My Ultimate Challenge,

Started by mark100, September 03, 2014, 05:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark100

Its Xmas coming up and already on my Sons layout we have 12 I.S.M Peaks.

Today i was sent out on a errand to collect something and like you do when work give you a bit of freedom, you take the  :censored: and do a bit of your own shopping at their expense and blame the traffic.

I brought from a second hand shop a 45114 in BR blue, the livery on it is awful, i cant believe BR Faded the class 45s (the real mans loco) out of service with the last one looking rather Gay with a big rose on the cabside.

Anyway I have been looking at certain websites linked to this forum and read a few posting and have seen how much Gareth spends on weathering kits and they cost a lot for what they are.

I have built classic bikes and cars over the past 25 years and spray them myself and have a good experience primering.

I am going to do a weathered Faded BR Blue Class 45 using 1 shade of paint which is going to be white primer which is quite absorbant. plus varnish to seal the finish product

My wife has more than enough eye shadows and blushers in differant shades of yellow, whites, blues, greens and turquiose and i am going to apply them onto the white primer and then use the blacks, greys and browns to do the exhaust areas etc. and once done I will post a picture on here and prove that you dont need paint to do a model locomotive. And it will go to my lad for Xmas.

The fact is, some of the eye shadows she gets cost less than 99p off eBay from China with free postage and do the same as those expensive weathering kits.

Mark

You cant get better than a Betta Fish

Newportnobby

Look forward to seeing the results, Mark :thumbsup:
I have 2 sisters I can raid for suitable colours >:D

mark100

Quote from: newportnobby on September 03, 2014, 09:20:13 PM
Look forward to seeing the results, Mark :thumbsup:
I have 2 sisters I can raid for suitable colours >:D

:thankyousign:  And my next project after this, I am going to 3D print a fish tank ornament in granite of a class 45 locomotive once we get the equipment installed, Ive got some fish that need to know who the boss is :veryangry:

Mark

steve836

Quote from: mark100 on September 03, 2014, 05:24:24 PM
Its Xmas coming up and already on my Sons layout we have 12 I.S.M Peaks.

Whats I.S.M?
I like Peaks' having lived in Derby for 20 years but still think they looked best in green.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

red_death

mark100

There are actually 2 I.S.M Peaks on eBay, 1 in kit form from antique toys and a RTR version from someone else :doh:,  The original green livery looks great on them, biut some then went into a bland green livery later on and the Tinsley green version at the end of their service was awful.

The good thing is there are a few Prerserved Peaks not far from where i live at Ruddington and Loughborough and there maybe one left on the Battlefield line which didnt look to good the last time i saw it, if they dont want it, then im sure it could become a static exhibit in one of our fields for me to keep the gardening tools and lawnmower in  :thumbsup:

Mark

mark100

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=18946

I did 2 Peaks, I was hoping the yellow would take to the primer but it would not, the Blues/whites/greys used are eye shadows and blushers applied to the white primer which created a faded look.

I used class 41 split headcodes to do the class 45

:thankyousign: :thankyousign:

Mark

Newportnobby

It's not often you get a couple of Peaks batting their eyelashes at you like that - great job :thumbsup:

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

mark100

Thanks For the thumbs up, I have put the glazing back in and painted the hand rails, here is the actual finished result.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=18950

Cheers Mark

mark100

I forgot to mention, they are my first ever locomotives that I have done.

Andrew (AEM) has sent me a class 41 kit to do in faded green for his site and a 47901 roof panel to do a faded/weathered BR blue 47901.

:thankyousign:

Mark

mark100

red_death

That is some nice weathered blue you have given to those Peaks!

Cheers, Mike

Newportnobby

I can't see from the photo of materials used - what did you use to seal the powders with please Mark?

mark100

Quote from: red_death on November 24, 2014, 02:35:21 PM
That is some nice weathered blue you have given to those Peaks!

Cheers, Mike
Thanks
I'm now waiting on the Wife to sort out her green eye shadows so I can do a faded green class 41 for Andrews and Gareth's site.
On the Peaks, I used a pencil rub decal sheet HN1 and every time I applied a layer of colours, I coated the shells with a spray of matt varnish to seal them before applying the next layer of colours, I had to wet the eye shadow to make it spread, but both locos turned out OK in the end.
:thankyousign: Mark

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations