Parcels Exchange Platforms ??

Started by port perran, March 18, 2014, 09:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Having completed installation of point motors on Port Perran, I've been having "fun" this evening with cardboard templates redesigning the footprint of Port Perran station layout.
I'm considering adding a parcels exchange platform which will be stand alone and not connected either to the main station platforms or the road network.   The idea being that parcels/light goods are unloaded from one train and put onto another. This would tie in with my eventual proposed extension of Western Region  Port Perran to Southern Region Padstow area ie Western Parcels transferring to Southern trains or vice versa.
I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of such a platform (and this type of operation) but cannot remember in what book or where in Britain that platform would have been based. Does anyone know if such a practise actually existed (late 50s/early 60s)?
If so, I can legitimately model it or,  I can simply go with Rule 1.
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

Bluestone

I think Cardiff Riverside had it from about 1950s-1990s

Karhedron

Basingstoke had one which is still present. I think it is used for accessing multiple units which are stabled there for cleaning. It is on the south side of the line between the station and the Norn Hill bridge.

It is visible in this shot between the end of the the stabled DMUs and the road bridge.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Basingstoke_train_station_1.jpg

I do not normally advocate making a model of a model but in the absence of a clearer photo of the real thing, you can see the structure on the left of this photo of the Farnham MRCs "Basingstoke" layout (one of my favourite N gauge layouts).

http://farnhammrc.org.uk/?attachment_id=256
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations