Ikea Trestle - Reviews

Started by 31374547, December 15, 2014, 12:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all,
I am considering utilising Ikea Trestles. Before a final decision is made, I would appreciate any feedback form those who currently use them.

Layout will be 10ft by 3ft - split into 2 x 5ft lengths. Planning on 3 x trestles. A modification will be made to the top shelf of the trestle to make it wider than the 2ft design.

Your feedback appreciated.

[smg id=19512]

Miek

I used these for my layout  a while ago. I made a separate self supporting base for my layout. I fastened plastic blocks (like you use for perpendicular joins in wooden flat pack furniture) to the trestle spaced so the frame slots on top of the trestle. It was not held fast to the trestles.
I found that the shape of the trestle was a bit limiting for storage as it is a kind of pyramid shape. I sold them as I don,t have a layout at the moment. I think next time I will build my own legs.
Good luck whatever you choose

Kipper

I have a pair of these, and find they will hold a fair amount of weight (very solid structure, with no wobble like flimsier plastic ones), but are also very heavy. One drawback is that they do not fold, hence their stability, I suppose, so storing means dismantling. If your layout is permanent, then no problem.  Also have locating holes in them, which stops the layout moving on the trestles.

They also sell these alternatives....slightly less functionality in that they are not height adjustable. They are cheaper though. I was leaning towards the first ones.

Disadvantages noted thanks Miek and Kipper. Thanks for your feedback. For me the layout will be permanent - although I would not discount exhibitions if the layout gets to that standard (I'm too early in the game to know what the thing will turn out like !).

Cheers

[smg id=19513]

Newportnobby

Might be a bit OTT but I purchased 3 of these babies. They come flat packed so you have to build them but it doesn't take long and the best bit is they're height adjustable and fold up. Search around for best prices as I paid about £21 each

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p83483?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=Ci1aXtnn&pcrid=46330025423&gclid=CPb13aOQyMICFdLItAodMTgAgQ

martyn

I used them under my 16' x 4' layout quite a few years ago, and they are still in service; there was a review in the 'Journal', I think, which suggested using them. The baseboard joints rest on the 'shelf', and there has been no problem.

An alternative, especially if you have a portable or semi-portable layout is a steel folding trestle available periodically from Lidl; they seem to appear two or three times a year as 'Decorators trestles' (I think); they are about half the cost of the IKEA ones, and fold up quite small. Main disadvantage is they are rather low, as purchased; I modified mine by using 2 x  10mm studding , lots of nuts and washers, and a piece of 3 x 1 timber for a new cross piece, and Lo! a fully adjustable easily erected folding portable base unit.

HTH

Martyn

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%