Electronic rail cleaning.

Started by chrispearce, January 10, 2021, 12:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrispearce

I am pondering purchasing an electronic rail cleaner. The high frequency offerings from Gaugemaster are described on their website as suitable for gauges O/OO/HO & 009. Does this eman they aren't suitable for N Gauge? Surely, if they work with 009 what's the difference?

Does anyone use one of these for their N Gauge layout or can anyone recommend an alternative?

Many thanks.

Chris.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Malc

009 is 00 gauge on n gauge track. The smaller motors in n gauge locos are not as robust as the larger scales and generally suffer with the electronic track cleaners.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

chrispearce

Quote from: Malc on January 10, 2021, 12:23:10 PM
009 is 00 gauge on n gauge track. The smaller motors in n gauge locos are not as robust as the larger scales and generally suffer with the electronic track cleaners.

Thanks for that Malc. So do you suggest that electronic systems are not appropriate for N Gauge? Should I look to a rail cleaning vehicle?
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

chrism

Quote from: chrispearce on January 10, 2021, 12:30:58 PM
Quote from: Malc on January 10, 2021, 12:23:10 PM

Thanks for that Malc. So do you suggest that electronic systems are not appropriate for N Gauge? Should I look to a rail cleaning vehicle?

If you want to clean your track without doing it manually, a cleaning vehicle is a much better way to go.

Quite apart from generally not being good for n-gauge motors, AFAIK the electronic rail cleaners don't clean the rails per se., they just look for a loco stalling and apply a burst of higher voltage to burn off any muck - at that location on the track only.

I've found that I can keep my track pretty clean with the Gaugemaster/Noch axle-slung cleaning pads, fitting them to suitable wagons and including those in normal goods trains.

Newportnobby

Sorry but I wouldn't touch electronic cleaners with someone else's bargepole :no:
You can't beat manual cleaning.
(And I have some very clean manuals)

Bigmac

going back 40 years ago--i ran a relco with a digitol gemini ( anyone remember them ) on my n gauge german outline layout. peco live frog points.

it caused arcing on the point blade contacts
it blew a chunk out of a loco driving wheel rim ( f'mann class 50 )
it caused the digitol controller to let locos coast for miles round the layout
it then cooked the controller.

if a modern version specifically for n scale were developed --for DC only--it could be useful.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

chrispearce

OK. Thanks for all the above responses. I knew I'd get some sound advice here. I think it's fair to say you kindly fellows have saved me £50.00 and a lot of misery  :thumbsup:

I will seek a cleaning vehicle option.

Railwaygun

They are not suitable ( and fatal) to DCC fitted locios

Have a look at the track cleaning threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=65.0

I use the Noch axle cleaners and recommend them as well - one per train ( use marker to blacken the sides)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35525.0

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Train Waiting

Quote from: chrispearce on January 10, 2021, 01:09:31 PM
OK. Thanks for all the above responses. I knew I'd get some sound advice here. I think it's fair to say you kindly fellows have saved me £50.00 and a lot of misery  :thumbsup:

I will seek a cleaning vehicle option.

I agree with all the above.  I wouldn't even use one with my old Wrenn locomotives.

For your excellent new layout, a cheap and easy cleaning technique is to use corks.  I am conducting very extensive research into the best kind and this will, I hope, last for many years to come.  I know you won't be in a position to do this so I can send you a couple.  All you need then is some non-fluffy cloth (old tea-shirt type stuff) and a little bit of sandpaper to keep the corks clean.  I also recommend WD-40 'Contact Cleaner'.  There are many other techniques as well.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

chrism

Quote from: chrispearce on January 10, 2021, 01:09:31 PM

We might well have saved you considerably more then £50  :D

re. the Gaugemaster/Noch axle-slung cleaning pads, as well as them doing a decent job, I also find them a handy "take my Amazon order over £20" basket filler  ;)

Bigmac

just thinking--is it possible to over-clean the rail tops ?

i was discussing a problem on a facebook group--someone had bad running issues with some dapol panniers--and was blaming the loco pickup arrangement--saying he had to strip and clean them often--and cleaned the rail every day.

i know it sounds daft--but would over cleaning be the problem ? using a rag to rub the rails creating static electricity--would this affect the loco pickup ?

i only clean my track when it gets really filthy--usually just  a spray of wd 40 contact cleaner--or a rub with a peco block if its really cruddy.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

chrism

Quote from: Bigmac on January 10, 2021, 02:21:50 PM
i know it sounds daft--but would over cleaning be the problem ? using a rag to rub the rails creating static electricity--would this affect the loco pickup ?

I very much doubt it - if any static doesn't get discharged simply by being connected to the controller it'll be completely wiped out as soon as the controller applies power to the track.

chrispearce

Maybe. Not an issue I have come across myself. I find a Peco track rubber is fine so far. It's just as scenery develops sticking my hand into tight areas of the layout seems potentially disastrous. This is why I thought having some electronic system would do the job hands-free.

Bob Tidbury

I used to use Gaugemaster High Frequency track cleaners on my layout with the old Farish and Minitrix Locos BUT AS SOON AS THE MODERN LOCOS APPEARED I have now fitted an Onn /Off switch and warning LED as the H/F Cleaner burnt out the lights in two of my locos ,I can still use them now and then as long as I only run VERY old locos .I am allso going to put a key switch in the circuit to prevent accidental use .I will keep the key on my shed key ring .
For modern stock they are an absolute NO GO .
Bob Tidbury

Papyrus

I used to have a Relco on my old layout many moons ago, but frankly it was worse than useless. These days, I use the free rail cleaners that come with Magnum ice cream bars  :) . The sticks (washed, of course) are just the right width to rub along the rails. They don't abrade the rail surface but get loads of muck off. I have a good supply at present, unfortunately, as we got through a lot of ice creams during the summer...

Cheers,

Chris

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%