Is Radioshack heading to oblivion ?

Started by trainsdownunder, September 12, 2014, 11:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainsdownunder

Like so many other retailers that have failed to adapt. Shame in some ways but it smacks of another "head in the sand" syndrome

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/radioshack-says-may-file-bankruptcy-115714705.html

Agrippa

It shut down here years ago, that's where I got my first mobile.
A real Broadsword calling Danny Boy thing!
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Malc

I suspect Maplins will be in difficulties as well. Their stores always seem overmanned by shop assistants using their mobile phones in stead of helping customers.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Agrippa

They might as well stay on their phones because they're clueless.

Caz

I am sure I read somewhere last week that Maplins were indeed in trouble and a last ditch effort is being made to turn them around. 
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Agrippa

The thing is if you know what you're looking for they can be useful, if you have a particular component
you want but are not sure about you can handle it and see how well it's made which you can't do online.
Just don't ask the staff for advice, might as well ask the cat.

jonclox

Quote from: Caz on September 13, 2014, 10:59:50 AM
I am sure I read somewhere last week that Maplins were indeed in trouble and a last ditch effort is being made to turn them around.
Yes they are looking for somebody to buy them out and change their image. A thankless task I recon.
As has been said they are useful if you know exactly what you want but for major purchases I wouldn't touch them.
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

trainsdownunder

There seems to be a common theme with these stores. They used to be good electronic hobby/component stores. Now they all seem to want to be "off the shelf", "ready made in a bag", gizmos and "Amazon" gift shop. The quality is "Chinese" at European prices. The staff are generally pretty useless most seem to have  no knowledge other than what they can read on the packet.

They don't seem to have any idea of what is needed and then bleat that they can't compete with the "Internet" when high price is mentioned.

Stop worrying about having a Facebook page or Twitter account. Drop all the gizmos - most can be bought from China at a a fraction of the cost. Get back to what you used to be. A good supply of electronic components and provide a service.

I'm sure some of this is this a result of dumbing down through use of IT. Will our next generation be at a lost if there is ever a "tech" failure (some are now).

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations