!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.  (Read 75262 times)

Offline honestjudge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16285
    • Awards
Re: Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.
« Reply #390 on: August 19, 2019, 01:09:45 PM »
For me it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. At the time I was a regular at a shop in North London, past, present toys in Palmer's Green.
The owner was trying to get rid of a job lot of n gauge stuff that someone had brought into his shop. I got the 2 large boxes for 40.
It was all Fleischman. 2x motorized turntables, 20 x flexible lengths, boxes of straights and curves, lots of points with motors and lots of various other accessories which I still haven't got around to using. It was a mother of a bargain. But it all started with that.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #391 on: August 19, 2019, 01:18:26 PM »
That really was a bargain. The Fleischmann motorized turntables alone were worth far more and are excellent.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #392 on: August 19, 2019, 08:58:23 PM »
For me it was the Peco jubilee in 1971, with two minitrix BR(S) green coaches and six wagons by Peco and Grafar. I knew then what was quality N gauge and when I found a track plan in the RM in 1971 for a dumbbell layout which I combined with a track plan by Cyril J Freezer called In Disguise in the Peco Track Plans book from 1970 I was away. 96 x 2 in N and I still like track EVERYWHERE. Urban is my preference and I now have a pastiche of Ramsgate, Fratton, Eastleigh, and Southampton plus other SR/WR snippets.
But only now do I feel confident to sell inappropriate locos to be loyal to my region. And I have only kept the jubilee from my early acquisitions.
I was good and never did Lima apart from the CCT and Siphon G. Oh and BGs for my minitrix rakes.

Bob

Offline Dave3054

• Awards
« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2019, 10:54:23 PM »
What a good question. I agree with all the reasons posted so far.
Having built a garden railway in 00 and in SM32, I needed a winter project to build indoors. Having got permission from domestic management and a 4' x 2' size allowed. That was last November and I am still building. I love N gauge both in the detail of the rolling stock and the detail the modeller can put into the landscape.
Totally hooked.

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #394 on: September 18, 2019, 11:55:03 PM »
I had OO as a child, finally selling it all off to raise money to replace my ZX Spectrum with a QL in my teens. Once I had my own house I was tempted to have another layout, but time, money and space delayed things. In my 30s, I started buying odds and ends, second-hand and partly because of being able to fit more in, partly because I had memories of seeing and being interested in N-gauge in the '70s, it was N-gauge that I bought. Now in my 50s, it is only in recent years that I have had the space - when my M-I-L died, we needed somewhere to store things until my wife was ready to sort through them and a shed was cheaper than self-storage. Planning ahead with the shed gained me a 12'x 10' space. Time and money are still in short supply and holding thing up!

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #395 on: September 19, 2019, 03:31:43 AM »
My first proper train set was a Hornby OO gauge Flying Scotsman set with 3 Thompson coaches. I continued with OO gauge but bought a Grafar Austerity Tank set in my early 20s. I did what most would do and realised that so much more could be achieved in N Gauge. However, I was put off by a lot of the Grafar models. I always thought that, although the diesels looked pretty good the steamers were let down by those tiny pony-truck wheels with large shiny flanges which spoiled otherwise good models. Seems things have improved greatly since Bachmann has taken over.

I always admired the Continental and American N gauge models and have collected a few of each plus some 1970s era UK blue diesels which I hope to incorporate into a layout based on a fictitious private railway. This is currently being planned and I hope to start a construction thread when I actually get something concrete (which does make for exceptionally heavy baseboards) into reality. Cornwall will be the location and I am surveying Google Earth for possible places where I could site such a railway. This should be fun!
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Ted

• N Gauge Society Number: 28852
  • Needs. More. Grime.
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #396 on: October 02, 2019, 02:38:37 PM »
My first proper train set was a Hornby OO gauge Flying Scotsman set with 3 Thompson coaches.

Snap!

My father mounted it on the back of an old door for Christmas, I was very, very pleased.

0-300mph in the flick of a dial. Don't judge, I was 5 years old. A very fortunate 5 years old I might say!

However, a few years later I visited a friend of my father's friend, who had a N in his loft. The amount of stuff and things going on (thanks to the scale) blew my mind.

This was late 80's.

I think I was perhaps 7 years of age at the time. Anyway, I still remember it.

I went home. I planned my layout and buildings, and everything... until my parents told me, no. It's far too expensive.

Roll on 25 or so years and I can now afford it and I'm addicted to buying 80-90's diesels... and throwing sound chips at them.  :D

*whilst working on my second layout after the first didn't go too well

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #397 on: October 02, 2019, 02:45:47 PM »
Go for it Ted! :D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline AdrianC

• Awards
« Reply #398 on: October 02, 2019, 03:30:52 PM »
We started on OO when my Dad built a large layout in the loft, but although it ran it never got beyond track and platforms (and a huge amount of kit buildings) but no scenery. I got in to N because I liked the idea of the smaller scale, started with a Lima 31 and 4 coaches and it grew from there. When Farish started bringing out diesels that sealed it for me.

I never managed a complete layout, but then work, family, life in general got in the way and I only started looking at it again when I took my eldest to a local exhibition on a bit of a whim when he was about 3 years old. He's now 10 and has a small collection of his own.

Since my Dad passed away, I've sold all the OO stock (the last went a few weeks ago) which has helped fund the recent return to the hobby but I really need to crack on and build a proper layout.....

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #399 on: October 02, 2019, 05:06:39 PM »
We started on OO when my Dad built a large layout in the loft, but although it ran it never got beyond track and platforms (and a huge amount of kit buildings) but no scenery. I got in to N because I liked the idea of the smaller scale, started with a Lima 31 and 4 coaches and it grew from there. When Farish started bringing out diesels that sealed it for me.

I never managed a complete layout, but then work, family, life in general got in the way and I only started looking at it again when I took my eldest to a local exhibition on a bit of a whim when he was about 3 years old. He's now 10 and has a small collection of his own.

Since my Dad passed away, I've sold all the OO stock (the last went a few weeks ago) which has helped fund the recent return to the hobby but I really need to crack on and build a proper layout.....

And, if you do, please share your progress with us here! :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here