For those amongst us who remember:- "When I was a boy"!

Started by petercharlesfagg, November 09, 2014, 12:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calnefoxile

Quote from: Bealman on November 18, 2014, 08:44:40 AM

Amazing the stuff that's coming up on this thread. We'll be hearing Deep Purple soon!

Bealman,

Well funny you should mention Deep Purple, because my claim to fame is that my dad used to work with Jon Lords dad, Reg, and my dad used to bring home white label Deep Purple albums for us to listen too, which Reg had given him. The albums would just be in the inner white sleeve with a hand written label in the centre, which would just say ' Deep Purple Album # (whatever it was)'.

Unfortunately he had to take them back, otherwise we'd have been sitting on a fortune  :'( :'( :'( :'(  Also I was too young at the time to appreciate their music, which I absolutely do now I'm older and more wiser  ;) ;)

I met Jon quite a few times when I used to 'help' my Dad at work during the school holidays, he'd turn up in his Rolls Royce to take his dad for lunch. Obviously Reg didn't have to work, but he just enjoyed it.

RIP Jon Lord 1941-2012.

Regards

Neal.

Bob Tidbury

Because my Mum was in and out of Hospital as I said before my sister and I ended up in a Childrens home in Banbury but we did go home for a month or two every so often I counted up all the schools I went to 9 schools in total so I never wore a school uniform and I was always picked on by the other kids and in those days there wasn't a real national curriculum so some things I learnt two or three times others I didn't do at all for instance what are Logarithms not a clue,that's my excuse for being so thick .one thing I do remember was winning 10 shillings at one school. in science we had one term learning about things at home and the teacher asked us how a two way switch worked  ie when you go up stairs and turn the light on then off at the top  but you can the turn it on again at the bottom of the stairs again . I went back to the home got some scrap paper and I worked it out then went to Woolworth at the weekend bought a packet of those brass paper clips and a bulb and bulb holder and a battery with the contacts on the top made a wall and steps out of cardboard and made a demo to show how it worked the teacher was so impressed that I had to go to the Headmaster and then show the whole school in assembly . My model was then put on display in a case in reception for ages . By the way I was only 8 years old at the time . Can you imagine kids today going into town at that age on their own  it wouldn't be safe .I was also trusted to go to town and pick up the staff wages from the bank some weeks ,in those days people were paid weekly in cash . I'll stop now before I bore everyone to tears.
Bob

Bealman

Quote from: Calnefoxile on November 18, 2014, 09:21:12 AM
Quote from: Bealman on November 18, 2014, 08:44:40 AM

Amazing the stuff that's coming up on this thread. We'll be hearing Deep Purple soon!

Bealman,

Well funny you should mention Deep Purple, because my claim to fame is that my dad used to work with Jon Lords dad, Reg, and my dad used to bring home white label Deep Purple albums for us to listen too, which Reg had given him. The albums would just be in the inner white sleeve with a hand written label in the centre, which would just say ' Deep Purple Album # (whatever it was)'.

Unfortunately he had to take them back, otherwise we'd have been sitting on a fortune  :'( :'( :'( :'(  Also I was too young at the time to appreciate their music, which I absolutely do now I'm older and more wiser  ;) ;)

I met Jon quite a few times when I used to 'help' my Dad at work during the school holidays, he'd turn up in his Rolls Royce to take his dad for lunch. Obviously Reg didn't have to work, but he just enjoyed it.

RIP Jon Lord 1941-2012.

Regards

Neal.
Amazing! How close are our brushes with fame, eh. However, I'm just as skint as ever!  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Michael Shillabeer

Toys in cereal packets and PG Tips cards reminds me of the plastic car kits given away by Jet petrol stations.

I believe they were quite accurate 4mm models.

Best regards
Michael

Malc

Remember the frozen Jubbly?  A tetrahedral delight of frozen orange juice. Tear a corner off and away you go.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

steve836

Quote from: Bealman on November 18, 2014, 09:07:33 AM
Ya know what? I've been in Australia for so long, and even with two trips back there in less than 12 months, I REALLY had to think about that!

Polo! Mints!

Over here they're a shirt!  :thumbsup:

Yes its a funny old world, as Bob Hope remarked" England & America are two countries divided by a common language". It seems the same applies to Oz. By the way I hear you buy Durex by the roll out there! :sorrysign:
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

colpatben

Quote from: steve836 on November 18, 2014, 10:45:38 AM
Quote from: Bealman on November 18, 2014, 09:07:33 AM
Ya know what? I've been in Australia for so long, and even with two trips back there in less than 12 months, I REALLY had to think about that!

Polo! Mints!

Over here they're a shirt!  :thumbsup:

Yes its a funny old world, as Bob Hope remarked" England & America are two countries divided by a common language". It seems the same applies to Oz. By the way I hear you buy Durex by the roll out there! :sorrysign:

Yes and they call Penguins (the biscuit) Tim Tams and dunk them in their hot tea/coffee.  :drool:
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Newportnobby

I reckon my parents must have been tightwads as I never di get to go on a school trip :(
We seemed to constantly move house between Wolverton and Northampton and, each time, it was either just before a trip or we got to the next house just after one :'(
It also didn't help that the relevant schools were on different exam boards so when we moved to Wolverton I was top of the class (until everyone else caught up) and when in Northampton I had so much catching up to do. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :-[ :P

What a great thread (thanks Peter) :thumbsup:

I'm just wondering which of us old farts will get brain fade and repeat something that's already been posted. I could well be in the running for this :laugh:.

Sadly missed - Royal Scot biscuits, Railway Roundabout (I have the DVD boxed set), the Penny tray (with Flying Saucers, Shrimps, liquorice, Black Jacks etc), Sherbet Dib Dabs, kayli, 5 Boys chocolate bars, Aztec bars and other teeth rotting substances.

Tdm

Hope I am not repeating anything, but when I was at school the Saturday morning treat for me and my school mates was to go to the "pictures" (we had 3 cinemas in Chorley), and watch the latest episode of Flash Gordon on the back row of the picture house that we nick-named the "Bug House" (I won't elaborate).

On a Saturday night it was tune in to Jack Jackson on our Cossor radio to listen to all the latest Top Twenty hits (was it Radio Luxemboug or Radio Caroline - I can't remember), and then save up the following week to buy one I liked as a big plastic 78rpm disk which I would play on my Dansette record player. By the way I paid for my records by having a weekend job potatoe picking on a nearby farm.

My transport was a Raleigh "Blue Streak" bike (named after the Rocket) with 10 derailier gears which I thought was the bees knees, and went all over in as well as using it to go to school.

Was still at school when I first started drinking beer (although under age). It was at a Saturday night dance during the interval when we would sneak out to a nearby off license and buy bottles of Youngers No. 3 which we quickly gulped down before heading back to the dance. At the dance if there were no decent looking girls we used to have a competition seeing which of me and my mates would dance with the ugliest girl there.

This thread is bringing back lots of old memories.

steve836

Quote from: newportnobby on November 18, 2014, 11:17:41 AM

I'm just wondering which of us old farts will get brain fade and repeat something that's already been posted. I could well be in the running for this :laugh:.

Sadly missed - Royal Scot biscuits, Railway Roundabout (I have the DVD boxed set), the Penny tray (with Flying Saucers, Shrimps, liquorice, Black Jacks etc), Sherbet Dib Dabs, kayli, 5 Boys chocolate bars, Aztec bars and other teeth rotting substances.

I could equally well be a contender for brain fade
I miss Magic roundabout (so totally un-PC) and proper gobstoppers which used to be about the size of a golf ball and changed colour.
Does anyone else remember a sweet,I forget the name, which had three arms like a propeller and came on a loop of string so you could make it twirl round ,
and when you got fed-up you ate it. Also how about sweet cigarettes.

Tdm

Quote from: steve836 on November 18, 2014, 11:42:53 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on November 18, 2014, 11:17:41 AM

I could equally well be a contender for brain fade
I miss Magic roundabout (so totally un-PC) and proper gobstoppers which used to be about the size of a golf ball and changed colour.
Does anyone else remember a sweet,I forget the name, which had three arms like a propeller and came on a loop of string so you could make it twirl round ,
and when you got fed-up you ate it. Also how about sweet cigarettes.

Most of the treats mentioned above you can still get on a stall at the large "Bygone Times" wharehouse in Chorley just by the Chorley exit on the M61. When visiting Chorley I usually make a point of popping in there (it's free) to stock up on a few things not normally available to buy now - it's well worth a visit there are hundreds of stalls/shops inside selling old stuff, even model railway items.

They have a website which is :- http://bygonetimes.co.uk/  if you want to take a look.

They have at least 2 outlets - the biggest one being the one by the M61 which I have mentioned, and another not far away in Eccleston on the outskirts of Chorley.

silly moo

Are these the toys that came from Jet petrol stations?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw=cereal+toys&_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40&_osacat=19077&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC2.A0.H0.XR%26L+cereal+toys+&_nkw=R%26L+cereal+toys+&_sacat=19077

We used to get the coloured kits in Kellogg's Cornflakes boxes when we lived in Zambia. I found a large collection quite recently in the "free to a good home" box at one of the local clubs. They were made by a company named R&L. They are rather nice kits, I even have some in the original cellophane wrappers.

They seem to be quite collectable in Australia.

daveg

Just remembered cut-out masks on the back of boxes of cornflakes, or has somebody said that already?

Dave G

steve836

Don't think its been said, and Weetabix used to have cut-out lorry kits on the back of theirs.

port perran

Talking of food. What happened to Five Boys Chocolate bars ?
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%