Card bildings kits

Started by mojo, May 02, 2020, 07:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojo

Having built several of the Metcalfe House and Shop kits I found that once in place on the layout the chimney pots were very easily knocked off when doing other work or moving hands around to operate points etc.
My solution has been to drill a fine hole in the top of the chimney stacks with my Archimedes and insert a track pin leaving the head about 3 mm proud of the top of the stack. This is then covered in a small amount of card glue and holds the pot more securely.
Now my other problem caused by mishandling is how to refix a few of the glazed windows!
If I make a cutout through the base I have to go through that and another floor level to get at the glazing, not a job I look forward to!
Any other options available?
Maurice C.   

Dorsetmike

I don't use the Metcalf glazing, I use Peedie models etched brass windows and doors and stick a piece of OHP transparency film over the complete inside of the wall, adds a little bit of strength & it also helps to keep the brass etch in place.

Chimney pots I either cut from plastic tube or use cast ones, I fill the top of the chimney stack with fillerand set the pots in that. The cast pots tend to go on buildings nearer the front of the layout, the plastic tube ones usually end up on the low relief buildings against the back scene.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%