Hornby TT gauge is announced

Started by Bob G, October 10, 2022, 12:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Never knew that, cheers!

I do have to agree with Adam that it's too much of a coincidence for Hornby to wholly replicate Heljan's offering. I could understand duplicating a 37, 47 or 66, but a 31 is definitely not one of the obvious locos to start with IMO, and as observed it's in Hornby's final wave of models. Definitely a landgrab.

Hornby's approach to distribution is a little controversial too, lots of spontaneous (and often significant) price rises, although I think most of the impact is felt by dealers, with terms suddenly changing and orders not being fulfilled. As I said, I certainly don't think anyone benefits from Heljan pulling out; and I actually include Hornby in that.

Chris Morris

It looks like there will be another series of "Hornby: A Model World" next year. I'm sure SK will use that to grab as much free publicity as possible for TT:120. I'm also sure that is part of the business plan.

Hornby do seem to be rather aggressive these days in terms of their treatment of retailers and their attitude towards fellow manufacturers. I don't see it as a good look. Sorry to say this but, because  of their "bully boy" tactics I hope TT:120 isn't a success.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Bealman

I've kept out of this, but as a 70 year old who clearly remembers Triang TT and it's demise, I just can't see it catching on.

If it does, I'll be pushing up daisies anyway  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Rabbitaway

Hi All

Hornby had a TT:120 display layout at Kings Cross today

An A3 and A4 plus rolling stock on the layout, when you see these models in the flesh they are not much bigger than N gauge, I was surprised how close they are in size to N gauge. The models are very nicely done and look great,

I had a quick chat with Simon who was there and he is very enthusiastic about TT

By the way the full size Flying Scotsman was in the station

Bigmac

well--hornby TT has certainly had a lot of publicity on this site.

Oh--dammit--ive just added to it--dohh
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Bob G

Some who want to buy yet another A3 or A4....some who want to mix UK trains with continental, and some who think if it is that close to N then what's wrong with the senior scale?

You will never sell TT120 solely as a web based scale in the UK. People do like to see before they buy, and handle it before they hand over the money.

It will end up bought by well-meaning grannies for little lads who then find out it doesn't work with their OO.

Just my thoughts.

Bob

Rabbitaway

I am probably the only person to have seen these in the flesh unless anybody here has been to Kings Cross today, as I said I am impressed with them, the A4 I saw close up is notably better than the Dapol N gauge A4 particularly when it comes to the value gear.

For people new to the hobby and not wanting to go with 00 due to its size, TT:120 could be an option over N gauge, therefore could impact on the N gauge market

Rabbitaway

Totally random that I saw these, as I was catching a LNER train to Scotland, still on this train crossing the broader now to Scotland

joe cassidy

I just joined the TT club.

Hopefully if a lot of people join it will encourage Hornby to continue with this project.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: thebrighton on October 14, 2022, 06:07:58 PM
And Heljan has already withdrawn...

I refer the honourable gentleman to previous posts 83 and 92  :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

joe cassidy

joe cassidy

I'd be interested to know what our Aussie/Kiwi members think about Hornby TT ?

Bob G

@joe cassidy
I'm starting to think you are actually a TT120 modeller rather than an N scale modeller.

zwilnik

Quote from: Bob G on October 14, 2022, 06:28:11 PM

It will end up bought by well-meaning grannies for little lads who then find out it doesn't work with their OO.

Just my thoughts.

Bob

Albeit only that small subset of well meaning grannies who can use the internet and buy stuff from the Hornby website of course..

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%