!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: GWR 4500 Tank Class  (Read 1256 times)

Offline TimR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28319
    • Awards
GWR 4500 Tank Class
« on: December 19, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »
As per the title, I'm looking for a GWR 4500 class loco (probably three) if I can find them, does anyone or has anyone made these in N gauge?

If not what are my alternatives? if any.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: GWR 4500 Tank Class
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 02:46:37 PM »
As per the title, I'm looking for a GWR 4500 class loco (probably three) if I can find them, does anyone or has anyone made these in N gauge?

Thanks in advance.

Tim
Hi Tim. Dapol produced these a while back(both sloping and straight tank varieities - both worked the Princetown branch). However, I think they are now sold out so itís down to buying second hand.
I have 3 of them - nice little locomotives.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline TimR

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 02:54:36 PM »

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Tim
Hi Tim. Dapol produced these a while back(both sloping and straight tank varieities - both worked the Princetown branch). However, I think they are now sold out so itís down to buying second hand.
I have 3 of them - nice little locomotives.
Martin

Ahh thanks for that Martin, 2nd hand is fine and as you can see my research has started  :) it really is surprising what you can find when you actually start looking.

I suppose ebay should be my first port of call along with the outlets that keep used stock.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:05:14 PM by TimR, Reason: got it wrong »

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 03:18:44 PM »
Here's a Dapol slope tank  (ND-060D):

Very nice little runner. I did worry it looked a bit overscale for the coaches (a Dapol "B set") but here's one running with a "D set" in real life and the cab roof does seem higher than the coaches: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbh2628.htm
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:21:13 PM by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 03:34:55 PM »
And hereís a straight tank example.
Again, a lovely little runner.

Offline TimR

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 04:18:46 PM »
Here's a Dapol slope tank  (ND-060D):

Very nice little runner. I did worry it looked a bit overscale for the coaches (a Dapol "B set") but here's one running with a "D set" in real life and the cab roof does seem higher than the coaches: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbh2628.htm

Hi railsquid, that looks really nice, thank you for sharing, great looking colour scheme.

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 04:19:34 PM »
Be careful buying them second hand, they were a prime example of problem Dapol locos.  So much so they were redesigned resulting in some improvement but not a lot.

Buy from a second hand stand at a show or shop where you can see it tested.  There is a high probability an eBay one will be a bad one.

the main problem was wheel on axle slip and loosing quartering causing the valve gear to be trashed.

Offline TimR

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 04:21:49 PM »
And hereís a straight tank example.
Again, a lovely little runner.

Thank you as well Martin, looks just as good in black, I have found a "mint" example on ebay so I expect to be spending some money very shortly  ;)

Offline TimR

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 04:25:04 PM »
Be careful buying them second hand, they were a prime example of problem Dapol locos.  So much so they were redesigned resulting in some improvement but not a lot.

Buy from a second hand stand at a show or shop where you can see it tested.  There is a high probability an eBay one will be a bad one.

the main problem was wheel on axle slip and loosing quartering causing the valve gear to be trashed.

Thanks for the heads up snowwolflair, I do have my eye on one at the moment that is described as mint, is there a fix for that particular problem?

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 04:29:50 PM »

Hmm, I must have got lucky, based on my 2nd-hand sample of 1 bought via mail order, it's perfectly fine for a small N gauge kettle and purrs round my layout with nary a problem.  Mind you I must have a lucky touch, my Dapol 14xx is also one of the "good" ones.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 04:33:03 PM »
At least with EBay if it is not as described you can get your money back.
Hattons.co.uk also has a large stock of secondhand. The best ones seem to go very quickly.
KJB Models who advertise on here have always sold good locos at good prices, so look them up too.

HTH
Bob

Offline ODRAILS

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 04:55:06 PM »

[/quote

Please provide more detail re: "they were redesigned". I wasn't aware of this.
By the way,  these model 45xx locos don't have any "valve gear", they have coupling rods and connecting rods.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 04:57:41 PM »

Thanks for the heads up snowwolflair, I do have my eye on one at the moment that is described as mint, is there a fix for that particular problem?
Good luck with your bid.

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 05:04:01 PM »

That's why they redesigned the chassis.  Be very sparing with any use of oil, use a dry lubricant like Teflon that wont seep into the axles.

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 05:04:26 PM »
I got one of the first models and it has been fine so far. I tested two and picked the best when I bought it from Osbourns years ago. As with all models I think itís a case of luck and careful handling.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here