LNER coach green?

Started by Shiney Sheff, February 12, 2018, 08:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiney Sheff

Can anyone tell me what shade of green was used on the green and cream LNER tourist coaches. Ideally I would like to be able to get in in a spray can, ie, alternative vehicle colour.

Bob

Bealman

Not sure. It wasn't the same as the one on the locos, then?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Shiney Sheff

Quote from: Bealman on February 12, 2018, 08:50:05 PM
Not sure. It wasn't the same as the one on the locos, then?

In the pictures I have seen it looks a bit lighter to me, maybe  :hmmm:

martyn

Bob;

'Historic Carriage Drawings Vol 1' by Campling says that the coaches were 'engine green below the waist, cream above, roofs white, and underframe black'.

He also says that lettering and numbers was similar to standard style, but more elongated.

HTH

martyn

martyn

'LNER Carriages' by Harris also says that the lower panels were Locomotive green.

Harris also says that 'no class numerals were carried' and 'inner body ends were  black and the outer ends of the brake carriages were cream and green'.

Wheel centres were teak, and rims were white.

Individual coaches had 12" letters A, B, C, etc for identification; and early sets had set numbers on outer body ends.

from 1942 onward, they were supposed to be repainted in teak paint.

Martyn

Shiney Sheff

Thanks Martyn

That's a good result as I already have loco green, looks like I had better get building.  :D

PLD

Quote from: martyn on February 13, 2018, 06:09:28 PM
'Historic Carriage Drawings Vol 1' by Campling says that the coaches were 'engine green below the waist, cream above,
Is that Doncaster Loco Green or Darlington Loco Green...  ;)

As they couldn't get all the locos the same shade (before you take any weathering effects into account) I'd expect there would also be slight variations in the carriage colour also...

martyn

Paul;

I don't know where they were built, but if it was York, there could be a shade of York engine green..... :)

As you say, weathering, paint mix differences, and natural fade would make some variation quite natural anyway!

martyn

martyn

Joking apart, it would seem that the building programme was quite complicated, with York, Doncaster, and outside contractors all involved. Also, sets built for use in the North Eastern area had four seats removed in the brake vehicles, and the space used for beer storage!

The coaches were repanelled in steel after WW2 if the plywood deteriorated. The buffet cars tended be withdrawn from sets and used as individual vehicles, the last two-on the LMR-until 1967.

Martyn

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations