Track Foot Crossing

Started by Artisan, December 30, 2018, 09:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artisan

:helpneededsign:

I want to make or purchase a track foot crossing (if that's the correct term) with an appearance of wood at the bottom of the ramps of two opposite platforms. I have searched online but perhaps not using the correct terminology I can't find anything.  Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes such a thing or does anyone know how to make a realistic looking foot crossing?
Best regards
Greg

Newportnobby

Woodland Scenics make a ready to plant version (ref C1149) but why pay a tenner or so when you could make one from scratch with either matches or balsa sheet cut to suitable length/width strips glued down and stained? @Delboy has some 3D printed plastic ones at a very reasonable price but they have a slope each side of the single track. I don't know if he has 'infill' pieces for your double track.

Artisan

:thankyousign:

Thanks for that. I was going to order the Balsa wood to make it when I found the Woodland Scenics item on eBay at £6.99 including postage. Thanks again.

Best regards
Greg

port perran

Or appropriate strips of plasticard also work well.

I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

NGS-PO

Quote from: Artisan on December 30, 2018, 09:41:02 AM

I want to make or purchase a track foot crossing (if that's the correct term) with an appearance of wood at the bottom of the ramps of two opposite platforms. I have searched online but perhaps not using the correct terminology I can't find anything.  Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes such a thing or does anyone know how to make a realistic looking foot crossing?

A common term for this is "Barrow Crossing"

On previous layout I used balsa of appropriate thickness. You can either use sheet balsa and score it lightly to look like planks/sleepers, or you can use strip balsa and assemble it like the real thing.
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Delboy

She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Artisan

Quote from: NGS-PO on December 30, 2018, 02:42:08 PM
Quote from: Artisan on December 30, 2018, 09:41:02 AM

A common term for this is "Barrow Crossing"

On previous layout I used balsa of appropriate thickness. You can either use sheet balsa and score it lightly to look like planks/sleepers, or you can use strip balsa and assemble it like the real thing.

Thank you for informing me of the term Barrow Crossing and the information concerning the Balsa construction.

Best regards
Greg

Lawrence

Next time you are in a coffee shop, appropriate a couple of those wooden stirrers and make your own  ;)

Les1952

I have a foot crossing on Hawthorn Dene, at the bottom of the white steps - a prototype feature at Easington.  The other end of it can just be seen appearing from under the push-pull set.

An occupation/barrow crossing is a good way of finding out which of your stock has larger smaller back-to-backs than the rest (these bounce/derail). This in turn means either changing the offending wheelsets- not always easy on a kitbuilt loco or opening out the clearances on the crossing.  I ended up doing both as there were too many locos that were affected.   The crossing has continued to be a bit of a stalling point for locos. 

One issue you will find is that if you paint the thing that paint will wear as you clean the track, or dissolve in time if you use a liquid cleaner.  This in turn leads to white patches which needs to be touched in - more chance for stray paint to reach rail head and for stalling- therefore an area to be rubbed harder at next track cleaning time, rubbing the paint off the crossing..........

I'm not saying don't do it.  Justv be prepared for it to be a high maintenance part of your trackwork.

Have fun.
Les
(just thankful that pics of Croft Spa appear not to show a barrow crossing North of the road bridge)

Artisan

Best regards
Greg

Delboy

Quote from: Les1952 on December 30, 2018, 10:59:33 PM
I have a foot crossing on Hawthorn Dene, at the bottom of the white steps - a prototype feature at Easington.  The other end of it can just be seen appearing from under the push-pull set.

An occupation/barrow crossing is a good way of finding out which of your stock has larger smaller back-to-backs than the rest (these bounce/derail). This in turn means either changing the offending wheelsets- not always easy on a kitbuilt loco or opening out the clearances on the crossing.  I ended up doing both as there were too many locos that were affected.   The crossing has continued to be a bit of a stalling point for locos. 

One issue you will find is that if you paint the thing that paint will wear as you clean the track, or dissolve in time if you use a liquid cleaner.  This in turn leads to white patches which needs to be touched in - more chance for stray paint to reach rail head and for stalling- therefore an area to be rubbed harder at next track cleaning time, rubbing the paint off the crossing..........

I'm not saying don't do it.  Justv be prepared for it to be a high maintenance part of your trackwork.

Have fun.
Les
(just thankful that pics of Croft Spa appear not to show a barrow crossing North of the road bridge)
Hi Les,
Thank you for the well informed answer.
I suppose the benefit of doing my own is that I can leave a slightly wider gap with the "between the rails" section such that the back to back wheel setting would have to be well wide of the mark to cause derailments. With regards to the paint lifting during track cleaning I have sealed mine with matt varnish which affords some protection against this.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

joe cassidy

I would use the thin wood used for punnets of strawberries etc. - you get the grain effect free of charge.

Best regards,

Joe

Les1952

Quote from: Delboy on December 31, 2018, 10:55:38 AM

Hi Les,
Thank you for the well informed answer.
I suppose the benefit of doing my own is that I can leave a slightly wider gap with the "between the rails" section such that the back to back wheel setting would have to be well wide of the mark to cause derailments. With regards to the paint lifting during track cleaning I have sealed mine with matt varnish which affords some protection against this.

So did I, and it didn't.......

The other tip is to cheat and keep the top of the crossing lower than it ought to be.  It is not unusual for things to start hanging down from wagons (and occasionally locos) during a running session and for these to be unnoticed until they catch on something.  I mean these push-fit details we get worked up about if manufacturers leave them off, but which with a life of rattling over Peco points work loose.  A slightly lowered surface also makes the rails easier to clean through the crossing.

All the very best.
Les

Delboy

Hi Les,
Happy New Year and thanks for the extra tips. Well appreciated.
Regards Dennis.

Cutter

Also, as has been hinted at above barrow crossings were generally made from old sleepers and should be a sleeper's length wide.
Having said that, in the 1930s the station I am modeling, Welwyn North, had a regular barrow crossing at the end of the platforms and a very narrow one forming a short cut between the booking office and the down platform.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations