!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Preparing factory finish for paint  (Read 257 times)

Offline exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
Preparing factory finish for paint
« on: September 07, 2019, 06:55:21 PM »
 :helpneededsign:

Evening All, I recently purchased these for a very reasonable price and although only the BG in SR green is hard to come by the rest are readily available in fully factory SR green.

However I bought these and the challenge is too make them look respectable against the fleet of coaches.

One concern is that the tops coded NOV, steel CCT or mini GUV never appeared is green. This I'd love to be proved one way or the other, the only colour photos I have of any on location are BR Maroon, which if they have to be they will.

My first issue is preparing these for paint. They are all stripped if parts BUT is there something I can dunk them in to remove the blue without damaging the detail? That's the reason I'm not straight on them with the 2000 grade wet and dry, I just think I'll loose detail and not prepare the surface well enough.

Help, information and recommendations I await, and if anyone can definitively say if the NOVs ever appeared green I'd appreciate it

:thankyousign:

Offline RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Preparing factory finish for paint
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 07:06:42 PM »
I use Strip Magic which works well but needs testing carefully on each model - it'll strip one model quicker than another and in doing so may damage the plastic. I work on a small area (1" square) at a time. I wouldn't recommend dunking a plastic model in this stuff.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 07:21:09 PM »
Got to be worth a punt then and just be very careful over applying it.  :thankyousign:

Offline geoffc

• N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 07:27:30 PM »
I have used Phoenix Paints stripper and it works well, I have also dunked them in warm caustic soda solution, note the latter discolours clear plastic. Others have used Brasso or brake fluid, I tried the later without a lot of success.

Geoff

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 07:57:55 PM »
I use IPA, which IMO is far less aggressive than anything else suggested. Leave bodyshell for 12 hours or so and the paint peels off.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 08:09:25 PM »
I use IPA, which IMO is far less aggressive than anything else suggested. Leave bodyshell for 12 hours or so and the paint peels off.

Leave it submerged njee or just brush on and leave??

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 08:19:30 PM »
One concern is that the tops coded NOV, steel CCT or mini GUV never appeared is green. This I'd love to be proved one way or the other, the only colour photos I have of any on location are BR Maroon, which if they have to be they will. paul bartletts site shows blue in later years. hope helps craig

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 08:26:00 PM »

Leave it submerged njee or just brush on and leave??

Submerged, I’ve left bodyshells for days before with no ill effects. Other things will melt your models.

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 08:30:27 PM »
I was put onto Mr Muscle oven cleaner by Chris, of Old Warren fame.

used it with no problems on locos and carriages.

take away tray, place loco / carriage / whatever in it, spray Mr M over it [foamy], put on lid and then leave overnight.

I have also been able, with this method and a shorter time period, to remove various coats of paint and printing, ie triple grey cl 37 into plain grey cl37.

as with anything, of course trial first.
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 08:37:36 PM »

take away tray, place loco / carriage / whatever in it, spray Mr M over it [foamy], put on lid and then leave overnight.

I have also been able, with this method and a shorter time period, to remove various coats of paint and printing, ie triple grey cl 37 into plain grey cl37.

With the added benefit of having to have a takeaway meal first! :foodanddrink:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 11:20:22 PM »

With the added benefit of having to have a takeaway meal first! :foodanddrink:

And since you had a take-away, you won't be needing it to clean your oven!

Mike

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 01:22:11 PM »
Craig;

From the HMRS/Parkin book on Mk1s;

Full brakes (BG)-mostly lined maroon, but two batches which were turned out in unlined crimson later had unlined maroon. A few WR were chocolate and cream-W80713 commandeered to work Bournemouth Belle, and others did 'escape' from WR for periods. SR did not have own allocation until 1965, when some dual heated ones repainted green.

Mk1 CCT and GUV;-mostly lined maroon, but the SR GUVs were green, as were SR allocated horse boxes (as per Farish).

For stripping, I also use Precision PS18 SuperStrip or IPA or brake fluid with success-depends what's available on my shelf. Do NOT use 'domestic' paint strippers-they will rapidly melt plastic, but I have used them on metal, with extreme care.

Martyn

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything