So where are the 70s/80s cars?

Started by NeMo, April 02, 2016, 06:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeMo

Anyone know why Oxford or for that matter anyone else seem not to produce any 70s/80s cars in N scale? Are Oxford right to think Daimlers and ice cream vans will sell better than Cortinas, Capris and Cavaliers?

How do the rest of you get around this problem when populating the roads on your layouts?

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

joe cassidy

How about a layout in the middle of nowhere like Stoke Bank ?

Best regards,

Joe Cassidy

NeMo

Quote from: joe cassidy on April 02, 2016, 06:58:19 PM
How about a layout in the middle of nowhere like Stoke Bank ?

One option, certainly!  :laughabovepost:

Or else somewhere that's having a vintage car rally!

Cheers, NeMo

Derwentbob

The Model  Scene car pack contains a Capri, a Porsche 911 and an Audi 100, all suitable for mid 70s onwards. They need a bit of fettling and a coat of paint but they look great with a bit of care.

Yet_Another

I think Oxford are bringing out a bronze mk3 cortina - someone is, anyway. It's on my list :thumbsup:
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

gc4946

My 70s/80s layout, Fisherlea, has very few cars so far.

New cars were still expensive, relative to wages, to buy in the 70s so I included some models of 60s cars which are available through Oxford Diecast and Scenecraft.

Another source of cars - albeit to 1:160 scale, is the German manufacturer, Wiking, they have some 70s cars, mostly German makes, but I only bought a few because there weren't too many foreign-made cars on the roads here then.

Some 70s design Opel model cars (Opel's the German brand of General Motors, known as Vauxhall over here), are available if you are prepared to overlook the fact they're left hand drive.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

woodbury22uk

Quote from: NeMo on April 02, 2016, 06:49:36 PM
Anyone know why Oxford or for that matter anyone else seem not to produce any 70s/80s cars in N scale? Are Oxford right to think Daimlers and ice cream vans will sell better than Cortinas, Capris and Cavaliers?

How do the rest of you get around this problem when populating the roads on your layouts?

Cheers, NeMo

I think they are waiting for someone to make a Motorail Carflat or an RTR cartic or a British gauge SNAV (1/160 versions already available).

http://mftrain.com/en/vagones-portacoches-s4
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Cooper

gc4946

Quote from: gc4946 on April 02, 2016, 07:16:21 PM
My 70s/80s layout, Fisherlea, has very few cars so far.

New cars were still expensive, relative to wages, to buy in the 70s so I included some models of 60s cars which are available through Oxford Diecast and Scenecraft.

Another source of cars - albeit to 1:160 scale, is the German manufacturer, Wiking, they have some 70s cars, mostly German makes, but I only bought a few because there weren't too many foreign-made cars on the roads here then.

Some 70s design Opel model cars (Opel's the German brand of General Motors, known as Vauxhall over here), are available if you are prepared to overlook the fact they're left hand drive.

This is my 70s/80s car collection:

From top to bottom:
Four Scenecraft resin cars;
Three Model Scene cars;
Four Wiking cars;
One Eko (Spanish) car

At one time I owned a lot more Model Scene cars because they were bought as cheap job lots, however realised that there weren't many Audis, Porsches or Capris on the roads even in the 70s and 80s so thinned these down to one of each make!
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

johnlambert

Some Shapeways 3D printed cars suitable for the 1970s or '80s (work in progress).  Not cheap but there is a good selection and they come in 1:148 scale.

In plastic filler primer...

...then in Tamiya model primer

With a blue DMU

NeMo

Quote from: johnlambert on April 02, 2016, 08:17:25 PM
Some Shapeways 3D printed cars suitable for the 1970s or '80s (work in progress).  Not cheap but there is a good selection and they come in 1:148 scale.

These look great, and your modelmaking is fantastic. But you're right -- not cheap! Seem to be 2-3 times the cost of the Oxford ones, and unpainted and unglazed to boot. So probably not an option for me. Not the cost so much as the fact I'm unlikely to do them justice.

Cheers, NeMo

johnlambert

Quote from: NeMo on April 02, 2016, 08:35:21 PM
Quote from: johnlambert on April 02, 2016, 08:17:25 PM

These look great, and your modelmaking is fantastic. But you're right -- not cheap! Seem to be 2-3 times the cost of the Oxford ones, and unpainted and unglazed to boot. So probably not an option for me. Not the cost so much as the fact I'm unlikely to do them justice.

Cheers, NeMo

Thanks for the compliment on my model making.  The cars are quite fiddly, painting isn't too bad (Halfords aerosol cans for the primer) but you need to be careful and use fine abrasive paper (800 or 1200 wet and dry) when rubbing down between coats. 

I'm lucky that I enjoy building stuff like this.

The Cuckoo

Graham Farish did a Capri a few years ago.

379-908 Graham Farish Car - Capri

javlinfaw7

R Parker do three nice transits short and long wheel base petrol models and a deisel ambulance

Rabbitaway

There are some Tomytec ones that can be used

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations