Rubbing Alcohol

Started by Dalek, April 09, 2020, 01:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalek

Hi Guys

I'm looking for a supplier of Rubbing Alcohol, not model railway related but i can always use it for that later. I am cleaning up my home cinema speakers, long story but they have a rubber coating on them that goes sticky and they end up looking bad covered in fluff, KEF eggs if there are any Home Cinema buffs reading this.

Anyhow the price of this stuff seems to have gone crazy during the current crisis, i'm sure the same people have 4 billion toilet rolls in the house  :smiley-laughing:

Does anybody know of a supplier that will post this stuff, ideally 1/2 a litre or a litre would be ideal.

Anybody help ?

Kind Regards
Craig

njee20

Global stocks have been diverted for making hand sanitiser etc at the moment. Anyone who does have stock is charging a fortune for it - that supplier Chris linked to is charging £26 for 1 litre. My normal supplier is Hexeal Chemicals, they charge £15 for five one litre bottles. However they've removed it from their site at the moment.

Something like GooGone, which is designed for the exact purpose, is probably a better solution for now. Or possibly acetone, depending on the material.

emjaybee

I normally get mine from APC Pure, they too have removed it from sale for the moment.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Papyrus

Quote from: njee20 on April 09, 2020, 02:16:26 PM
Global stocks have been diverted for making hand sanitiser etc at the moment. Anyone who does have stock is charging a fortune for it - that supplier Chris linked to is charging £26 for 1 litre. My normal supplier is Hexeal Chemicals, they charge £15 for five one litre bottles. However they've removed it from their site at the moment.

Something like GooGone, which is designed for the exact purpose, is probably a better solution for now. Or possibly acetone, depending on the material.

Ah. Didn't realise that. Sorry for the misplaced optimism...  :confused1:

Cheers,

Chris

Dalek

I might be cheaper using petrol at this rate.

This is what i'm wanting it for

I looked up the stuff he is using, it's now £110 for 5 litres !  :o

Craig

Papyrus

I was going to suggest trying surgical spirit which is our go-to gentle cleaner, but that's probably all disappeared as well...

cheers,

Chris

joe cassidy

I would use lighter fuel.

themadhippy

wd40 might be  worth a try,it gets sticky tape residue of cables a treat.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Doc Pye

As others have said, IPA is in short supply. I use it for cleaning things as well as on my 3D resin printer. It is normally cheap but right now, way overpriced, even when you can get it.

Have you also considered using methylated spirits, as it cleans most things but it can also strip paint off so be careful.

Chuffington

Not sure if it would work for what you need to do but olive oil is great for removing sticky residue.

joe cassidy

But how do you remove the olive oil residue ?

chrism

Quote from: joe cassidy on April 10, 2020, 11:18:56 AM
But how do you remove the olive oil residue ?

Call for Popeye  :laugh:

Trainfish

New speakers would be cheaper than IPA right now. I have loads of IPA here but mine is a little different to what you're wanting  :beers:

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Mr Sprue

Methylated spirit diluted 50% with water, because there is no surgical spirit about we are using that as a sanitiser, pretty much the same thing as surgical spirit!

I also use this mix to clean my specs so it so it shouldn't harm your speakers.

Hope that helps.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations