How many are "too many"?

Started by D1042 Western Princess, March 22, 2014, 06:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengi

Quote from: joe cassidy on March 27, 2014, 01:04:13 PM
I suppose that if this debate was on a female-dominated forum instead of a male-dominated one we would be talking about shoes  :)

My wife definitely has more shoes than I have locos, and I can buy 2 locos for the price of one of her pairs of shoes :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Joe
I thought this was a female-dominated forum . . .  :P ;)  :laugh:  :P :bounce:   :P

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Dr Al

Quote from: Agrippa on March 27, 2014, 11:48:36 PM
The obvious answer is if you have more locos than you can run realistically on your layout
you have too many.

I don't agree - I have many more than I can run at once, but that is because I have sets from various eras and regions that I wouldn't generally run together - it allows me to ring the changes and run western region steam one day and modern image diesel electric the next for instance.

I let the trains set the scene, with the layout being more of a backdrop for them.

I don't see there's much debate here - each to their own, though I can understand those who may be a bit dischuffed when they hear how much stock others have. But to them I'd say look for cheap non-runners that can be refurbished - it's a cheap way of getting more stock, learning how to maintain and improve them - it's how I started gaining stock I wanted about 10 years ago when not much new was being produced (Bachmann had just taken over Farish, Dapol weren't in the game yet) and therefore secondhand prices for good runners had skyrocketed.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Ozymandias

My (other) two penn'rth....

As a serial and self confessed "accumulator", I reckon you can never have too many nice things.

Even if you have just one loop of track, putting a different loco on it changes everything about it - the period, the location, the whole feel. And even if you just like the look of a particular loco, that alone is a good enough reason to have it.

I am the same about guitars (I have ten!). I have two classical guitars - but one's a "classic" Spanish guitar and the other a lute guitar - they look and sound entirely different. Same with my (some home-made!) electric guitars. They are functional, beautiful and most importantly they bring me enormous joy - and what could possibly be wrong with that?

So unless you have so many locos that you can't see the floor/get into bed at night without rolling onto a stray Jinty, I would have as many as you like.
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

ParkeNd

Some of the responses infer that C J Freezer was wrong to suggest that there is a difference between "want" and "required" and the basis for that disagreement is that modern lifestyle differences, priorities, having access to enough finance, and just wanting to buy more, overrides "the requirement of the layout".

Though no-one is suggesting it is a sin, the same logic can be applied to justify other excesses to requirement by denying that "requirement" is not a valid concept if it doesn't suit the individual. Like obesity. One could just as easy discount the 1700-2200 calories per day requirement and say that because someone has enough access to finance, sets it as their priority, wants to, and it is there lifestyle choice, they can eat as many burgers and as much pizza as they want because it is there right to be 18 stone. There is no such thing, therefore, as too much food.

The OP didn't ask the model rail equivalent of "how many burgers do you eat", she asked "how many burgers are too many".

Dr Al

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 28, 2014, 10:05:42 AM
The OP didn't ask the model rail equivalent of "how many burgers do you eat", she asked "how many burgers are too many".

Only the OP can decide this when it comes to locos on an individual basis as there is no right answer!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Tank

I agree with Alan.  I think most people have taken the original question as humorous, as it's obvious that there is no clear answer as to too many!  As I stated, it depends on everyone's individual circumstances as to the number they have, and why I stated (after ParkeNd asked) that I had 150 loco's, but had to sell them to buy DCC loco's  Clearly I had too many for my finances.

Sprintex

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 28, 2014, 10:05:42 AM

I'm not sure Greg (aka D1042 Western Princess) will be too pleased with being called a "she" either!  :laugh:

Paul

Agrippa

Quote from: Dr Al on March 28, 2014, 09:22:21 AM
Quote from: Agrippa on March 27, 2014, 11:48:36 PM
The obvious answer is if you have more locos than you can run realistically on your layout
you have too many.

I don't agree - I have many more than I can run at once, but that is because I have sets from various eras and regions that I wouldn't generally run together - it allows me to ring the changes and run western region steam one day and modern image diesel electric the next for instance.

I let the trains set the scene, with the layout being more of a backdrop for them.

I don't see there's much debate here - each to their own, though I can understand those who may be a bit dischuffed when they hear how much stock others have. But to them I'd say look for cheap non-runners that can be refurbished - it's a cheap way of getting more stock, learning how to maintain and improve them - it's how I started gaining stock I wanted about 10 years ago when not much new was being produced (Bachmann had just taken over Farish, Dapol weren't in the game yet) and therefore secondhand prices for good runners had skyrocketed.

Cheers,
Alan

Yes Dr A , I agree your point about having stock for different eras and regions, I was thinking more of someone with a huge number of locos languishing (can locos languish?) in a cabinet or on a shelf which will never see
a wheel turn.

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Newportnobby

Like others, I have locos to suit different eras but have deliberately not stated a number as I have no wish to give ammunition to ParkeNd to fire in this thread. I'm afraid his continuous goading, baiting and general 'stirring of the pot' does nothing for the discussion and so, like a Dragon "I'm out" (and no, I'm not up to 100 .............yet)

Agrippa

NN if you were Duncan Bannatyne it would be " Ahm oot !", as in "Ah dinnae  see any future for this new fangled
television apparatus so Ahm oot ! ".

Ps Goading, baiting and stirring of the pot sound like Gordon Ramsay............:D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Rob H

Quote from: newportnobby on March 28, 2014, 11:59:58 AM
Like others, I have locos to suit different eras but have deliberately not stated a number as I have no wish to give ammunition to ParkeNd to fire in this thread. I'm afraid his continuous goading, baiting and general 'stirring of the pot' does nothing for the discussion and so, like a Dragon "I'm out" (and no, I'm not up to 100 .............yet)

Very well said Mick, hope you're feeling a lot better, :beers:

Best wishes,

Rob.
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

CarriageShed

Quote from: Sprintex on March 28, 2014, 10:35:38 AM
I'm not sure Greg (aka D1042 Western Princess) will be too pleased with being called a "she" either!  :laugh:

There may be more than one of us- I mean you lot who are guilt of making that mistake. But what can you expect when a bloke calls himself a princess!  :-[

ParkeNd

Quote from: newportnobby on March 28, 2014, 11:59:58 AM------------------------- as I have no wish to give ammunition to ParkeNd to fire in this thread. I'm afraid his continuous goading, baiting and general 'stirring of the pot' does nothing for the discussion and so, like a Dragon "I'm out" (and no, I'm not up to 100 .............yet)

Hope you are improving Mick - and will soon be powering along.

There was no intention to goad and stir the pot - just that I thought it had the potential to be a one of the best threads yet - especially if people didn't read the original question as "how many locos do you have"

However - this post convinces me to retire to just reading other peoples threads - and maybe a once a month simple post on the Parkend Layout thread.

Maybe I'll be back one day but much later on.

But get well Mick.

Chris

RussellH

Quote from: Dr Al on March 28, 2014, 09:22:21 AM

Cheers,
Alan

If you have more than you can sensibly store - only then is it probably too many and will end up on "the hoarder next door" type programs. If you can store them safely and they get an occasional run then why not, especially if you run stuff from a wide period and many locations you need a fair few.

Iv learned to buy just what I really want.

regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Newportnobby

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 28, 2014, 01:28:17 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on March 28, 2014, 11:59:58 AM------------------------- as I have no wish to give ammunition to ParkeNd to fire in this thread. I'm afraid his continuous goading, baiting and general 'stirring of the pot' does nothing for the discussion and so, like a Dragon "I'm out" (and no, I'm not up to 100 .............yet)

There was no intention to goad and stir the pot - just that I thought it had the potential to be a one of the best threads yet - especially if people didn't read the original question as "how many locos do you have"

Sorry to labour the point, Chris, but this thread (and several others) contain goading posts as, it seems to me, if you're not really interested in the thread concerned you enjoy tweaking other folks tails. As for stating this had the potential to be one of the best threads yet - you have previously been most vociferous in denigrating those who show their latest loco purchase and have lambasted them relentlessly :confused2:

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 28, 2014, 01:28:17 PM

However - this post convinces me to retire to just reading other peoples threads - and maybe a once a month simple post on the Parkend Layout thread.

That is obviously a choice for you personally. I consider it a shame though as, in the main, I enjoy your posts and think your layout thread is excellent.

Thanks also for your good wishes following my hip replacement.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations