The Die is Cast! I'm a British N Gauger.

Started by scottmitchell74, February 15, 2014, 04:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmitchell74

With butterflies in my stomach I pushed "complete" and changed my future in model railroading.

When I finished my first (and only) layout I said "never again". I was happy with what I have. However, model railroading's siren song sucked me back in.

So, I was debating T-Gauge (really, really close on that), Z Scale and British N Gauge. No matter what, I wanted to do a British scene.

Well, Z Scale is mostly devoid of British. T Gauge has it, but it's tiny and the diesels I want are 3d right now and I'd have to paint them. British N Gauge models are gorgeous, exotic (to me) and my visit to the UK in 09 made me fall in love with the place, so the stars seem to have aligned.

The final piece to this was help from you guys. I've been around here a few weeks or so chatting, researching, learning, etc...and this has been one of the two friendliest forums I've ever been to. You guys  really helped me come to the conclusion I have.

These were my first purchase from Ehattons (hands-down the best prices and service I've come across):

Graham Farish   371-079-LN  Class 25/3 diesel D7638 in BR two-tone green
Graham Farish   371-587   Class 46 diesel D186 in BR blue   
Graham Farish   372-920   Deltic Prototype DP1 Blue & Cream   
Graham Farish   377-079A  7 Plank End Door Wagon 'Firestone Tyres'.   
Graham Farish   377-310A    20 ton brake van in LMS grey)
Graham Farish   377-926   PCA Metalair Bulk Powder Wagon Grey.   
Peco Products   NR-P57a   Pallet van "Ford" B787044   
Peco Products   NR-P57b   Pallet van "Ford" B787047   
Peco Products   NR-P57c   Pallet van "Ford" B787398   

I have leftover supplies from my first layout and everything else will be added over time as funds become available. I'm completely sold on Union Mills and will add to my roster from them. As you can see, I'm mixing eras. I'm going to apply Rule One liberally.

Thanks again, guys! Thanks for the help. It's nice knowing I have a new home here to continue to learn, share a little of what I know, and just chat about other things.

Woo!  :Class37:
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

silly moo

:welcomesign: we look forward to seeing how your layout progresses. I agree with you, this is one of the friendliest forums out there   :D

Regards

Veronica.

Bealman

Congratulations buddy! Welcome to British Railways! You're gonna have to get a new passport!  ;D

Look forward to hearing of developments!

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Thanks for all the compliments, Scott and, as a BR transition modeller, I am sure you'll have a great deal of enjoyment with your new purchases. Much has been said about the possibility of getting a 'lemon' over the water and having to return it, so I suggest you ask the NGF collective their thoughts on any loco you intend to purchase before committing to it.

ozzie Bill.

Well done Scott and I really hope you love BR N Scale as much as you seem to have loved Britain. Cheers, Bill.

d-a-n

Congratulations for taking the plunge! What track are you running it all on?

Geoff

Well done that person you will not be disapointed.
Geoff

Dock Shunter

Welcome to British N Gauge Scott..... :NGaugersRule:
The Class 25 you have bought,whilst basic in design  is a really good running loco.
The Deltic is a lovely "weighty" model and a nice runner.
I don't have a 46 to compare i'm afraid.

I am sure you will enjoy your purchases when they arrive from Old Blighty.... :thumbsup:

:beers:...Ste

scottmitchell74

Thanks again everyone for the kind words and advice. Some great advice about VAT and someone mentioned in the Class 46 thread (I think) about calling the CC company ahead of time to warn them about foreign transactions. Great tip!

I'm really excited about seeing my purchases when they come. As far as track, I haven't gotten that far. I'm going to try and set up a running-in oval with my leftover
Atlas track, but what I end up with will be determined in the future.

I'd love to run the British models on my current layout, but I have this one extremely tight squeeze where 1:160 barely passes by (and some of my stock rubs) so I don't know if the 1:148 will make it through that section.

No matter what, it's the journey that's the most fun, isn't it? I think that's why we never stop fiddling, planning and dreaming about trains.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

mr magnolia

Scott
even though the 1:148 scale is nominally 'bigger', the locos and rolling stock in real life are much smaller so you should be fine to run the models straight onto your existing layout.
I had to send the tunnelers into my British tunnels to widen things to let my American box cars through.
Donald

scottmitchell74

Quote from: mr magnolia on February 16, 2014, 05:41:13 PM
Scott
even though the 1:148 scale is nominally 'bigger', the locos and rolling stock in real life are much smaller so you should be fine to run the models straight onto your existing layout.
I had to send the tunnelers into my British tunnels to widen things to let my American box cars through.
Donald

Ah, that's good info, and makes perfect sense. I hope they do fit, because during the eternity it will take to plan and build a new layout I'll get to have my new British stock interloping on B&O rail, confusing all those looking on.

scotsoft

Hi Scott,

While you wait on your bumper box of fun from eHattons, if you wished you could make up some tyres for your Graham Farish 377-079A 7 Plank End Door Wagon 'Firestone Tyres' by following this tutorial I did a while back.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=2496.msg26334#msg26334

cheers John.

Raymond

Nice choice Scott.

Did you model US stuff before?

I'm just starting a new layout too. Looking forward to some pictures.
I like sitting in my hottub with a beer or two......

scottmitchell74

Quote from: Raymond on February 16, 2014, 06:43:50 PM
Nice choice Scott.

Did you model US stuff before?

I'm just starting a new layout too. Looking forward to some pictures.

Yes, I have a basic Scenic Ridge (WS) layout that is a very late 50s US scene set somewhere in the tri-state areas of Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia. B&O is the main theme, with C&O, Chessie and a little Conrail for fun.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations