The Great Model Railway Challenge

Started by Newportnobby, September 22, 2018, 08:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

Quote from: Philip. on October 20, 2018, 01:30:15 PM
A bit hit and miss for me last night and the Steampunks did nothing for me at all. The show seemed too rushed and didn't hold my attention like last weeks.

The right team won though, and by a country mile.

Agreed.

The childish innuendos were not needed either.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Buffin

I hope these layouts will feature in local model railway exhibitions (maybe after they've been worked up a bit). Hopefully that might draw in people new to the hobby.

RailGooner

Quote from: Philip. on October 20, 2018, 01:30:15 PM
A bit hit and miss for me last night and the Steampunks did nothing for me at all. The show seemed too rushed and didn't hold my attention like last weeks.

The right team won though, and by a country mile.

Yep, if this had been Episode 1, I probably wouldn't have made it beyond the 1st ad break.

Newportnobby

If the contestants can't be a little serious then are we meant to take this as anything but dumbed down? Why have a team where only one person (Laurie) is a railway modeller who has to tell/show how to do everything? The right team won but why have a name 'Basingstoke Bodgers'? I did like the 00/N lookalikes and thought the N ran better then the 00 :P I liked the Cleopatra's Needle and igloo made from the plunger, thought the bouncy castle made from the sponge was genius and admit to sniggering at 'Plungerbird 1' but I am really starting to wonder why I watch this programme.
Probably in the forlorn hope it will improve.

silly moo

It seems as though all the teams spend quite a bit of time laying track and ballasting neither of which provide riveting watching.

Most of the time not much of this is shown. If I was in charge I'd give them their supplied baseboards and an extra pre programme day just for tracklaying.

Then the actual programme could show all the scenic aspects of the build. They might even finish to a reasonable standard.

Bob Tidbury

I have to admit that after the first episode I nearly decided that was enough ,but In my opinion the third episode has got back to being more about Model railways and the Basingstoke team did have some reasonable scenery and the idea of the change of scale was a stroke of genius. as Newportnobby said why did they have another team that only had one person who had done any modelling ,to be honest I felt a bit sorry for Laurie as he had to first show someone what to do as well as try and do things himself and having seen one of his layouts at the Colchester show some of his things  although weird are rather clever.
Bob Tidbury

silly moo

Unfortunately a friend of mine had to be admitted to hospital on Saturday, I happened to mention to the ward sister that we were railway and model railway enthusiasts.

She said "Have you been watching that model railway programme on channel 5? My whole family love it"

Whatever we may say about it, it certainly seems to be a hit with the general public.

:NGaugersRule:

Chris Morris

Every team every week have achieved a scenic working model railway in three days. That's good work. Some of the layouts have been very good indeed considering the time constraints. I was very impressed with the steampunk layout. Early on I thought it was going to be a complete disaster but it turned out to be interesting  and looked surprisingly good.
The great thing is that the progamme shows people being creative and having fun. Long may it continue - well I hope there will be a second series at least.
Visitors to exhibitions will of course be expecting to see animations if they have seen the programme. Maybe something those of us with exhibition layouts should think about.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Train Waiting

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 20, 2018, 05:00:13 PM
I did like the 00/N lookalikes and thought the N ran better then the 00 :P

I managed to get an hour with the television set and viewed episode three.  The '00' 'Castle' appeared to be running with its rear coupled wheels derailed (but that was maybe our telly!).  The 'N' gauge trains ran very well and it was splendid to see British 'N' gauge featured on the programme.

Quote from: silly moo on October 22, 2018, 04:15:40 PM
Whatever we may say about it, it certainly seems to be a hit with the general public.

Wonderful!  Exactly what we need.

The 'Steampunk' thing is a bit of a mystery to me, though.  I read the article in a recent Railway Modeller and then saw this programme.  The team reminded me of the people I saw on the NYMR when the 'Whitby Gothic Weekend' was on.  At least, if I decide to become a 'Steampunk' I already have the goggles (Stadium MkVIIIs).  The other Forum motor-bicyclists will probably laugh, but I prefer these to a visor.

Anyway, I'm pleased the programme is on and will continue watching.  Hopefully, there will be a second series.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Bob Tidbury

Train Waiting I thought that the back wheels were of the track as well so both our teles couldn't have a bad picture , I wonder how many other people noticed it but didn't bother to mention it.
Bob Tidbury

Newportnobby

I, too, saw it cocking it's back leg as it went round the curve :D

The Q

There are several animations on the layouts at the https://wroxhamminiatureworlds.co.uk/ (which is in Hoveton Not Wroxham). I have several planned for my EM gauge layout but as yet had not thought of any for the N gauge Tiree layout other puffs of whisky flavoured smoke out of the distillery Chimney.

Steampunk  Laurie  put An interesting reply to his teams efforts here... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138126-great-model-railway-challenge-channel-5/page-37  ( post 906)

Bealman

The distillery chimney on my layout also puffs smoke, but is unfortunately Seuthe smoke oil flavoured  :(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

60156 Great Central

Main thing that I wondered was, how many of the Games Workshop figures count as a pre-build being a wargamer I know roughly how long those things take to build & paint!

Railwaygun

This is from the RMweb thread on this programme

I have seen all the moderated comments and out of 997, we are looking at just over 10. Those have included abuse in capital letters aimed at one of the teams (twice by one "contributor") followed by a threat to the admins, 3 repeats of one post and some for swearing.

The NGF is a haven of peace & tranquility by comparison!!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34