can you over weather?

Started by MrDavidCallan, November 27, 2015, 09:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrDavidCallan

Attacked my layout with the airbrush this evening.Started out patching up some small areas of track that was lifted and relaid.Wound up giving most of the layout a dusting of grime.Similarly my locos almost
exception get weathered.Problem is pristine doesn't look right parked next to them.Besides I like em dirty.Or maybe too many years spent modelling tanks.

Newportnobby

I think the simplistic answer to the thread title is "Yes", despite me being another who is not keen on pristine locos. Coaching stock was generally kept fairly clean and goods wagons were not.
Some folks on this forum are absolute marvels when it comes to weathering locos and stock so rather than me 'male chicken' (changed by forum) things up I'd rather ask them to do commissions for me :-[
Results I have had so far are way better/cheaper than the factory applied weathering, apart from the weathered Dapol class 22 which, to me, is first class.

Bealman

G'day from  Australia, MrDavidCallan, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Personally, I think that you can overdo things, but I'm no expert. To me, weathering is a black art (pun intended). Talking of experts, we have several members who know their stuff, and we have numerous threads on the subject. Here's one to get you started:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11276.0

I believe this is the fellow who does NewportNobby's commissions.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MrDavidCallan

Thanks bealman.True it is a fine line the only times I've had to clean off and re apply is when weathering a diesels roof usually when trying to cover up cosmetic damage on E bay bargains.

MrDavidCallan

Aah I didn't know that coaches were kept cleaner.I tend not to grime above the bottom of the doors and always run a little ink wash(games workshops ridiculously named Agrax earthshade)into recesses around doors,windows and panel lines.Cant help being a brush monkey.If our cats stayed still long enough I'd paint them 😁

Karhedron

Is it possible to weather too heavily?

Probably not.  :laughabovepost:
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

MrDavidCallan

MrDavidCallan

As a side note.With my OO gauge locos(haven't tried it with N)On loco buffers I'd apply a smidge of UHU and dab it.When dry it makes very effective grease.

railsquid

Here's an 'Orribly Oversized one which has been out for a roll in the mud: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311087048378

MrDavidCallan

Firefox

Passenger stock and locos, yes- I think goods probably not. Though I think the weathering applied lower down to represent wheel and brake dust etc looks more natural.

Plastering the whole lot although true to some prototype examples can ruin the detail on a nice loco.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Karhedron on November 27, 2015, 10:25:10 PM
Is it possible to weather too heavily?

Come on, Matthew. How many folks clean the outside of their shed? :D

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations