Which Camera do You Use?

Started by Mr Sprue, July 13, 2015, 02:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Sprue

Some great pictures get posted on the forum, :thumbsup: so just curious to what cameras are being used to take them?

Agrippa

I think the photographer is more important than the camera
(assuming they're not using box brownies), for model rail
photography lighting, composition and method of focus
are important for good results. Most cameras can give acceptable
photos though DSLRs are the most practical.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Geoff

I have a Nikon D7000 which I hardly use and am thinking about off loading it and buying plenty of N Gauge stock, I also have an Olympus PL3 which is small and ideal, I am trying to do Videos with it at the moment but yes Lighting is important with photography also depth of field.
Geoff

Dorsetmike

QuoteDSLRs are the most practical.

I beg to differ when it comes to photographing models, I would suggest a decent bridge camera is far better, the much shorter focal length gives a far greater depth of field, with a DSLR a head on or 3/4 view of a loco will have the chimney in focus and the cab just a blur, in a 3/4 view if you focus on the centre driver, you would get that sharp but the chimney and cab somewhat blurred; you may get a bit better result shooting from further away but you can't only the image too much else you start to lose detail.

Having said that there will be times when a DSLR can be used to good effect, mainly for close up detail of part of a loco using a Macro lens (some bridge cams also have a macro setting)

If you use very short focal length lenses on a DSLR then you start to get distortions where straight lines become curved, sometimes likened to a "fish eye" view

People that do macro photography of insects etc will take a number of shots starting at the head each being foccussed  a bit further back, they then use photo editing software to combine the images.

A DSLR  can be used for photographing layouts, but for close up detail shots again a bridge camera will do a better job.

Camera manufacturers often quote the focal length of bridge camera lenses as 35mm camera equivalents which can be misleading in some respects, it's based on the size of the sensor when compared to a 35mm (or full frame) camera.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Mr Sprue

Regarding bridge cameras Mike which brand / model would you choose?

Geoff

Quote from: Dorsetmike on July 13, 2015, 02:50:02 PM

A DSLR  can be used for photographing layouts, but for close up detail shots again a bridge camera will do a better job.

I beg to differ I also have a bridge camera I gave to my son and to be honest no contest with a DSLR that wins hands down.

but we all have our own opinions.
Geoff

Newportnobby

I have a Canon Power Shot SX510HS bridge camera that I'm still learning about :dunce:

red_death

Quote from: Dorsetmike on July 13, 2015, 02:50:02 PM

I beg to differ when it comes to photographing models, I would suggest a decent bridge camera is far better, the much shorter focal length gives a far greater depth of field,

That is a massive sweeping generalisation! If you don't know that depth of field is important (and how to maximise it on a camera) then I agree that a bridge camera on auto might give you better results, but I would still much rather have a DSLR and a little knowledge in how to use it!

Cheers, Mike

GroupC

Just about anything can be made to work given skill, imagination and creativity so I don't think there's a right or wrong answer - just use what works for you. If you're buying, get your hands on a few and see what suits you best. It's very subjective. If you're already using a camera, push its envelope and see what it can do. And challenge yourself too, technically and creatively.

If you admire others' work though, I think equipment is largely irrelevant - it's impossible to argue for or against the formats / brands favoured by Don McCullin / Tim Hetherington (RIP) / Simon Norfolk / Robert Capa (RIP) / James Nachtwey (google them if you don't know): all outstanding but all different in their own way/s. Is it important what sort of chisels Henry Moore used or what sort of brushes JMW Turner used?

Look at what they do, not what they do it with - if you admire Henry Moore but wouldn't give houseroom to an Alberto Giacometti, then investigate as much as you like but don't concentrate on the tools of the trade. It's what you do with them that counts... and don't risk becoming someone with all the gear and no idea.

For the record, I've owned and used many formats and brands including Mamiya, Sinar, Fuji, Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad and Kodak and they all produce the goods if you know what you're doing. Popular convention states you wouldn't necessarily use a 10x8 studio camera at Silverstone, and you wouldn't necessarily use a 1930's folding camera on a modern press shoot but both can be done, and if you know what you're doing you'll stand out from the crowd.

jonclox

Quote from: newportnobby on July 13, 2015, 03:52:09 PM
I have a Canon Power Shot SX510HS bridge camera that I'm still learning about :dunce:
The bridge camera seems to be favoured but as far as Im concerened if it takes a reasonable shot then its all I ask of it.
My hobby is  :ngauge: not photography so in a way `cheap and cheerful` will allow me more more to spend actually on :ngauge:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Basinga

I just use the camera built into my phone. But as with all digital cameras, if you're taking close photos of your models and want to capture all those little details, use the Macro focus mode (usually indicated by a flower symbol) or it'll just come out all blurry...

Agrippa

PS   I'm making a pinhole attachment for my dslr so I can
soft fuzzy pix....
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

GroupC

Quote from: Agrippa on July 13, 2015, 04:34:48 PM
PS   I'm making a pinhole attachment for my dslr so I can
soft fuzzy pix....

Good luck, I did that with mine... interesting! Good fun.

Ditape

All the pictures in my Snoozebury thread were taken with a Canon EOS 7000 DSLR
Diane Tape

petercharlesfagg

Mine is a cheap, end of line, Samsung PL10 compact but it suits my purpose!

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations