Ultimate 10 guests to your dinner party

Started by exmouthcraig, April 12, 2020, 11:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

@class37025 I dont know what skills I have to pass on  :hmmm:

I could bring Lamb, Beef, potatoes and a few slabs of Carling if this years harvest goes to plan  :D

dannyboy

I am waiting for Mick @Newportnobby to come up with his list - Julia Roberts plus 9 clones maybe?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: themadhippy on April 13, 2020, 08:43:32 PM
The talk of flowers  and turing makes me wonder what dinner would be like with those two along with babage and ada lovlace

Probably way above my head, but now you mention them Babbage and Ada were apparently quite the socialites in their day (especially Babbage when he was well connected, he held his own dinner parties with the likes of Brunel).

Skyline2uk 

emjaybee

Quote from: Skyline2uk on April 13, 2020, 08:39:53 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on April 13, 2020, 08:17:57 PM
Quote from: Skyline2uk on April 13, 2020, 11:16:31 AM

Tommy Flowers (telephone engineer who actually made the theory of Turing real in the form of the colossus machines. £1000 of his own money and barely recognised by the nation he helped save).

Skyline2uk

He wasn't completely forgotten. On part of the old Bletchley Park site, they built a housing estate, and in there they built a care home specifically geared up for people with dementia. It was called 'Flowers House' after the man himself. My grandfather was a resident for a few years before he progressed to a nursing home.

Oh that's something I suppose (sorry about your Grandfather, hope he had as nice a time there as possible) and I am aware Tommy did get awarded £1000 by the government / nation. It's just that his story isn't as well known as Turnings and he wasn't allowed to talk about his work.

Skyline2uk

The place looked after my grandad very well. It was an amazing place.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Skyline2uk

QuoteThe place looked after my grandad very well. It was an amazing place.

Glad to hear that  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

guest311

Quote from: dannyboy on April 13, 2020, 08:49:25 PM
I am waiting for Mick @Newportnobby to come up with his list - Julia Roberts plus 9 clones maybe?

no just 8 clones plus one other, he'd want some variety, I'd imagine

guest311

Quote from: exmouthcraig on April 13, 2020, 08:47:21 PM
@class37025 I dont know what skills I have to pass on  :hmmm:

I could bring Lamb, Beef, potatoes and a few slabs of Carling if this years harvest goes to plan  :D

YOU ARE INVITED  :beers: :thumbsup: :food:

Newportnobby

Quote from: dannyboy on April 13, 2020, 08:49:25 PM

@dannyboy Go to the bottom of the class. Julia Roberts indeed. Pah! Liz Hurley and her 8 clones (plus me makes the ten) would have something to say about that.
The prandial conversation would possibly be incredibly boring but the after dinner party would be to die for (probably literally) :)

Edit: Hold on, I've just realised I can have 10 guests so that's 9 clones then :claphappy:

exmouthcraig

dannyboy

@Newportnobby
My sincere apologies Mick. I had 'that' picture of Liz wearing 'that' dress in my head when I posted my comment - no idea where Julia came from.  :-[
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

acko22

Hmm bit of fun although the idea of me hosting a dinner party......hope they like crisps for starters, microwave meal for mains and Haribo for desert  ;D

So my 10:

1) Werner von Siemens (One of the founders behind the company)
2) David Stirling (Founder of what is today known as the SAS)
3) Dave Grohl (Of Foo Fighters and Nirvana fame)
4) Sir Sean Connery
5) Dr Richard Beeching (Yes that Dr Beeching)
6) Chris Tarrant
7) Roger Daltry
8 ) Prince Philip (Come on the bloke is mental you never know what he is going to say, its only a matter of time before he says something!)
9) Jodie Comer (enough said)
10) Scarlett Johansson (again enough said really)

It would be a complete shambles but a ready supply of booze makes every situation better!!  :D
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Skyline2uk

Quote from: acko22 on April 13, 2020, 10:08:16 PM
Hmm bit of fun although the idea of me hosting a dinner party......hope they like crisps for starters, microwave meal for mains and Haribo for desert  ;D

So my 10:

1) Werner von Siemens (One of the founders behind the company)
2) David Stirling (Founder of what is today known as the SAS)
3) Dave Grohl (Of Foo Fighters and Nirvana fame)
4) Sir Sean Connery
5) Dr Richard Beeching (Yes that Dr Beeching)
6) Chris Tarrant
7) Roger Daltry
8 ) Prince Philip (Come on the bloke is mental you never know what he is going to say, its only a matter of time before he says something!)
9) Jodie Comer (enough said)
10) Scarlett Johansson (again enough said really)

It would be a complete shambles but a ready supply of booze makes every situation better!!  :D

That MUST happen and it MUST be filmed!

I suspect I would die laughing, but would be worth it....

Skyline2uk

Bealman

At least you could talk model railways with Roger Daltry
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

LASteve

So, ten guests plus myself and the lovely project manager. I'll be cooking. Please advise of any dietary restrictions in advance.

Sean Connery (SWMBO would kill me otherwise). Olivier Giroud as a stand-in if Sean can't make it.
Audrey Hepburn
Anthony Bourdain. He can expedite if I get in the weeds in the kitchen.
Michelle Obama
Bill Bryson
Lady Gaga
Harold Evans, ex Sunday Times editor. His dad was a locomotive driver based out of Newton Heath, which is a bonus
Princess Margaret
Brian Greene, physicist and author, and the only person to explain quantum theory by reference to Homer Simpson and Springfield.

... which leaves a place spare for one of the forum members, to be decided by a drawing of straws. We're unbalanced on the distaff side, so I might rig the straws :)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations