Peco pl10e motors

Started by Derekm, October 27, 2020, 06:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derekm

Hi can anyone please advise why a 10mm hole is required for mounting under baseboard a peco pl10e motor and not a 2mm x 6mm slot ? Thanks in advance

ntpntpntp

Simply because it's easier to create?  :D   

I gave up creating slots decades ago, I just use something like an 8mm-10mm drill.   When ballasting later, you can use a little card to disguise some of the hole if desired, or simply guide the wet ballast around the hole to reduce its apparent size.

I reckon the holes for the point motor rod are not very visible in this photo?  (holes are top side of the points)

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Chris Morris

I drill a hole of around 8-10mm because I haven't got a 2 by 6 drill! I'm sure there is no problem with a slot other than at 2mm wide it would have to be far more accurate than my woodworking/track laying skills allow. The important thing is that the point motor rod mustn't touch the baseboard. Even a slight contact with the side of the slot will stop it from working perfectly.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Derekm

Thankyou for advice will save me a lot of work and can see what's you mean as there is quite a bit of sideway tolerance on the pin

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations