!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Revolution Offering Mk5 coaches (with Accurascale)  (Read 6002 times)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Revolution Offering Mk5 coaches (with Accurascale)
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2019, 02:39:52 PM »
That's the second time I've seen that photo without mention of who it is that can actually do them. Any reason for the secret squirrel stuff? Ignoring the fact the photo isn't actually even uploaded properly!

Looks like Sutton St Anne's, do I assume they're the work of Antony Ainsley-Sutton?

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards

Offline davidinyork

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2019, 03:11:04 PM »
There are also the Network Rail Yellow 73/9 as well. I believe they all may have slight variations other than colour scheme.

The Network Rail ones (of which there are only two) are completely different and were converted by RVEL / LORAM in Derby. They each have a pair of Cummins QSK19 engines (as used in Voyagers, etc), and no ETS capability.

The Brush conversions for GBRF are more conventional and have an MTU R43 8-cylinder engine - basically an updated model of a half-sized version of the MTU engine in HST power cars. There are a few differences in the way the two batches are set up (the sleeper ones have a higher ETS rating), but so far as I've noticed the only obvious external difference is that the sleeper ones are now fitted with drophead Dellner couplers whereas the ones for infrastructure work aren't.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2019, 03:28:45 PM »
I didn't realise someone had done a 3D print for the CS/GBRf 73/9s - I'll have to decide whether to go ahead with my plan to butcher some cheap Dapol bodies!

Back on to the Mark 5s - we've done a survey of the TPE coaches (Mk 5A) and got quotes from various factories.  We've decided on which factory to go with and we're awaiting a revised date to visit Polmadie (our original date got cancelled - turns out measuring and photographing for model trains isn't as important as the real job of the depots!).  Order book should open in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers Mike

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2019, 03:48:29 PM »
That's the second time I've seen that photo without mention of who it is that can actually do them. Any reason for the secret squirrel stuff? Ignoring the fact the photo isn't actually even uploaded properly!

Looks like Sutton St Anne's, do I assume they're the work of Antony Ainsley-Sutton?

The photo was uploaded correctly once upon a time but this seems to have gone wonky! You have guessed correctly regarding the source of the work.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2019, 11:58:02 AM »

Hello all,

A little inspiration - I am looking forward to picking up one of the Farish 57s in Northern Belle livery and it turns out it'll go rather nicely with the Mk5s in TPE, as it appears to have been used for delivering the sets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBYFLvaqkZA

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Nighthawk

• N Gauge Society Number: 21103
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2019, 02:25:27 PM »
Have just found the TransPennine Express Mk5 variants in the Revolution website shop.  Two sets of five vehicles at £225.00 (same price as the OO versions from Accurascale).  Nothing new in the News or Projects sections as yet.

Details somewhat limited with nothing regarding lighting arrangements.

Will wait for further information before placing an order.

John D

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2019, 02:41:30 PM »
Be interesting to see how the pricing on the Caledonian ones is. £45 a vehicle is certainly at the top end (even allowing for the fact one is a DT) of what we've seen previously, and works out more expensive per-unit than the last batch of sound-fitted Pendolinos if that's not a grossly unfair comparison.

I definitely want a set of the sleepers, but may have to temper plans for a full rake!

Offline Nighthawk

• N Gauge Society Number: 21103
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2019, 03:24:13 PM »
Yes, £45 per vehicle does seem quite a bit.
However, if internal lighting is(?) included throughout along with directional lighting(?) for the DVT (as per the OO spec) then I would be more than happy to pay the price and not to have to retrofit light bars.
Perhaps Ben or Mike can enlighten us further?
John D.

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2019, 03:38:47 PM »
Why do people use the term 'DVT'? it's not a van at all. DT or DTS is a more accurate description.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2019, 03:42:22 PM »
Because DVT just rolls off the tongue (or fingers) and it's what we're naturally conditioned to call a non-powered vehicle with a cab. But yes, in this context it's not a "V".

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2019, 04:49:22 PM »
The DT will have directional lighting as will any coaches (e.g. the sleepers) with tail lights.

The spec is pretty similar to the OO version as we want the same level of quality. The coaches are coming out of the same factory as the OO models as well so that we get some consistency of design and features (as well as a small saving in costs).

We're waiting to see what the designers can fit in the coaches before we say there will definitely be interior lighting though that is certainly our hope.

Prices are a reflection of the amount of tooling and detail I'm afraid (and not out of line particularly with Farish's recent Birdcage stock which have an RRP of £50/coach). Comparisons with the Pendolino don't really help as that was tooled nearly 4(?) years ago and if we were producing it now it would be considerably more expensive.

Cheers Mike
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:08:30 PM by red_death »

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2019, 04:53:56 PM »
PS the pricing on the Caledonian Sleepers will be the same for the same reasons.

Cheers Mike

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2019, 05:47:59 PM »
Thanks Mike, and apologies for drawing grossly unfair comparisons!

Iím sure a rake will still find their way onto the layout!

Offline Bingley Hall

• N Gauge Society Number: 21700
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2019, 04:57:04 AM »
For those that think the prices are too high, and thereby implying that either Revolution's business model is flawed or that Andy and Mike are excessively lining their pockets at our expense, there is a very, very simple answer.

Set up your own model company and bring products to us at cheaper prices. No excuses - Andy and Mike have shown the way, now you show us it can be done cheaper!

Time and time again people, including even the much maligned Mr Jones, have tried to inform forumites of the perils and costs of production, yet no-one seems to pay a bind bit of notice.

So enough with the mithering, get out there and show us how it's done :P

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal