I still hate computers.

Started by N Gauge Bob, January 20, 2015, 11:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N Gauge Bob

Background. This computer needs to run for another year or so before I can buy a replacement PC. It will then be used for the storage and use of nothing but the new layout, my stock, and any rubbish that relates to my modelling, and downloaded videos.

The problem at the moment is that I cannot get the graphics from on line videos such as You Tube to run without jerking and stalling all the time. I have recently installed an AVG computer maintenance programme which is superb. It tells me my graphics card need replacing as it cannot cope with the system.  I was running on XP but did a free Microsoft upgrade to Vista. The graphics is registertng a score of just 1.9

The computer is an Advent 3214 runing AMD2600 Athlon XP Processor, but Microsoft said it could handle Vista.
I am running Virgin at 50meg but about to upgrade to 100meg for our main computer. We are currently receiving up to 70meg in this area.

The graphics card is a Radeon 9000 series
1024-9197-00-SA
128m DDR TVO.
It has D type connector on the back.

What I need is an upgraded better graphics board but I don't want to spend silly money. I look on eBay and see cards from £2 to £900. I have no idea what the hell looking at...to me they are just boards.

Has anyone got a suitable graphics card they would be willing to sell for a few quid, or could anyone point me in the direction of what I need?

Cheers folks
Bob

Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

MikeDunn

Give Novatech a call & explain ... they should be able to recommend a range of cards between £20 & £50 that will do you; maybe even less ...

Bealman

Please don't take this post in the wrong light, but I'm wondering why your existing machine needs to go another year before updating?

As far as checking out this forum goes, I mostly use mobile devices, but am aware that a home machine in the home office or computer room is important.

My point, is, I guess, that powerful laptops are now cheap, and whilst I don't know about the situation in the UK,  discount outlets here sell PC towers for next to nowt.

So I wonder why you have to wait a year or so before updating. Okay,  it's a pain transferring files, etc., but that'll have to be done either a year from now or just now.

Curious,  more than anything else!

George  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

rhysapthomas

The ATI 9000 was a decent card in its day should be able to cope with a Utube video

Your PC will only take AGP graphic cards which are now obsolete  though it should be possible to get a S/H one off ebay

Your upgrade to Vista may have been a mistake.  I would check the video card drivers and make sure the latest available for vista is installed

Geoff

Another thought, does the graphics card have its own fan and if so is it still working and that might be the problem, easy enough to change the fan on graphics cards, or if it does not have a fan are the cooling fins clear of any dust etc it just might need a dusting down.
Geoff

railsquid

Quote from: Geoff on January 20, 2015, 01:18:04 PM
Another thought, does the graphics card have its own fan and if so is it still working and that might be the problem, easy enough to change the fan on graphics cards, or if it does not have a fan are the cooling fins clear of any dust etc it just might need a dusting down.

This is indeed true. I write as someone who works with computers for a living (everything from putting them together from parts to writing the arcane code which powers the code which powers forums like this), and for the record computers suck. On the plus side the hardware is pretty resilient, provided you never drop hard disks onto an unyielding surface (been there done that when hard disks cost actual money), and I write as someone who has never payed much heed to the dire warnings about static electricity when handling parts.

You should be able to get spray cans from somewhere (no idea where in the UK) which blast air into nooks and crannies, removing accumulated dust and other items. Tip: do not do this in the vicinity of valued N-gauge stock.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: N Gauge Bob on January 20, 2015, 11:41:02 AMWe are currently receiving up to 70meg in this area.
Is your computer/local link confirming this 70meg ? Or is it a generalised 'area' statement from Virgin.
If you download the YT and replay from disc does it still stall ?

keithfre

I too wonder if it was a good idea to down(!)grade from XP to Vista. My experience (going back to before the PC and DOS) is that, as fast as the manufacturers speed up the hardware, Microsoft adds bloat to new Windows versions which negates the speed advantage. My old XP machine runs faster than the much newer machine I bought for my wife, which came with Windows 7 installed.

I have the problem you describe on an old Netbook, so I use the Firefox add-on DownloadHelper to download youtubes as flv files and play them back in a media player.

MikeDunn

To my mind, Vista gets an undeserved level of criticism, basically because a) they established a new access control mechanism that users generally don't understand (among many other new things), and b) it's an even-number release ...  (I understand that My Little Pony has a similar problem in reverse (ie odd number series) !!!  Amazing what's on the 'net ...  ::))

Geoff

Quote from: MikeDunn on January 20, 2015, 02:13:32 PM
To my mind, Vista gets an undeserved level of criticism, basically because a) they established a new access control mechanism that users generally don't understand (among many other new things), and b) it's an even-number release ...  (I understand that My Little Pony has a similar problem in reverse (ie odd number series) !!!  Amazing what's on the 'net ...  ::))

Oh hec just wait for Windows 10.
Geoff

Dorsetmike

I would agree that Vista is not much good, I bought a new PC a few months ago and also upgraded a 7 year old Gateway with dual core Pentium which was running XP it now runs Windows 7 home premium 64 bit from this site, not just the licence scroll down a bit to the full thing £44.95,

http://itrevive.co.uk/windows-7-home-premium-license-key-download-link-for-windows-7.html?gclid=CI6DwbSTmcICFanMtAodjRgAeA

It only has on board Intel graphics, not a graphics card, never has a problem with the toob vids.

Ebuyer have some good deals on new PCs, this is same make and similar spec to my new one

http://www.ebuyer.com/662327-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7260-1019

If you have problems running older software, there is a free XP emulator that will run in Win 7
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: Bealman on January 20, 2015, 12:30:39 PM
Please don't take this post in the wrong light, but I'm wondering why your existing machine needs to go another year before updating?

As far as checking out this forum goes, I mostly use mobile devices, but am aware that a home machine in the home office or computer room is important.

My point, is, I guess, that powerful laptops are now cheap, and whilst I don't know about the situation in the UK,  discount outlets here sell PC towers for next to nowt.

So I wonder why you have to wait a year or so before updating. Okay,  it's a pain transferring files, etc., but that'll have to be done either a year from now or just now.

Curious,  more than anything else!

George  :beers:

Cant get on with laptops...just dont like them George.
Waiting a year as other expenses have to be dealt with first, like trying to keep the house from falling down  :)
Being a pensioner is not one of the most rewarding things in life.
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: rhysapthomas on January 20, 2015, 01:08:13 PM
The ATI 9000 was a decent card in its day should be able to cope with a Utube video

Your PC will only take AGP graphic cards which are now obsolete  though it should be possible to get a S/H one off ebay

Your upgrade to Vista may have been a mistake.  I would check the video card drivers and make sure the latest available for vista is installed

Drivers were deleted and re-downloaded.
Vista was used as XP no longer had Microsoft back up.
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: Geoff on January 20, 2015, 01:18:04 PM

No fan, just a very big heatsink, although there are two aux fans in the near vacinity.
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:

N Gauge Bob

Quote from: MalcolmAL on January 20, 2015, 01:45:57 PM
Quote from: N Gauge Bob on January 20, 2015, 11:41:02 AMWe are currently receiving up to 70meg in this area.
Is your computer/local link confirming this 70meg ? Or is it a generalised 'area' statement from Virgin.
If you download the YT and replay from disc does it still stall ?

Neighbour has Virgin and he is recording 70 regularly. Mine is on 50 and is constant on that.
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%