I expect it will now run and run. And it is not even N gauge!

I think the general negativity towards Hornby's online selling comes from a few things. Firstly, they built their business on the back of the retailers stocking and selling their products, who have progressively been given worse and worse deals and options to keep selling Hornby products.
Secondly, they appear to have been withholding a lot of stock just for their online store. So it'll be out of stock quickly in retailers (when it's not online exclusive), leaving only the full RRP version, which has seen rapid price increases, on the Hornby store.
So now they're doing an entire line as online store only. It's not really a surprise, but it's depending entirely on collectors and people who buy stuff sight unseen to built the TT brand if it's not going to be visible in shops anywhere. It's also quite different from Revolution, who started their business exclusively online. So they weren't generating bad will with any retailers that had been relying on them for stock.

I can see this being a move by Hornby to marginalise N gauge in the UK. If they can get TT popular enough, they can make it the 'compact' train set format for the UK and leave N gauge to the pure hobbyists and enthusiasts. Others have mentioned on the Zoom chats that N gauge might be heading towards another era of large amounts of the new models being created by small cottage industry hobbyists (especially now new tools are available to make more detailed kits) while the big companies pick and choose the juicy bits they can make a serious profit on.

My guy feeling is Hornby will muck it up with TT though.

jpendle

Quote from: Bob G on October 13, 2022, 06:10:53 PM

Bob

It's 7 pages on my screen as well.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

joe cassidy

Hornby's decision to sell their TT range directly on-line is a canny move.

It means that you can't pop down to your local model shop to satisfy your curiosity before buying or not.

In addition, there is a pent-up demand for new models that has not been satisfied by Farish/Dapol and Rapido/Revolution/Sonic.

Apart from wagon kits I have not bought any new model since the latest release of the Dapol 9F.

I suppose that I should be ashamed to admit that I have a credit card burning a hole in my pocket.

So, bravo Hornby, I will buy one of your TT train sets.

I hope I will not be disappointed.

Skyline2uk

I am cynical old so and so who worries (a lot).

So when the Hornby TT range arrived it concerned me regarding its (potential) negative impact on N. I love n gauge and have never modelled anything but, there is no question of me changing scales now.

However, tonight I learnt in rapid succession that:

A) Heljan saw their three launch locos stomped on by Hornby (and no, I do not feel that is an overstatement, see below)

B) Hornby won't even both giving ANY retailers this new range (regardless of "Tier" status).

And so I am left wondering if this all may come to zero as Hornby blunder on with their questionable attitude towards competition.

I do not believe the overlap with Heljan is a coincidence. There have been far too many "coincidences" over the years like this (just ask Rails, Hattons, Accurasacle, Rapido etc etc). And as for their treatment of retailers, what has started as a few models seeing allocations cut at the last minute (leading to cancelled pre-orders for customers who then have little option but to go to Hornby at full RRP) is now a regular occurrence.

And now it's an entire range. Yes the prices are reasonable for now, but given 20% year on year increases are also not uncommon, how long will that last? And that's at full RRP with no option to go elsewhere.

Sorry above will seem like a rant. I do however stand by the points.

Skyline2uk

njee20

Quote from: jpendle on October 13, 2022, 07:34:01 PM
Quote from: Bob G on October 13, 2022, 06:10:53 PM

Bob

It's 7 pages on my screen as well.

John P

This needs further exploration! Is this the mobile site, perhaps? I get 20 replies to a page, so reply #100 is the first on page 5. Is it different on mobile?

PLD

Quote from: njee20 on October 13, 2022, 11:36:37 PMThis needs further exploration! Is this the mobile site, perhaps? I get 20 replies to a page, so reply #100 is the first on page 5. Is it different on mobile?
In your user profile under "Look and Layout" you can set how many posts are shown per page. I'd guess you've changed it at some point whether deliberately or accidental. (I think the minimum is 10, maximum 50, and default is 15).
Fewer is probably better on smaller phone screens and for loading photo-heavy threads on slower connections; I've set mine to 25.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%