My Brake Vans with Guards Equipped (they’re so cute!)

Started by mca0004, April 05, 2022, 08:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mca0004

Quote from: emjaybee on April 06, 2022, 07:39:53 AM
Oh, should have said, it's not a kit. I cut up three Graham Farish brake vans and made it myself.

Oh, I see. I think that'd be a bit to advanced for me. I've never even built a peco wagon kit!

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

emjaybee

Quote from: mca0004 on April 06, 2022, 09:01:54 AM
Quote from: emjaybee on April 06, 2022, 07:39:53 AM
Oh, should have said, it's not a kit. I cut up three Graham Farish brake vans and made it myself.

Oh, I see. I think that'd be a bit to advanced for me. I've never even built a peco wagon kit!

It wasn't particularly difficult. Just cutting and filing and filling. The only bit that was repainted was the roof. You can work out the measurements by counting the planks on the side!

Like George, @Bealman said, I did a thread on it here...

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=45360.0

The only particular bits I had to buy were bogies, they were from the N Gauge Society, but you could probably source something from a secondhand coach or wagon that would suffice. Other bits were just bits of plasticard and tubing.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

emjaybee

Quote from: Bealman on April 06, 2022, 09:04:44 AM
@emjaybee

Did you post a thread about that, or did I dream it?  :worried:

No, didn't dream it, athough I wasn't sure myself. Took some finding mind. The more comprehensive version was in the NGS Journal.
Brookline build thread:

mca0004

I did this a few days ago, but forgot to post about it: My Hymek now has a driver.

It's actually a figure of a passenger meant for coaches, but all my loco crew figures all have legs, so they wouldn't fit into the high floored cab. I think it's close enough though.

emjaybee

If you have a look on Ebay, you can get a bag of 100 assorted figures for a few quid/$Aus/bucks. They're not that well painted, they're very generic, but they're perfect for fitting inside carriages, diners, shops, etc.. Plus, you can always paint them up a bit if you need to.

They're despatched from China/Far East, so you have to wait a bit, but they're perfect for 'not so visible' people.
Brookline build thread:

Newportnobby

Quote from: mca0004 on April 09, 2022, 08:59:04 AM
I did this a few days ago, but forgot to post about it: My Hymek now has a driver.

It's actually a figure of a passenger meant for coaches, but all my loco crew figures all have legs, so they wouldn't fit into the high floored cab. I think it's close enough though.

I hope he's not driving whilst legless!! (hic)

The body of the Hymek doesn't seem to be sitting squarely on the chassis from that frontal view :hmmm:

mca0004

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 09, 2022, 09:48:03 AM
The body of the Hymek doesn't seem to be sitting squarely on the chassis from that frontal view :hmmm:

Yeah, factory defect unfortunately, it has and had quite a few of those...

GScaleBruce

I'm afraid my guards tend to enjoy the view rather than supervise the train. Maybe it's a shunt move...

Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

mca0004

My latest crew instalment, I'm very happy with how this turned out.

Steven B

Is that Blu-Tack you've used to hold the driver and fireman in place?

You might want to track down some Black-Tack. It's the industrial equivalent of Blu-Tack but is stickier and it's black so will less visible in the gloom of the loco cab.

Steven B.

mca0004

Forgot about this thread, so here's a crew equipping I did just minutes ago.

This was one of the harder ones to do, since the N Class isn't big to begin with, and the tender was constantly in the way, but I did it!

martyn

Well done, but a tip too late-the N class tender comes off very easily to give better access to the cab....

You might consider taking the tender top off if you do more locos, it does make life easier.

Try also adding a dab of matt black paint to the Blu-Tac to help disguise it.

Martyn

Steven B

See if you can find some black-tac/tack. It's an industrial version of blue-tack and is much stickier. You'll need less of it, and being black it'll be harder to see.

Steven.

mca0004

With the suggestion too paint the blu-tac black: I don't actually mind it being slightly visible, since in most cases the feet are out of view enough that it doesn't matter.

And with the suggestion to use "black-tac": I actually want it to be easily removable in case I need to. Besides; the locos and brake vans get moved around a lot and I've never once had a crew fall out, so the blu-tac is working just fine in my books.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%