New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol's new forum "Dapol Digest"  (Read 5346 times)

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Dapol's new forum "Dapol Digest"
« on: June 15, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »
I haven't seen this posted yet: https://digest.dapol.co.uk/
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Thorpe Parva

• N Gauge Society Number: 21786
    • Awards
Re: Dapol's new forum "Dapol Digest"
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 12:26:08 PM »
New to me. Just signed up.

Offline Graham Walters

• N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 01:02:35 PM »
Looks like it's running VB5

Not the best platform in the world got an error already

Notice: Error: Could not load template /var/www/vhosts/dapol.co.uk/httpdocs/catalog/view/theme/default/template/information/news.tpl! in /var/www/vhosts/dapol.co.uk/httpdocs/vqmod/vqcache/vq2-system_engine_controller.php on line 90
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

You can visit us Tues - Fri 11am - 5:00pm Thurs Late Night until 10:00pm  Sat 9am - 5:00pm
Unit 404, The Commercial Centre. Picket Piece. Andover SP11 6RU

Offline Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 01:20:04 PM »
Just signed up :thumbsup:
Diane Tape

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 01:26:21 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how this forum develops. I think it can go two ways:
  • It becomes the best place for Dapol and the modelling community to discuss things. Dapol can listen to feedback, share updates on items in development, promote new items upon release, and get ideas for new products.
  • Most of the contributions from modellers are complaints, and Dapol invest very little themselves beyond copying-and-pasting press releases, so the whole thing becomes a bit of a embarrassment.
Dapol do seem willing to try social media (something Bachmann seem more leery of) but their track record with things like Dapol TV and Ask Dapol Dave do suggest they sometimes run out of steam after a while...

Cheers, NeMo

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 02:11:42 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how this forum develops. I think it can go two ways:
  • It becomes the best place for Dapol and the modelling community to discuss things. Dapol can listen to feedback, share updates on items in development, promote new items upon release, and get ideas for new products.
  • Most of the contributions from modellers are complaints, and Dapol invest very little themselves beyond copying-and-pasting press releases, so the whole thing becomes a bit of a embarrassment.

Or:

3. the server's motherboard burns out and the lights on the front panel stop working and they have to send it off to DCC Supplies for warranty repairs.

But seriously, I hope it develops into a useful communication tool.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 02:25:08 PM »
I think the posting by NeMo is about spot on.

There is undoubtedly a fair bit of concern with certain aspects of Dapol design and performance.
This Dapol digest could be just the thing to engage some of their customers, past, present and potential.

Let's hope it doesn't fall by the wayside, or that time shows it to be a purely cosmetic venture.

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »
A good idea, but Dapol seem to have shot themselves in the foot already.

I looked at the Class 59 thread and whilst it was good to see progress and continued commitment to the project, the stage the loco has reached (still CAD, pre-tooling) is at direct odds with the "late 2016" estimate they recently gave.

Oh well, can't afford one anyway, so more saving time.

Skyline2uk

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 03:59:45 PM »
remember to be well 'oiled' before posting  :laugh:

It'll be nice to complain direct !

Offline Graham Walters

• N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »
I think the posting by NeMo is about spot on.

There is undoubtedly a fair bit of concern with certain aspects of Dapol design and performance.
This Dapol digest could be just the thing to engage some of their customers, past, present and potential.

Let's hope it doesn't fall by the wayside, or that time shows it to be a purely cosmetic venture.

They have gone for an "off the shelf platform" which is fairly easy to maintain.

I think a lot will depend on whether or not it becomes a sounding board for ideas, or a pit for them to dump all the customers concerns in, instead of dealing with them over the telephone, which seems to be the way a lot of companies not just in the model rail world are going.

They may also be trying to attract more direct sales of their products, having a forum with a shop attached is good for getting noticed on the internet.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

You can visit us Tues - Fri 11am - 5:00pm Thurs Late Night until 10:00pm  Sat 9am - 5:00pm
Unit 404, The Commercial Centre. Picket Piece. Andover SP11 6RU

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 04:20:09 PM »
From past experience Dapol do not take criticism well. I just hope they are willing to put the effort into this venture so that we can obtain some technical advice without being fobbed off onto DCC Supplies, some more accurate information about release dates rather than the 'Jackanory' data given out at present and maybe some idea (or requests for) future releases.
Personally I think they're in for a bumpy ride initially. I wonder who the Mods are? :hmmm:

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 06:32:32 PM »

Dapol do seem willing to try social media (something Bachmann seem more leery of) but their track record with things like Dapol TV and Ask Dapol Dave do suggest they sometimes run out of steam after a while...

Cheers, NeMo

Maybe because I'd left? Lol
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 06:47:41 PM »

Cheers, NeMo

:laughabovepost:
Yeah - that cardboard cut out replacement wasn't very talkative ;D

Offline NeMo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 07:04:36 PM »
Possibly! But I do think that way DJM and Revolution, to name but two, engage with the hobbyists is something new and potentially essential.

If the hobby is going to expand beyond "old men reminiscing about the steam era" and start embracing younger modellers, it needs to become more of a discussion. By that I mean that manufacturers can't just announce stuff and hope people will welcome what's delivered two years later. Just look at how much better the Dapol D6300s and 'Westerns' were thanks to the two-way discussion, and it certainly looks as if the Pendolino is going to profit from the same hobbyist (marketplace!) input.

I'm a big Dapol fan, and really hope that this forum develops into something positive for them, and in turn, for us as well.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline acko22

• Advertiser
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 07:30:21 PM »
I think Nemo has hit the nail on the head!

While it may be a pain for companies to change how they operate but I think its essential, for younger modellers (just to clear up what are we classing as young?  :worried: ) I know the approach Revolution has taken has drawn me in more than say Farish just announcing stuff!
More and more people are interactive now so companies need to adapt to these new ideas, plus lets be honest there are lots of models we all want and not just kettles steam engines.  :P

I know one of the topics is always price rises and while some are inevitable as always, but this may be reduced a little if the likes of Dapol can use forum and social media to ensure they produce models that will sell for certain instead of those that end up been duff and not getting the sales they hoped for!

Plus it may encourage some more modern stuff to appear, as we get younger modellers involved!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:32:35 PM by acko22 »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here