Oil

Started by Wishmaster, August 05, 2014, 11:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wishmaster

Simple question: What's the best oil/lubricant for N Gauge locos and where do you apply it?

Bealman

Many different replies will be forthcoming, but I'm jumping in first... apply whatever it is SPARINGLY.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Personally I use the Gaugemaster GM619 which comes with a needle applicator, and apply it to gears, worms (when necessary) and sometimes to the motion on steam locos.
As has been said, if you can see it you've used too much.
With a large collection of locos inevitably some don't get run for a while so I give the gears a very light oiling before running them.

Wishmaster

Quote from: newportnobby on August 05, 2014, 11:21:03 AM
Personally I use the Gaugemaster GM619 which comes with a needle applicator...

Stupid question... does that come complete with the oil?

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Wishmaster on August 05, 2014, 11:02:59 AM
Simple question: What's the best oil/lubricant for N Gauge locos and where do you apply it?

A light sewing machine type oil such as Daywat (which is what Graham Farish themselves used on the models built in the UK).

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

scotsoft

This video may give you some guidelines even though the lubrication is being done on an American loco.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlcdWhe6hn4

Thanks to Mike Fifer for posting this video  :claphappy:

cheers John.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Wishmaster on August 05, 2014, 11:29:34 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on August 05, 2014, 11:21:03 AM
Personally I use the Gaugemaster GM619 which comes with a needle applicator...

Stupid question... does that come complete with the oil?

Not a stupid question but the answer is yes. Prices vary between £4.50 - £5.00 dependent on source

d-a-n

Dapoil - when the locos need it!

RussellH

I used to use slick50 synthetic but the aerosol got discontinued so now use synthetic engine oil (vauxhall) - its thinner than the grease bachmann use, hasnt attacked any plastics yet, doesnt evaporate and the dibbles from the can after an oil change does alot of locos. Applied to any parts that are in contact with any stationary parts - sparingly. More is not better. Either a very fine needle applicator or better with a pin dipped in a drip of it. Not on the carbon brushes - makes a serious mess.
Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations