Taking a model kit on a plane on holiday?

Started by weave, October 02, 2014, 10:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weave

Hi all,

Was thinking of taking a model kit on holiday tomorrow.

Sounds boring but sometimes there are ' in the room moments ' (no jokes please) when one is asleep and the other not. SWMBO reads a lot and I don't so no problem there.

However, wondered if all the bits that could look like a bomb, glue bottles and craft knives could look dodgy!

Am going to Mexico.

Any advice? Bad idea? Go back to the bar?

Thanks weave

Malc

If you put your glue bottles in your hold luggage, space them out. That way they won't make a suspicious bundle when they X-ray your case. Otherwise it could end up at the end of the runway being blown up. :D
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

scotsoft

Apart from the customs considerations, have you given any thoughts on how you would get the model back without damaging it?  :worried:

cheers John.

DesertHound

Quote from: scotsoft on October 02, 2014, 10:40:18 AM
Apart from the customs considerations, have you given any thoughts on how you would get the model back without damaging it?  :worried:

cheers John.

Ah wise master - never a truer word has been said ...

Weave, in all honesty, you shouldl be fine taking everything in checked-in baggage. You are very unlikely to have any issues there. Just don't put liquids and sharp objects in your cabin bag (but I think you already know that).

As for getting the model home, Scotsoft makes a good point. It really depends what it is and how big it is. If it's agonizing kits then no problem - small box and in your hand luggage. A building, also ok but you'll need a bigger box - perhaps a shoe box.

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

mark100

Quote from: weave on October 02, 2014, 10:27:44 AM
Hi all,

Was thinking of taking a model kit on holiday tomorrow.

Sounds boring but sometimes there are ' in the room moments ' (no jokes please) when one is asleep and the other not. SWMBO reads a lot and I don't so no problem there.

However, wondered if all the bits that could look like a bomb, glue bottles and craft knives could look dodgy!

Am going to Mexico.

Any advice? Bad idea? Go back to the bar?

Thanks weave

Erm if you are going to the Pacific Side i.e Puerto Vallarta then you may be in for a tough time because every suitcase gets opened up before you leave the airport for the transfer coach and they are strict on what you bring in and take out. I,m not sure about the procedures for the Caribbean side of the island i.e Cancun, but why take a model kit when there is  :censored: loads to do there?

Mark

You cant get better than a Betta Fish

DesertHound

I honestly can't see a problem with a modelling knife and some glue in your hold luggage (take that from someone who flies for a profession), although I've never flown into Mexico and I rarely fly in or out of the UK, so Mark might have some info. that's pertinent to Mexico.

FWIW, the issues, if there are any, will be with local customs (again, I cannot imagine why, but I've never been to Mexico), they almost certainly won't be with airport security.

I am aware that the US is notorious for opening people's suitcases after you have checked them in. Mexico "might " be the same, but it should only really be to check for prohibited / security risk items.

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

silly moo

You might have to be careful with the glue, plastic cement leaked all over your clothes could be really messy. Make sure you put it inside a few plastic bags. If you were to take a card kit and white glue it would be potentially less messy.

You could even put some white glue in a suntan lotion bottle (making sure you didn't get it mixed up with the real thing) Another advantage of a card kit is the possibility of buying white glue at your destination. Once you've built the kit you could leave the glue and possibly the knife behind.

Security and customs officers are a rule unto themselves and you can never quite judge what they will do.

zwilnik

Assume the suitcase will be jumped up and down on by an 800lb gorilla and pack the kits and bits so they'll survive and it should be fine.

DesertHound

Something should not be removed from your suitcase unless it is a security risk or in breach of the law. The only issue I could see with glue is it falling under a Dangerous Goods (for the aircraft) category, although without checking the manuals, I hardly think in the quantities we are talking and the type of glue, this is an issue. A modelling knife in your checked in baggage is not a security risk, since it's not accessible.

I wouldn't go hiding items in different bottles, as this is just likely to get you into bother if they do decide to take issue with anything. I bring my brother cutting knives and blades for his work (similar to modelling knives) in my checked in luggage and it is fine.

I honestly think you will be fine. Unless you are taking a very expensive kit, then you don't have much to lose. There are far more dangerous things that people pack than modelling knives. I presume you're not going to be walking around the resort with your modelling knife, just getting it out to to some work in your room.

You would need some kind of box to bring your model home in, and I'd suggest bringing it hand luggage.

Silly Moo is correct in that airport security is unpredictable by it's very nature (and in some respects has to be), however, you are not really carrying anything of issue here.

The only thing I cannot speak about with any degree of confidence is the attitude of customs / police to a modelling knife in your baggage when you arrive (I've never been to Mexico). However, that's an entirely different issue to airport / airline security.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. However, that's just me. Not trying to step on other's toes (Silly Moo etc.) as we all have different experiences and tolerances and other contributors make debatable points. Do what you are comfortable with ultimately. You'll see that I posted about taking trains as cabin baggage because I wasn't sure - there's no harm in getting varied opinions and then making your own mind up.

Double wrapping glue (as mentioned) is a good point! Had a bottle of wine break in my suitcase before. Thought I was ok because it was white. Thing is, I never could quite get rid of the smell of it!

Dan

Michael Shillabeer

Hello

I've taken kits with me on business trips and bought glue and knives locally. The glue and knifes were disgarded before I left.

Unfortunately, Mexico was the only country where I couldn't find a model/hobby/craft shop! I was in industrial Mexico so you might be luckier in tourist areas.

Best regards
Michael

weave

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. Just got up. Now 3 am and haven't packed anything yet.

Taxi comes at 6 so will see what room is available.

Didn't think about getting it back intact  :dunce:

Tis Cancun with loads to do and cocktails to be had but need a bit of a railway fix as well. Will see how much room I've got in my bag after SWMBO says 'can you put these 12 dresses that I'll never wear in your bag!!!  :D'...and these snorkels  :doh:

Have got a small station building to build so will give it a go and see how I get on.

Computer isn't portable as such so will miss you all for 10 days.

Have fun and look forward to reading lots of stuff when I get back....

...if I get back  :beers:  :beers:

Salud weave

petercharlesfagg

If you want to have a peaceful ride on the forum in future?

Don't forget to bring back sticks of rock with nucnac all the way through the middle!
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

DesertHound

What's nucnac Peter? Is that the writing that goes through the middle?

Haven't had "teeth rot" sticks for years. Don't know how I used to eat them as a kid, now I think about it.

Dan

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: DesertHound on October 03, 2014, 10:19:59 AM

Haven't had "teeth rot" sticks for years. Don't know how I used to eat them as a kid, now I think about it.

Dan

Come on Dan, get with it!!!

nucnac is Cancun backwards!  I opened the wrong end of the stick of rock!   :headbutt:
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

DesertHound

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on October 03, 2014, 10:34:03 AM
Quote from: DesertHound on October 03, 2014, 10:19:59 AM

Dan

Come on Dan, get with it!!!

nucnac is Cancun backwards!  I opened the wrong end of the stick of rock!   :headbutt:

Got to give that one to you Peter!  :laughabovepost:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations