Large numbers of 2nd hand Dapol 45xx, M7 and Q1 locos for sale at KGB

Started by austinbob, September 17, 2016, 08:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

I am a frequent visitor to the KGB site looking for bargains.
Question? there seem to be loads of Dapol 45xx, M7 and Q1 locos for sale.
Does this mean there is a surplus of these locos or are there problems which make owners dump these locos.
I have an M7 which works fine for me. I also have a 45xx which is the worst loco I have ever bought even though its the 3rd one I've tried. Don't have a Q1, would like one but reviews I've seen are negative in terms of pulling power.

What are your thoughts??

:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Adam1701D

Not familiar with KGB, beyond the Soviet Union reference. Do you have a URL, please?
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

austinbob

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

I have a first run 45xx and it's a nice, smooth runner but won't haul more than, say, 4 coaches.
I can't speak for an M7 but here's a quick vid of one of my first generation Q1s pulling a fair few weathered Peco wagons. The first ones were not so good for slow running, though.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ardfgq0125zkjy/Southern%20Region%20steam%20on%20Kimbolted.MOV?dl=0

NeMo

Quote from: austinbob on September 17, 2016, 08:41:51 PM
What are your thoughts??

As you say, the 45xx prairie tank isn't famous for its slow-speed performance, but it's quite pretty to look at give its age. I've got one, and it'd be nice enough tootling about an oval layout, but is pretty poor if used on an end-to-end layout where you want to do some shunting and whatnot.

I'd personally not spend more than £40 on either the 45xx or the M7. I don't think Dapol really turned out decent tank engines until they got to the Terrier and Pannier tanks. Even the 14xx, while a step up from the 45xx in many ways, still prefers to run fast rather than slow, and its haulage is mediocre, at best. I picked up an unboxed 14xx for £35 at the St Albans show, and I think that's about what it's worth.

Given you can get the excellent Dapol Pannier for around £60, the logic of spending £40-50 on secondhand things like the Farish 'general purpose' tank or Dapol M7 is lost to me, I'm afraid. Unless you really needed those particular locomotives, of course!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

bridgiesimon

er, not very cheap, Hattons (and others I am sure) still have stock of the last batch of M7 tanks and at a lower price brand new than these described as pre-owned!

best wishes
Simon

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%