!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ideal glue for minor loco repairs?  (Read 194 times)

Offline Thebaz

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Ideal glue for minor loco repairs?
« on: September 09, 2019, 01:12:23 PM »
Afternoon all, pertaining to the subject line what is the best type of glue for effecting minor repairs on a running model? In this instance we're talking the (non-working) coupler end of a DMU which has fallen off.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Ideal glue for minor loco repairs?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 01:29:54 PM »
Depends on the material and whether it's a painted or plastic surface?

For plastics I prefer to use thin liquid solvents which flow into the joint by capillary action - apply just the tiniest amount to the joint (after fitting the part in place) with a very fine paintbrush. For example, Humbrol Liquid Poly.  If the part has a peg which protruded to the bodyshell then apply the solvent from the back rather than the front.

I also keep a plastic "bottle" of thicker liquid glue with a long fine spout for when it's easier to apply a tiny drop of glue to the peg or hole before fitting the piece.  For example, Humbrol Precision Poly Cement.

For metals or waxy plastics then I use superglue, applied from the end of a pin.

(NB, I don't necessarily always use Humbrol products, there are plenty of other brands offering the same sort of stuff!)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 01:32:15 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline honestjudge

• N Gauge Society Number: 16285
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 12:22:43 AM »
I have used a product called GS Hypo for some repairs. Its used for jewelry repairs and I used it a lot for repairs to clear plastics as it dries clear. It has a precision applicator integral to the tube. Its a bit like super glue but not as instant. I have never had a problem with it and used it extensively.
The other product I like is Deluxe Glue 'N' Glaze. It seems to stick to everything, dries clear, and is not an instant stick.

Offline Thebaz

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 01:35:42 PM »
Thanks chaps

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP