For those amongst us who remember:- "When I was a boy"!

Started by petercharlesfagg, November 09, 2014, 12:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveg

Acid Drop Spangles  :sick2: and aniseed balls!

PCF, you are a *bad* influence! Stirring up all these memories  ;)

Enjoying every one of 'em  :wave:

Dave G

silly moo

This topic is such fun  :claphappy:

Never mind cut out masks, my father made me a cut out Spitfire that came off the back of a cereal box.  :P

Talking of boxes, when I was at  junior school we did "box modelling" which was making things out of cardboard boxes brought from home, we made quite good models out of toilet rolls,cereal boxes etc coated with lashings of poster paint, my parents helped me make a paddle steamer.

port perran

Quote from: silly moo on November 18, 2014, 02:38:50 PM
This topic is such fun  :claphappy:

Never mind cut out masks, my father made me a cut out Spitfire that came off the back of a cereal box.  :P

Talking of boxes, when I was at  junior school we did "box modelling" which was making things out of cardboard boxes brought from home, we made quite good models out of toilet rolls,cereal boxes etc coated with lashings of poster paint, my parents helped me make a paddle steamer.
Sounds like a Blue Peter Project !
Whatever did happen to Val Singleton & Christopher Trace ??
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

silly moo

On a slightly more serious note, has anyone thought of writing down their memories for their children? You might think that you have lead an uneventful life but the world is changing so rapidly and we lived in such a different era that our experiences would (hopefully) be interesting to our children.

I have thought about writing down my life story so far but the only problem is that it hasn't all been happy so it would be quite an emotional experience. I hope I don't get run over by a bus before I get round to it.

Ditape

Ah! the good old days when Black Jacks were 4 for a old penny.
Diane Tape

steve836

Quote from: Ditape on November 18, 2014, 03:05:13 PM
Ah! the good old days when Black Jacks were 4 for a old penny.

And chips were 3d a bag,4d for a large one.
As an aside, a few years ago my mum sent me to get fish and chips for us both and gave me 50p. I looked at it and said "Queen Victoria's dead you know" Mum said "Yes dear I know" Sarcasm was wasted on her.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Malc

I remember chips at that price. We used to ask for scraps as well. The bits of batter that floated off the fish as they were frying. All fried in lard. Fish was a bob. When I stared drinking in the 60s, you could get a pint of exhibition for 1s 9d at the local club. A good night out with fish and chips on the way home for 10 bob. Plus you got to read yesterday's news for free.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

steve836

Don't remember price of beer bu remember when I had a motor bike petrol was 6s9d per gallon!

Oldun

Quote from: steve836 on November 18, 2014, 04:11:08 PM
Don't remember price of beer bu remember when I had a motor bike petrol was 6s9d per gallon!

I remember paying 3s9d for 2* petrol  :( Those where the days :thumbsup:

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on November 18, 2014, 02:13:49 PM
Talking of food. What happened to Five Boys Chocolate bars ?

It was produced, I believe, at the Frys Keynsham plant from 1902 to 1976, Martin.

Quote from: steve836 on November 18, 2014, 04:11:08 PM
Don't remember price of beer but remember when I had a motor bike petrol was 6s9d per gallon!

I still have my yellow and green ration book for petrol :-[

Malc

The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

daveg

Getting 5 Woodbines from the machine outside the village cobblers, on the way to scouts.

Can't remember how much they were but it was half the weekly 'subs' (5th Camborne troup- still have me beret) , which seemed fair to me!

Dave G

steve836

Quote from: newportnobby on November 18, 2014, 04:27:10 PM

It was produced, I believe, at the Frys Keynsham plant from 1902 to 1976, Martin.

!

Who was that chap on, I think, Radio Luxembourg who advertised that he had a system for the pools--- he came from" Keynsham nr.Bristol Spelt---- "

austinbob

Quote from: steve836 on November 18, 2014, 06:31:24 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on November 18, 2014, 04:27:10 PM

!

Who was that chap on, I think, Radio Luxembourg who advertised that he had a system for the pools--- he came from" Keynsham nr.Bristol Spelt---- "

Horace Batchelor was the man

I use to listen to Radio Luxembourg under the covers in bed and his name was always popping up

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Dorsetmike

QuoteAt the dance if there were no decent looking girls we used to have a competition seeing which of me and my mates would dance with the ugliest girl there.

In the RAF those outings were known as Grimmies, all put 5/- in the kitty and whoever finished up with the grimmest bird won, I recall one evening when one of the lads was given his prize he was surprised when the girl twigged and said "you won a grimmy?"  to which, being a bit sloshed, he replied "yes" to which she replied "Snap, so have I" evidently the local nurses hostel did the same; the two of them became a couple for some months.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations