Starter Kits for kids? POLL

Started by Richard G Dallimore, January 01, 2012, 04:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard G Dallimore

Hi I have had an idea to do a complete kit, my first has failed for now as it was a standard building kit to be launched at the end of Janurary. But having discussed this with my better half we have come up with this idea.
A basic wagon, unpainted
tubs of paint
brush
transfers - probably a genuin livery and a load of numbers and letters to creat your own livery.

Would this if sold on my trade stand encourage children to conside modelling and more important N gauge?

Over to you..
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

Oldman

I would have said maybe: Think it would be dependant on several factors.
1)  Price
2) Type of wagon
3) Health and Safety ( Paints - i know stuff like Railmatch is Toxic due to the Lead in the paint.)
4) What potential Age group would you be aiming for?

Just my thoughts.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Richard G Dallimore

All thoughts are good
maybe the 8+
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

davieb

hi richard  :wave:

i would have thought it could go someway to encourage kids (both small and the big kids amongst us) to have a go at  :NGAUGE:

just one thought are you thinking of also selling the kits seperate otherwise they could end up with loads of paint, brushes, etc
with nothing to do with them

i also agree with Oldman's comments on price, etc

hope it all works out for you

dave  :thumbsup:

Mustermark

It's a tough question though and I have no doubt that quite a few kids would like a wagon kit.

I would think on balance that it is more likely to be the loco that would switch kids on rather than a wagon. I would also guess that livery etc would appeal to someone already into the hobby.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

brbluewill

anything that gets kids involved is a good idea in my eyes :thumbsup: if my father had never got me a oo class 58 set many years ago for christmas i probably would never have the interest i do now.if you go for this i will take two please :thumbsup:
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

upnick

Definatley worth trying  :thumbsup:   ...........  of course  after costing the items have a  standard price &  allow kids to choose  paint colours  from  as range  &  even kits  if possble

Pengi

Don't think that kids are the right market for this or that it will tempt them to N gauge. These are my reasons:

Kids will want to see the wagon being pulled by a train on the track - so they will need a starter set first.
Kids have been brought up in the modern era so would probably be looking for something that they recognise - like a Pendolino or Tornado.

The truck idea may be of interest to kids already have an N gauge set.

As a suggestion, how about making a clip-together Annie or Clarabel or a Troublesome truck. Or the truck idea could be marketed at existing N gauge users who are nervous about making a model from scratch.

But this is only my opinion, you will need to find out what the kids want and what they are buying in OO gauge now.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Newportnobby

Quote from: Pendy on January 01, 2012, 06:22:03 PM

As a suggestion, how about making a clip-together Annie or Clarabel or a Troublesome truck. Or the truck idea could be marketed at existing N gauge users who are nervous about making a model from scratch.

Before I got to Pendy's post I was thinking (a) this 58 year old kid would be interested in what you're thinking of doing and (b) if it was a clip together Thomas the Tank series type truck plus detailing, demand might be higher.
However, I too am doubtful kids will actually go for a truck unless they have the wherewithal to site it/pull it.

poliss

It all depends. Not all of them are into playstations etc. Some kids like building kits. I was just on the Airfix Facebook page and there's a youngster building a Canberra, not something he's likely to have seen.

I think the licensing cost for the Thomas range would be rather high and the rights holders are well known for litigating against unlicensed use of their brand.

polo2k

I suppose to a certain extent the accuracy (face, name etc) are secondary to a blue 060 tank that 'looks' right.

What about a small range. the wagon kits forming a part of it. you could then offer a generic chassis (like a kato tram chassis) then several interchangeable bodies, plus static chassis for locos not in use.

the range could include a sound box for that extra dimention.

You could base it on the Kato track so that its competitive with the scalextric crowd and can be set up on a table top after sunday dinner.
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

rg1

I think that a standard kit cheaper (but of similar quality) aimed in general at the N gauge market would be a far better option.

After all, everyone likes a bargain especially in the current climate.
The pen is mightier than the sword (and easier to write with!)

polo2k

what about polyurathane foam moulded bodies (when cast in a mould you would get a smooth skin for painting) then a simple chassis like the peco ones
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

EtchedPixels

Shouldn't you ask the kids not us  8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Mustermark

Poliss has a good point that not all kids build what they know. When I was a kid I built WWII aircraft and had steam trains, none of which I had ever seen.   Many would prefer modern though.

But the main problem for me is that to introduce kids to the hobby, they will want the loco first (wagons later).  The Farish starter set with the 0-6-0 Pannier got one of my boys into N gauge.  I think the essence of the hobby at the start is the excitement of seeing the engine move on the track (and probably most of us don't ever lose that).

So I think I have to agree with Pendy...

Quote from: Pendy on January 01, 2012, 06:22:03 PM

Don't think that kids are the right market for this or that it will tempt them to N gauge. These are my reasons:

Kids will want to see the wagon being pulled by a train on the track - so they will need a starter set first.

The truck idea may be of interest to kids already have an N gauge set.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations