Derailing on points

Started by Biggy, March 29, 2016, 01:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggy

Hi
I have recently bought a Dapol 45xx second hand  it runs lovely. There is just one problem. I use code 80 flexitrack  with medium radius points. When set for straight ahead she is fine but if set to the left or right turn (depending on its a rh or lh point) then the leading wheels or if in reverse the trailing wheels either stick on the frog or derail.
I use code 80 because I run a lot of older locos and rolling stock. I have tried relaying the track to ensure it is level etc.
None of my other locos or coaches have this problem.
I had thought of trying adding some weight to the wheels will that work?
Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Thanks
Not sure its supposed to do that

ScottyStitch

First port of call, I think, would be to check the back-to-back distances of the offending wheels. It sounds like they could be out of gauge?

PLD

As you have confirmed that it is only this one loco that is affected, we can be fairly confident that issue is with the loco not the track.

As per Scotty's suggestion check the back-to-back. If it is the pony trucks that are most affected, it could also be that they are either too loose or too tight.

Extra weight should not be necessary...

Newportnobby

Quote from: Biggy on March 29, 2016, 01:56:14 PM

I use code 80 because I run a lot of older locos and rolling stock.

I've heard this before and can never understand it. I replaced all my code 80 with code 55 and run everything from old Minitrix, Poole Farish, Chinese Falish, Dapol and Peco with no problems at all ???

Toneeze

:hellosign: I have the very same problem,as with the 9fs the pony truck tries to go straight on, so I run my Dapol locos tender first. I`m going to try and put a spring from a coupling on top of the pony truck just to steady it, it won`t be an easy fit but maybe worth a go.  :hmmm:

Biggy

Thanks guys

Quote from: PLD on March 29, 2016, 02:54:20 PM
it could also be that they are either too loose or too tight.

They are very loose. I there a way to tighten them?

Quote from: ScottyStitch on March 29, 2016, 02:21:52 PM
It sounds like they could be out of gauge?

The measurement is 8mm using my steel rule shouldn't it be 9mm?  Scuds my ignorance also how do you adjust them?

Railwaygun

Quote from: Toneeze on March 29, 2016, 04:31:19 PM
:hellosign: I have the very same problem,as with the 9fs the pony truck tries to go straight on, so I run my Dapol locos tender first. I`m going to try and put a spring from a coupling on top of the pony truck just to steady it, it won`t be an easy fit but maybe worth a go.  :hmmm:

a small square of lead sheet stuck on the top (whitetack) works well
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Biggy

Hi Nobby,

Quote from: newportnobby on March 29, 2016, 03:39:43 PM
Quote from: Biggy on March 29, 2016, 01:56:14 PM

I use code 80 because I run a lot of older locos and rolling stock.

I've heard this before and can never understand it. I replaced all my code 80 with code 55 and run everything from old Minitrix, Poole Farish, Chinese Falish, Dapol and Peco with no problems at all ???
Quote from: newportnobby

That's interesting I don't want to change all my track  at this stage but I will be starting a new layout this year so may use code 55 for that

Newportnobby

The only 'much reported' issue I am aware of is pizza cutter wheels and Kato #4 points. Anything else I would have to put down to either track laying or a specific problem with a loco.
Peco points can be somewhat 'lumpy' so it is important they are fixed down on the level.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations