Hatton's Beyer-Garratt

Started by N_GaugeModeller, November 16, 2019, 11:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorpe Parva

Disapppointing but not too surprising as it seems to be have been abeyance for several months.

Since Hattons' falling-out with Bachmann my regular on-line purchases from Hattons have stopped. Looks like the Garratt is another chunk of money they won't be getting from me. I did comment on the corresponding thread on RMWEB that if Hattons & Bachmann were to make up then the Garratt would be a possible candidate for the EFE range (which seems to be largely third-party products) as it would gain a lot more exposure. Oh well.

Richard Taylor

Posted earlier today on RMWeb by Matthew Richter of Lychett Manor models:

" Further Update

Following the news that Hatton's have now suspended the work on their Garratt, I will be looking in to re doing the mould so further kits can be produced, I am also looking in to producing it as a 3D printed kit as I have purchased a 3D printer to make some things for myself and also to slowly expand my range.  Further to this if there is sufficient response I will also look at the S&DJR 7F again, but I will not invest unless their is a demand for both models.

There is lots of work going on behind the scenes, all be it at a slower pace and only when both time and pain allows me to try and do things, it may take me a while to bring these items back but I am working on them and also other new items to go in to both ranges.

Further to this the old "Fleetline" name is now officially no longer used, and all new N gauge items will be under the Lytchett Manor Models name, look out for new packaging coming soon and new models."

Hope this is of interest.

Richard

Richard Taylor

Quote from: longbow on October 21, 2020, 10:16:04 PM
N Gauge is clearly a marginal market for steam outline locos and such an esoteric and expensive offering was always going to be a long way down most want-lists.

I'd agree that this was the wrong choice for a company's first toe in the water with N gauge steam, but the LMS Garratt is hardly esoteric: 33 built (compare: only 38 Princess Coronations or 36 A4 Pacifics) as the mainstay heavy goods engines for the Midland mainline for thirty years.  But perhaps that's an issue: general knowledge about the reality of the steam railway is declining and people don't seem inclined to find out, which affects perceived demand. 

Still, not sure I'd agree that N steam is "marginal" yet - plenty of models out there.  And there is such a thing as  a good new model creating a demand - class 17 Clayton anyone?  But not, perhaps, at £199 a pop for a model from a non-proven brand in N.

RT

Richard

honk843

I contacted Hattons and said that as an N gauge modeller who had had £400 waiting to buy a pair of these locomotives, perhaps they could confirm if hey were doing anything else and if not what they could supply that was new. Unfortunately I did not qualify what I meant by new and they suggested a whole array of Dapol product which at the best were renumbering of earlier models. Even a Siphon which was if I remember correctly one of their earliest releases.
I replied to the effect that I had all the models within the range they were offering that I wanted most of which I had bought from the Signalbox in Rochester who had stopped trading the best part of ten years ago. and were they able to offer things like the Sonic 56XX tank, Revolution 128 etc. (tongue in cheek)
It appears that it has all fallen on deaf ears however and I got a one word reply "Sorry".
It just about sums  things up though. How can Hattons expect to attract an N Gauge clientele when they don't do anything in N gauge. My account has not has anything debited on it since the beginning of the year and that was for track. I have however bought a lot of stuff either locally or from Rails.

Bad Raven

I was another one with two Garratts as a target.

IMOthough  it was an unfortunate choice, being unsuitable for many modellers layouts.

Personally I would have thought with the Patriot project underway an unrebuilt Patriot would have been a much bigger draw, being justifiable on many modern image layouts.
Dave

Haanaya

Don't want to get over exited, but the Garratts are back on Hattons for pre-order.
Live by Rule one!  (When the wife isn't watching, anyway)

JonMann

Quote from: Haanaya on January 24, 2021, 07:12:37 PM
Don't want to get over exited, but the Garratts are back on Hattons for pre-order.

Don't think it was ever taken off as I'm sure I checked before Christmas and they were still there.. My pre-order is still on my account too.

Haanaya

Thought it might be too good to be true, I find the Hattons site a little tricky to navigate sometimes, it can be a little hard to find anything off the beaten track, as it were.  I have managed to register my interest, which I didn't thing was possible any more.

I will wait and watch, hope is a wonderful thing!

honk843

I don't think that Hattons ever deleted them although they were deleted from their advertising, but there may have been a change in the spec. recently?. My order has never been deleted but I threw away my original spec. a couple of weeks back.
When we were circulated to say that this was being put on ice I asked Hattons if they could offer an alternative, forth-coming new out-line N gauge  loco (not just a renumber/re-liveried job) as I had £400 put to one side for them. I got a one word answer--Sorry. Although they did say that they were going to review the situation in due course, I would have thought the Covid restrictions would not help.
It says on the Rails web-site that the EFE class 17 (all 11 versions) is sold out at Bachman and if Hattons look at their problem with Bachman and Dapols slow N gauge movement they may feel that they are missing out (no Sonic/ Revolution either?) So as they have already spent money they may feel it better to continue.
If the advertising picks up we will know until then don't expect too much.

Haanaya

Sounds like we are not completely beyond hope, but I won't hold my breath.  Thank-you for explaining, it's good to have a better picture of all the ins and outs.  (And the class 17's are really nice.)

I know some have made mention that the advertising may not have been very well targetted, I only discovered the Hattons model while looking for other info on the web. 

(Please understand, that's in no way a criticism!) 

Hopefully Hattons will be able to revisit this when things return to whatever normal we will all have to learn to live with!

longbow

I don't think any crowdfunded N Gauge steam loco has reached its production hurdle to date. And the B-G is a harder sell than most. So I don't hold out much hope we'll see this one in production.

Mr Sprue

I've still got a new Lytchett white metal kit in the project drawer. If only I had the time to build it !  :P  :D

Bad Raven

Quote from: Mr Sprue on January 26, 2021, 07:59:12 AM
I've still got a new Lytchett white metal kit in the project drawer. If only I had the time to build it !  :P  :D

So have I, and a pair of the chassis set aside that have been tested to have matching performance, but I'd still buy two from Hattons if available.

Only one of my current three active layouts can accomodate the length/practical radius, and even there it would look rather stupid with only about six wagons trailing, so none of them would be required until the now long term lockdown access prevented layout gets built, and who knows when that's going to be possible? In what gaps I have had between lockdowns I have done the lighting and part prepared the area, with 16' 9" x 8' volume of walling to paint next!!

Oh, and to the locos "nearly there when time" list, running and base painted but awaiting finishing, :-

LMS (ex LNWR) G2/G2A 0-8-0  (Round firebox boiler, to add to my two UM ones to provide the two main boiler types, I was a little frustrated that UM chose the belpaire when there's no motor to have to accomodate!)
LMS (ex LNWR) Prince of Wales Tank
LMS (ex S&DJR) 2-8-0 (well out of my layout area, but  hey, I like the look!)

Basically, I have a thing for parallel boiler locos, with three Fowler 2-6-4T, two "Patriot", and a "Scot".

As already said, IMO Hattons should have gone for a parallel boiler Patriot, which would offer the full range of LMS and BR steam liveries inc the upcoming modern "new build".

Dave

Mr Sprue

@Bad Raven

TBH after seeing the superb work that Dr AL did modeling the white metal B-G kit, its inspired me to have a go and definitely high up on my modeling bucket list!  ;)

Richard Taylor

Quote from: longbow on January 26, 2021, 12:45:37 AM
I don't think any crowdfunded N Gauge steam loco has reached its production hurdle to date.

Just a point of information - the Hattons B-G isn't "crowdfunded".  Hattons are testng the market by inviting expressions of interest with no commitment to buy.  Money is not being taken and used to fund production of the model if you place a pre-order.

I think that there's a lot wrong with how they are approaching this project - the choice of prototype for their first N steam loco, and that they are going about soliciting expressions of interest in a very half-hearted and inefficient manner - but this is not a DJM-type risky project as far as the consumer is concerned. 

In fact, apart from the unlamented DJM I'm not sure that I can think of a single crowdfunded N loco project - they have all been low-risk expressions of interest.

Cheers,

Richard T 

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%