New "Thomas"characters

Started by PGN, September 01, 2022, 05:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PGN

So I promised the exhibition manager at my club (Olney MRC) an N gauge "Thomas" layout for the exhibition on Saturday.

I have the complete set of Tomix models (Thomas, Henry, James and Percy) and I have made a "Stepney the Bluebell Engine" from a Dapol "Stepney" and one of the spare faces for Percy. I also have an 08 diesel shunter with clay face which I picked up on ebay somewhere along the line.

But Henry cannot be used because his tender is too high and he gets stuck under the bridges on the layout I'm taking, so I figured I ought to make a couple of extra characters. I have therefore made an Edward from a Farish Caledonian 4P (I decided to leave the white lining rather than trying to turn it red) and a Duck from a Bachmann Farish pannier tank.

I have a Toby on my workbench, but I am not going to be able to finish the painting and transfer work in time for Saturday, so I decided to take it steadily and not rush him.

The photos of Edward and Duck are a little bit blurry because the light wasn't great and my camera won't give you flash when it is macro-focusing, so I had to hand-hold them for a quarter second exposure time. Nevertheless, I think they convey a good general impression of my two latest "Thomas" characters ...

Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

ntpntpntp

Yeah Henry is a bit tall in the tender, but he seems to clear all my catenary and bridges/tunnels on my German layout so kids do get to see him sometimes at shows if I'm feeling like a bit of fun :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

PGN

Indeed ... he clears everything on Neraland 2 because when building it I made sure that everything had clearance for all of the Tomix Thomas characters so that I could run it as "Thomas" rather than generic pre-grouping should occasion require.

But the layout I'm taking on Saturday is a little single-board effort which I purchased ready-built, and I have to live within its design parameters!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Steven B

It might be worth tracking down some OO9 modellers who have converted the Bachmann narrow gauge locos to something more prototypical. As there are kits available to replace the faces with standard smoke-box doors, there should be a number of Skarloey, Rheneas and Peter Sam faces out there that could be re-used.

Steven B.

PGN

joe cassidy

How about inventing a new "New Thomas" character ?

I would suggest a name, "Boris".

Now what kind of loco could bear a name like that ?

I would suggest a Caledonian decapod, in blue livery.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations