A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021

Started by woodbury22uk, February 09, 2019, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben A

Hello all,

Some good news re the wrongly moulded interior for the composite car, which has the 2+1 first class seating at the standard end, and the 2+2 standard seating at the first class end...

My understanding is that this has been corrected by Kato and that only the first batch of GWR models are affected.  The LNER Azuma variants next month, and subsequent deliveries of GWR models, will have the correct interior.

For those (including me) who were supplied with the wrong interior spares are being sent from Japan and these will be sent out FOC in due course to those who have faulty models.  Those who are nervous about making the switch themselves can send the car off to be corrected, though it is incredibly easy, since all the parts just unclip and clip back together, there's no gluing or soldering involved.

BUT PLEASE REFRAIN from contacting your dealer for a replacement just yet.   Enough are being supplied to provide a replacement for anyone who might want one, but they are not here yet and won't be for about another month.

More detailed instructions about who to contact will come once the parts are here, and I will be sure to relay them onto this forum.

cheers

Ben A.

Newportnobby

Thanks, Ben, especially as I wouldn't have known any different owing to it being far too modern for me to know anything about it. :dunce:

woodbury22uk

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 22, 2021, 02:12:33 PM
Thanks, Ben, especially as I wouldn't have known any different owing to it being far too modern for me to know anything about it. :dunce:

@Newportnobby You do know that the seats are upholstered now (after a fashion :-)) so no more splinters from those wooden slatted benches.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Bob G

Why has no one ever pointed out to Dapol that the seats in their MkIII second class coaches are wrong. You never get 2nd class seats lined up with windows for one, and you get airline seats too.

Well done Kato.

Bob

PLD

Quote from: Bob G on May 22, 2021, 03:51:30 PM
Why has no one ever pointed out to Dapol that the seats in their MkIII second class coaches are wrong. You never get 2nd class seats lined up with windows for one, and you get airline seats too.
I believe they are correct for 'as build' HST stock at least...

Given that each operator refurbished to their own specification arrangement and (increased) capacity, it's probably not realistic to expect Dapol to have tooled different seating layouts to go with every different livery produced...

P.S. what's that got to do with the Kato 800 anyway...

woodbury22uk

Quote from: PLD on May 22, 2021, 05:15:41 PM

Given that each operator refurbished to their own specification arrangement and (increased) capacity, it's probably not realistic to expect Dapol to have tooled different seating layouts to go with every different livery produced...

The original Mk3 second class coaches had 72 seats and the seating bays did not align exactly with the windows. An extra row was inserted each side of the central partition as this photo shows:-

https://live.staticflickr.com/520/20152927819_ff4e4cd20b_b.jpg

In some ways it is good that Kato are correcting their Class 800 seating mould, though it can't have a beneficial effect on the profitability of the project. They'll need to add some of the other liveries sooner rather than later.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Bob G

Quote from: PLD on May 22, 2021, 05:15:41 PM

Simply that Dapol "made do" with the first class seating in second class, while Kato issued the wrong seating and then set out to fix it.
It's like watching the "Have I got News for You" odd one out round, but there are only two options, not four :)

Bob

njee20

But they didn't. They're 2+1 in First and 2+2 in standard, like the real thing. Still not about the 800 though. We can have a 21 page discussion on the errors Dapol made with the mk3s easily, but this isn't it.

Bob G

Quote from: njee20 on May 22, 2021, 06:13:18 PM
But they didn't. They're 2+1 in First and 2+2 in standard, like the real thing. Still not about the 800 though. We can have a 21 page discussion on the errors Dapol made with the mk3s easily, but this isn't it.
Ha ha, point taken. But @woodbury22uk is still right about the airline seats, which was my original grumble.

RailGooner

It's a new and pleasant experience for me, that the first I hear of a problem is from the manufacturer and if that isn't efficient enough they've got the solution in hand!

Did I hear Dapol mentioned?! I hope they're reading this. I recall when Dapol messed up the bogie frames on their early 66s - I had to buy the correct frames!

Bob G

Quote from: RailGooner on May 22, 2021, 07:51:30 PM
It's a new and pleasant experience for me, that the first I hear of a problem is from the manufacturer and if that isn't efficient enough they've got the solution in hand!

Did I hear Dapol mentioned?! I hope they're reading this. I recall when Dapol messed up the bogie frames on their early 66s - I had to buy the correct frames!

Dapol did supply the 9F front bogie fix but I had to buy new bogies for the first B set coaches they made. The back to backs were well off on the originals and the axle design was not suited to any adjustments.
And as for Farish split gears....

Bob

Bob

gc4946

Quote from: Ben A on May 22, 2021, 02:05:55 PM
Hello all,

Some good news re the wrongly moulded interior for the composite car, which has the 2+1 first class seating at the standard end, and the 2+2 standard seating at the first class end...

My understanding is that this has been corrected by Kato and that only the first batch of GWR models are affected.  The LNER Azuma variants next month, and subsequent deliveries of GWR models, will have the correct interior.

For those (including me) who were supplied with the wrong interior spares are being sent from Japan and these will be sent out FOC in due course to those who have faulty models.  Those who are nervous about making the switch themselves can send the car off to be corrected, though it is incredibly easy, since all the parts just unclip and clip back together, there's no gluing or soldering involved.

BUT PLEASE REFRAIN from contacting your dealer for a replacement just yet.   Enough are being supplied to provide a replacement for anyone who might want one, but they are not here yet and won't be for about another month.

More detailed instructions about who to contact will come once the parts are here, and I will be sure to relay them onto this forum.

cheers

Ben A.

Well done, Kato, for correcting the error - I'm now really looking forward to owning a miniature Azuma for my birthday treat
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

pape_timmo

There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

dannyboy

In case anyone is waiting for the GWR special set, I have been informed today, by 'Rails', that it is now in stock.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

dannyboy

Further to the above, I received an email from Rails on Saturday evening, basically saying that they did not receive enough units, so were waiting on further supplies before they could despatch my order. They got a polite email back basically saying that David was not impressed, especially as my Bank have 'ring fenced' the money!   >:(
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations